Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER
i picked up 3 rivals from lion.... hope I like them.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrawk
I had to throw it very low with a lot of anhyzer to get it to dump into the ground.
fixed
Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

I'll take any rivals you guys don't want
Old 12-15-2012, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
fixed
I am interested to see what caused the opposite results between you and I. I did not find my Pinnacles any harder than any of my other discs, at least not in comparison from their warm state of hardness compared to how they feel in cold weather. If they are harder, I still had no grip issues whatsoever with them, especially during the same round where I was starting to develop slippage issues with my Champion discs.

I also would not consider mine overstable by any means. It is definitely stable, as in resistant to flip or turn, by they never fought into a fade, at least no more so than what I was seeing out of my hefty Leopards I was throwing along with them.

In fact, the only negative thing I could find to say about mine where that they were maybe too fast to be used in a dense forest. Mine had almost no lateral movement, both at high and low speed, and I was getting at least 350 out of them. Yet I would not feel comfortable running the gut of a narrow fairway for fear that they would have so much energy that if they were to strike a tree that they would kick incredibly deep or blast a tree into oblivion.

For the record, I have a 173 Orange and a 172 yellowish creamy white.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM
* Ace Member *

i dont have any other pinnacle legacy discs... i did get 2 icon ghosts with these and they are just as stiff maybe even stiffer. the rivals i got are the lion stamp. ive never had a champ, star, z, esp, dx, x, d, opto, gl, anything as rigid as these discs. i dunno i'll get Prerubes opinion tomorrow. shocking yours dont have any fade these are definitely nothing like leopards.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Digging the Rival so far. A bit of turn, and really stretches out when thrown on an anny/flex shot. Sexy plastic, too. Good stuff.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 88
Quote:
i dont have any other pinnacle legacy discs... i did get 2 icon ghosts with these and they are just as stiff maybe even stiffer. the rivals i got are the lion stamp. ive never had a champ, star, z, esp, dx, x, d, opto, gl, anything as rigid as these discs. i dunno i'll get Prerubes opinion tomorrow. shocking yours dont have any fade these are definitely nothing like leopards.
Agree, not like my Leopards. They are definitely fighting my TeeBirds for shots. My Leopards are dead straight but are not used for anything more than 320 feet. I would use these Rivals for shots up to 370.

The problems with reviews, and this is obviously the way it has always been and always will be, is the difference in the tester's technique. With a little time to learn the disc, I can make any disc fly with almost no turn or no fade. Some discs are easy to repeat this, others may require certain conditions.

The point I am making is that there is usually a learning curve to figure out how to do this with a disc. For example, when I first started throwing my Icon Ghosts, they seemed rather low speed overstable, making it a great pairing with my Axis. However, now that I trust the disc and have found the optimum arm speed and snap ratio, I can throw the Ghost dead-straight, making my Axis useless except for slight left to right turnover shots.

Maybe because I was anticipating the Rivals to be like TeeBirds, but there was no learning curve to this disc. I just threw and instantly it was long, fast, and laser straight. Trying to repeat this throw I had the same results. As stated before, out of 20 some shots trying to repeat, I had only one shot that deviated 15 degrees or so to the right (slight unintended anhyzer), and one that shot up to about 15-20 feet into the air instead of the 6-10 I was intending. The end result of the rest of the throws where a tight clustering ranging from 330-350 feet and all within 20 to 30 feet of each other. And this was with both my discs. However, keep in mind that there was snow on the ground, so that does slightly affect how they land.

Now, I did not want to lose these on the course as they would be a little hard to replace right now. I was alone, so no spotters, and starting at Hole 5 I would be in the woods. Any bad shot could go blind and thus dig into the snow without me seeing where. I was not going to risk them, so I confined the rest of my shots on two rather open holes that had only a few mature trees as obstacles. Still, they are not easy holes and require some line shaping to make it to the basket.

The first was 290 or so straight at the basket, but the slight elevation rise and some guardian trees next to the basket actually make a hyzer line preferable as it can crash in on the basket. Actual flight distance would then be closer to 310. The trick on this day was that the tee box was absolute horse-manure. At best you can take one step because the rest was covered with snow and ice. Throwing level only felt awkward and often resulted in grip lock as you try to maintain your balance. A slight hyzer release felt more natural. To keep my Leopards from flipping, I accidentally gave them too much hyzer. Trying to correct this with my TeeBirds and I just overtorqued them and flipped them. 5 out of 6 Rival shots were legitimately putting.

The second hole is about 300 but the basket is elevated on a small hill. The right side of the of the fairway is protected by a line of mature trees, making a hyzer line impossible. I rarely see people going straight at it because you have to get your shot elevated, running the risk of low hanging branches from those line of trees snagging you. The prefered line (assuming rhbh) is an anhyzer sky hook that either crashes in or S's out incase you intend to overshoot it a little. Tee box conditions were just as bad, affording only a one step throw. The Leopards actually performed better here, but the Rivals held their own.

I will concede this: all these shots were done on semi-open holes during practice. While I would like to believe I was being fair during this testing, there is always the possibility that I was subconsciously throwing better with the new discs because I want them to be the best, just justify their purchase. A real test, I suppose, would have been to bring them with my recorded round when I need serious shots. The testing throws made me believe that I would have made several tremendous shots during that round, but again, I did not want to run the risk of losing them two days after receiving them in the mail.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 34
Picked up a 170 and a 174 Rival today at Sylmar direct from the source, very straight with a bit of late fade for my noodly arm (parked #10 ~300ft with the 170), the 170 swirly white is super grippy, 174 is swirly salmon color significantly less grippy almost slick feel.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 34
Sorry if I missed something earlier in this thread but, isnt the patriot, not the rival, supposed to be the leopard clone, saw a test run at chavez last week that visually looked pretty close.

Quote:

Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 PM
* Ace Member *

@ smark: not debating your review at all. i was throwing them 325 ish today and flew more like an eagle than teebird. more like a shorter olf. nothing bad. just found the plastic to be foreign feeling and little glide. its a good disc. just nothing new in the land of disc golf.