Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
got mine today. excited to try them this weekend. i hate these short days.

plastic is nice but its pretty stiff. is that normal for pinnacle? (even moreso the icon ghosts i got... can hardly bend them at all)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Anyone get some throws in with the Rival yet? Curious as to what I should expect when mine gets here...
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Anyone get some throws in with the Rival yet? Curious as to what I should expect when mine gets here...
see post 276, my review
Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Gracias!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Review:

1 Milimeter wider and 5 milimeters flatter. I was hoping that it would not affect the flight that much.

Player Profile: 380-420 max with a Pinnacle Canon. I use a Leopard from 280-330 and TeeBird from 300-370 depending on the line.

Today's condition: Foot of snow on the ground, so I was mainly looking for placement over distance. Slight wind from left to right.

Amazing resistance to turning over. It will flip and or turn ever so slightly, but otherwise laser straight from start to finish. It loves staying low to the ground, becoming more overstable if you get a little air under it, but what disc does not? It is incredibly fast, at least in comparison to a TeeBird, so it gets out there in a hurry. The line it locks onto, it holds.

So, I am not sure I would use it in a dense forest because it seems that it would have a ton of energy if it were to hit a tree, at least more so than a TeeBird. However, if you need a lot of straight distance, this is definitely the disc you will reach for. I love the Pinnacle plastic and the stability of this disc, so I do not think I would use the Icon version of this.

Basically, it is a slightly worn TeeBird in stability but with more zip. However, there is a jump in speed so I would not consider it a replacement for a TeeBird. Yet if you could only carry one, you would definitely not suffer if you took the Rival.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 AM
* Ace Member *

^nice review smarkquart! May have just tipped me to snagging one!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Review:

1 Milimeter wider and 5 milimeters flatter. I was hoping that it would not affect the flight that much.

Player Profile: 380-420 max with a Pinnacle Canon. I use a Leopard from 280-330 and TeeBird from 300-370 depending on the line.

Today's condition: Foot of snow on the ground, so I was mainly looking for placement over distance. Slight wind from left to right.

Amazing resistance to turning over. It will flip and or turn ever so slightly, but otherwise laser straight from start to finish. It loves staying low to the ground, becoming more overstable if you get a little air under it, but what disc does not? It is incredibly fast, at least in comparison to a TeeBird, so it gets out there in a hurry. The line it locks onto, it holds.

So, I am not sure I would use it in a dense forest because it seems that it would have a ton of energy if it were to hit a tree, at least more so than a TeeBird. However, if you need a lot of straight distance, this is definitely the disc you will reach for. I love the Pinnacle plastic and the stability of this disc, so I do not think I would use the Icon version of this.

Basically, it is a slightly worn TeeBird in stability but with more zip. However, there is a jump in speed so I would not consider it a replacement for a TeeBird. Yet if you could only carry one, you would definitely not suffer if you took the Rival.
How did they grip in the cold snow for you? Heard these are stiffer. Just wondering cause its gonna be cold for a while here.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
How did they grip in the cold snow for you? Heard these are stiffer. Just wondering cause its gonna be cold for a while here.
I was worried about this too. I hate the comparison of Pinnacle to Champion, but what else can I compare it to? It looks kind of like Gold Line but the feel is completely different. I have absolutely no grip on Gold Line in the winter, and my grip on Champion is only marginally better. So, for the sake of comparison I was getting the same grip I would get from Star if i can keep it clean and dry.

I had only one throw that came out a little late and another that got elevated a little higher than I would like, but otherwise when keeping them dry I had no other issues. They came out smooth and clean. It was approximately 25 degrees when I played.

So, basically, I felt confident getting snap behind these disc and could still maintain accuracy on the line and height I intended (I was taking a lot of practice throws from the parking lot into the baseball field. The lot was in far better shape than most tee boxes.).
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Thanks! Smarkquart!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
I played a round today at my home course with an orange 173g Rival. But first i started in the football field so i wouldn't be throwing it blindly off the tee. Here are my impressions after throwing it in the field 6 times, and from the tee 10 or 12 times. For a benchmark, i throw OLFs 375ft, teebirds up to 350, hornet up to 320ft, Pure 280ft. I don't thrown anything faster than speed 9 (OLF/Saint).

Bottom line up front: While the Pinnacle Rival brings nothing new to the already saturated genre of moderately overstable fairway drivers, there are no huge deal breakers with this disc. It is dependable, and the plastic is near indestructable, so the flight path will stay the same with use. The Legacy fanboys and sponsored players will keep a few in their bag, use them often, and achieve desirable results.

Plastic: It's very stiff... stiffest plastic i ever felt. So stiff that i'm surprised it passed PDGA inspection. Kinda hard getting a good grip, especially when cold. It's just not very comfortable without being able to depress the plastic with my thumb. My first 4 throws in the field were early releases and i almost gave up. But i stuck with it, focused on my grip pressure and started hitting the disc very cleanly, cleaner than any disc i've thrown. At first i wasn't sure if it was because of the stiffness of the plastic or my own concentration on the grip. As i started driving from the tee, i realized it was the disc/plastic. I do think that the stiffness reduces the glide factor, detailed below.

Flight Line: For all intents and purposes, my Rival flies like a shorter QOLF, but with one caveat... no glide. Before everyone jumps down my throat, I gravitate toward high glide discs. The staples of my bag (look down in my signature) all have above average glide ratings. So it was very obvious to me on first flight that this disc does not, and there's some good and bad because of it. But the lack of glide gives this disc a very dependable flight path on a flat or hyzer release. Thrown flat and level, you'll see a little bit of turn and then some moderate finishing fade passing the 275ft mark. Thrown on a hyzer with a little bit of nose angle up, the disc locks on that line and holds the sweeping fade until the end. The lack of glide, however, doesn't help this disc on anhyzer release. The disc just drops. It does try to pull out of the turn, but when it flattens out it just flops down. I tried flexing it out on 3 different occasions, which were drives i normally flex out an OLF 350ft. The Rival barely got 200 before hitting dirt -- all three times. My hornets are better on flex shots, and that is disappointing. Maybe a softer plastic would help.

Other thoughts: Whenever i used the Rival for a drive i would normally throw my OLF (excluding flex shots), it fell 20-40ft short of what i can normally reach, but on the same flight line. Which makes sense since it's a slower speed rating than the OLF. It's very nose angle friendly, like a teebird and can continue to penetrate forward on a flat line with a bit of nose-up. I had to throw it very low with a lot of hyzer to get it to dump into the ground. The hard plastic makes it a good skip disc. It is completely overlapped in my bag with OLFs and Teebirds (when i carry them). But the rival would be a good driver to have in a smaller bag (6-8 discs) to fill that moderately overstable fairway driver slot and build around it. I anticipate the Patriot to be less overstable and have more glide to compliment the Rival.

Oh, and I scored a 53 today, which is 3 under posted par. So obviously the disc is good at something

Last edited by jrawk; 12-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.