Disc Golf Store
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
""Supporting The Legacy""

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 31
ahh well i can not blame you for that but buy from him in the future ...he always has what you need and at the best price...he is the man when it comes to Legacy
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Will do man! I've been keeping up with these Legacy threads. Seems like a great company that's doing lots of good for the sport. Can't wait to join in with the Rival.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 AM

Courses Played: 17
Ill jump in with my review.

I picked up a couple of these from Lion. Awesome guy.

The pinnacle plastic feels great. It's somewhere between Gold line and KC Pro, but firmer than either. Really grippy, and really beautiful.

The Profile is strikingly similar to an 11x kcpro teebird(enlarge in imgur to get a nice big pic):
http://imgur.com/CFi8s

Much flatter than a totem teebird:
http://imgur.com/9u6F4

And just a tiny bit more angular than the new firm/flat glo cfr teebirds:
http://imgur.com/1F2Nd

11x CAL teebirds just so happen to be my favorite bird so I took that as a good omen and left the teebirds and my PDS at home and swapped in just the Rivals for a round yesterday.

I used the rival from any situation where I would normally throw a teebird or a PD so I got quite a few throws with it, some powered up, some powered down.

I was getting these about 330-340 pretty consistently. Seemed like they were almost imperceptibly faster than a normal teebird, and they seemed to be going about 5-10 feet further than my regular teebirds. That could very well be the indian and not the arrow though.

These discs fly like a lightly seasoned kcpro teebird with just the tiniest bit more turn. I would put the flight rating at 7.25/4.5/-.25/1.75.

They hold a great hyzer line, with predictable fade and a tiny manageable skip.

I tried to flex them out a few times, and they weren't ideal for that, which teebirds aren't really either. They did seem to accept the turn a little better than a bird and fight out pretty well.

They work pretty well powered down (260-275 range for me). The hss doesn't kick in super early or anything.

These discs aren't going to revolutionize the game or anything. In fact, it's not like they really did anything my teebirds couldn't, but I think thats kind of the point of this release. A lot of discs claim to be a "longer teebird" or "it flies like a teebird", but this one actually might be—which I think is pretty awesome.

I don't have much experience with Legacy—just a Cannon I don't really have the arm for, but if they can make these reasonably consistently, and keep the great feel of the disc in your hand then I will almost definitely make the switch to the Rival.

I think I may have finally found the disc to kick the 11x KC pros out of my bag. Especially since I can get one of these from almost any online retailer, and I don't have to hunt for the KC Pros.

I'm super excited about this release in Icon plastic and I really want to try the Patriot next and look into Legacy's other molds.

Summary: Great disc that does what they claim it does. Not going to change the world, but feels great and flies great.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboJimbo View Post

Summary: Great disc that does what they claim it does. Not going to change the world, but feels great and flies great.
Not going to paste your whole quote, but your experiences seem almost identical to mine, especially the last statement.

The only thing that is keeping me from immediately declaring them in my bag is that I can have grown to trust my TeeBirds. I still need to develop that relationship with these Rivals. I purchase two more the other day from GGGT, bringing my total of these up to four. The last few days I have not even been playing rounds, just driving from the tees with all my Rivals, two Patriots, a Leopard, and a TeeBird. I have been getting a real good feel for how these fly.

The only knock is that they do not glide as much as I would like. The fly incredibly well and very well behaved when low to the ground, but if there is any elevation change upward off the tee, I seemed to be screwed. Or at least I need to be more conscious of how high I release it from my body. What I really like the most from these discs is that I can muscle them and not be as conscious about OAT as I would have to be with a Leopard or my seasoned Pro TeeBirds. Rivals are very forgiving without any nasty LSS if you do not hit it right.

What I am really looking forward is to see how they will fly when they beat in a little. When throwing them next to my Pinnacle Sparkle Patriots, I actually like the Patriots have that extra sliver of turn. The thing that is keeping me from liking the Patriots more is that they have more fade than the Rivals. So, if I can get the Rivals beaten in where that turn that extra sliver, and maybe knock some little more glide into them, then definitely the Rivals will be my go-to driver.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 AM

Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
What I am really looking forward is to see how they will fly when they beat in a little. When throwing them next to my Pinnacle Sparkle Patriots, I actually like the Patriots have that extra sliver of turn. The thing that is keeping me from liking the Patriots more is that they have more fade than the Rivals. So, if I can get the Rivals beaten in where that turn that extra sliver, and maybe knock some little more glide into them, then definitely the Rivals will be my go-to driver.
I'm right there with you. If the seasoning gives it just a tiny bit more glide then I'm sold. Thats also why I'm eager to try an Icon version. I've heard the icon stuff has a bit more glide to it.

I'll probably swap my max weight and 166 into the bag for now, but leave the PDs and other birds in there. I think once I can get some serious field work in with the rivals to do some true side by side comparison with the TBs then I'll know for sure if I'm ready to get rid of the oldest mold in my bag.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 86
After throwing my 173 Rival a handful of times yesterday at the course, I was surprised that it had ZERO turn for me, it would just go straight and then had a decent fade at the end. I did notice that it is much faster then Teebirds, and the pinnacle plastic is indestructible! Now, I could of just got a freakishly stable one, but it really doesn't do anything my TB's can't already. I was hoping this would have some turn, then still finish left, RHBH. I will keep it in the bag for now and give it some more throws when I can. I bet if/when they break in they are going to feel incredible in the hand. They are firm and flat I was surprised by how firm they really are.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnagal View Post
After throwing my 173 Rival a handful of times yesterday at the course, I was surprised that it had ZERO turn for me, it would just go straight and then had a decent fade at the end. I did notice that it is much faster then Teebirds, and the pinnacle plastic is indestructible! Now, I could of just got a freakishly stable one, but it really doesn't do anything my TB's can't already. I was hoping this would have some turn, then still finish left, RHBH. I will keep it in the bag for now and give it some more throws when I can. I bet if/when they break in they are going to feel incredible in the hand. They are firm and flat I was surprised by how firm they really are.
They definitely have almost no turn, so I think you have one that is a good representative of what most Rivals are like.

What I am also interested in know is how much the weather affects the disc. All of my observations have been in 20 degree weather. The Pinnacle plastic does feel firmer than what I remember my Pinnacle Cannons feeling like during the summer. I wonder if the glide and turn I am looking for out of the disc will kick back in when the plastic softens and the air thickens with the higher temps. The Rivals are so close to what I am hoping they could be.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
What I am also interested in know is how much the weather affects the disc. All of my observations have been in 20 degree weather. The Pinnacle plastic does feel firmer than what I remember my Pinnacle Cannons feeling like during the summer. I wonder if the glide and turn I am looking for out of the disc will kick back in when the plastic softens and the air thickens with the higher temps. The Rivals are so close to what I am hoping they could be.
I talked to Bamba Rico this weekend about the Rival. He and Steve purposely made the Rival blend a little harder while thinking about throwing discs in Las Vegas. He feels that once we get into the warmer months and higher temperatures, the plastic is going to be just right.

Had a few throws with the Rival I got from Lion. Found it to be surprisingly fast, straight and with a touch of fade at the end. Plan on keeping it in the bag next to my Volt and Saint.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
The temps were pretty warm down here in Florida when my Rival arrived. The plastic felt great to me, not stiff by any means. It wasn't as supple as my pearly 11X KC Pro, but way softer than any champion I have. Not at grippy as gold line yet, but it felt softer.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 18
wouldn't it be ideal to have the plastic nice in all types of weather?