Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 129
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
my rival has beat in very straight now... thought it would take longer, but its fade is almost gone. not sure how i feel about that. i liked the fade mine had. glide has gotten better as well.
hmmmmm....that does cause some concern. Mine throws nut straight now. I dont want it to start turning any time soon. how many rounds/throws would you say that you have on it?
if i were to put it in my bag it would replace the gazelle...and the rival is definitely a better flight...but my champ glo's still fly the same as when i first attained them. Gazelle is an 'in the woods' driver for me so durability is a major factor in the disc selection of that slot.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 35
I had a few field throws with my new 173 blue rival today. It's lovely to look at and the sky blue will be super easy to find on the course. It's not as stable as my new eagle but flies similar lines with less LSS. I don't mind the stiffness if they can also find a plastic with a little more tackiness like my old school stiff but grippy ce-jls.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
hmmmmm....that does cause some concern. Mine throws nut straight now. I dont want it to start turning any time soon. how many rounds/throws would you say that you have on it?
if i were to put it in my bag it would replace the gazelle...and the rival is definitely a better flight...but my champ glo's still fly the same as when i first attained them. Gazelle is an 'in the woods' driver for me so durability is a major factor in the disc selection of that slot.
probably 10 rounds at 7 throws a round, so approx 70 throws. My course is loaded with road-ob and it has scrapped on the road a few times as well as hitting some trees. Right now it is flying more like a QJLS than Eagle. It has gotten colder here and that usually makes my stuff more understable.. So hopefully that's it.

I do have a fresh one in the closet i haven't thrown since field testing day 1. Maybe i'll take it out today and compare, since they both flew the same then.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
some other comments.. quite honestly i was getting attached to this disc. I didn't think i would. I got 2 Rivals and 2 Icon Ghosts in the same order. I really liked the ghosts more at first and thought it'd knock the hornets out of the bag, but I keep going back the hornet and destroying drives with it and using the ghost less and less. I find the ghost is more like a slightly overstable z-comet than a roc now, and that's overlap city in my bag.

But the Rival was rocking that 275-300ft drive that finishes to the right (i'm LHBH). And it was the perfect disc between my hornets and QOLFs. But now it's not fading at the end anymore and overlapping with the heavy River. So...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 78
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER
So steve sent some stickers and vinyl with my sparkle patriots.... nice addition to the truck.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
How goes the Rival compare to a Champ Glo Gazelle?
Its much more overstable. It's tighter than the Champ Glo Gazelle. The Gazelle is easier to bend and shape lines, but the Rival is much less inclined to turn and keep going. The fade on the Rival is much more pronounced. It holds as very very tight S, while the Gazelle is much more of a true S.

I'm still on the fence to see which one will stay in the bag. The Rival is more predictable and I can flex some very tight lines that I couldn't with the Gazelle, but the Gazelle is much easy to shape lots of lines with. I'm tempted to keep both. Rival, overstable->, Gazelle, neutral-> River, Understable.

BTW, I played Winter Warriors this weekend and we had a high of 28 degrees. The Rival held up really well. It smacked into a couple of trees really hard and not even a scratch.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 106
I played Gregg Barsby's Legacy ace race today at Lava Creek DGC today. We were given two rivals one in the premium plastic the other one in the base line plastic. The premium plastic flew like an overstable eagle (168g and 175g). The base line plastic flew completely different. More straight and easy to flip over if too much was put into the throw. Overall I aced a hole and hit the front of the basket to take a tie for third. Super fun event and quite a TD.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 498
Interesting to hear about the base line ones which are excel. I've seen them, but never threw them. I just can't get myself to throw lesser plastics anymore if I don't have to.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 106
I preferred the feel but damn the durability scale was low. Lava is a golf course and my disc is worn in. I did enjoy the pearl in the premium plastic. The distance comp was won with a cannon.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
Interesting to hear about the base line ones which are excel. I've seen them, but never threw them. I just can't get myself to throw lesser plastics anymore if I don't have to.
My Excel Rampages fly like Cannons with more glide and more straight. I would LOVE to get a Cannon in Excel...I could probably break that pesky 450 mark. And would like to get some more light 160 Excel Rampages...effortless 400 ft.
The Ghost in excel throws really similar to the newer Ontario Rocs, or a beat DX Roc. The Icon threw more like a Cobra than a New Roc. And the Gravity Ghost flew like a 10x KC Roc with some light beating (too bad they dont maintain it). When are we going to get Pinnacle Ghosts?
Definitely give the base plastic a go....so worth it.