Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Throwing my blue Rival 171g again today, I realized how much like an Eagle it flies like. However, my 173g peach throws like a TB. The 171 was more of a 7 4 -1 1 and the 173 was more like 7 4 0 2. I was getting a lot of distance from the 173g. Is anyone else seeing this pattern with the lighter weights turning more?

I was also having a lot of release problems with the light blue being so stiff and slippery. I really wish this plastic was a bit more grippy for wet days like today after all our snow melted. I felt the orange one was a bit better but still the same problems. I think I am getting rid of the 171, because I don't really want a Eagle flight.

Last edited by tkaiser; 01-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaiser View Post
Throwing my blue Rival 171g again today, I realized how much like an Eagle it flies like. However, my 173g peach throws like a TB. The 171 was more of a 7 4 -1 1 and the 173 was more like 7 4 0 2. I was getting a lot of distance from the 173g. Is anyone else seeing this pattern with the lighter weights turning more?
It might be the colors and the spot you are intending to fill in your bag.

I have seven total, but only four which I have thrown to date. Of those four, I have a 173 Orange, two 172 Vanilla, and one 171 Vanilla. Of the 173s and 172s, they fly like 8 4 -0.25 and 1.75. Notice I have to use decimal points because they do have a little lateral movement, but not much. The 171 is closer to 8 4 -0.5 and 1.75.

However, I am always trying to throw them flat and low to the ground. I notice that when I try to throw flat with the Rivals and TeeBirds, or any disc that I can trust will remain flat because of their HSS, I use more shoulder and waist rotation in my motion, using more body power so I do not have to go 100 percent on my snap.This is where they excel for me and I can get them out to 340-360 dead straight. When I use discs like Valkyries or something that I know will flip, then I am more arm and snap. I have not bothered to see if I would get different results out of the Rival if I throw like this because, honestly, I really like what I have seen out of them so far the way I throw them now.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Of the 173s and 172s, they fly like 8 4 -0.25 and 1.75. Notice I have to use decimal points because they do have a little lateral movement, but not much. The 171 is closer to 8 4 -0.5 and 1.75.
I would agree with the decimal points. I say the heavier ones are right in between a 7 and an 8 for speed. The blue is more of a 7 though. The glide is pretty close to a 4. LSS is about the same between the two weights as you have stated. I guess for me, the 171 just doesn't fit a spot in the bag.

I was throwing the peach with more of an anhyzer release and it would fly like a -0.25 or 0.50 and then would turn during the last bit of flight. I don't think I will keep the blue, because I was trying to get more of a TB then an Eagle flight. I was getting great results with the peach.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
so for some reason i took my teebird to an ice bowl today instead of my rival... that was a mistake.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
so for some reason i took my teebird to an ice bowl today instead of my rival... that was a mistake.
What were you missing from the rival that the teebird didn't give you? I am hoping to put teebirds behind me with the rival. With the few throws I have had I think it's gonna take that slot.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
I have a friend that just bought a Rival and I gave it a toss after doubles action today. There was a disc golf store less than half a minute from the course (Disc Stalker) and I went ahead and bought one, along with a clutch and ghost. My first throw with my new disc wasn't bad, but I messed up my footing and pull through and the shot was only so-so. We move on to hole two (Alexander Disc Golf Course btw) and boom! Aced! I am only posting this here because the flight was exactly the flight I was hoping the Rival would give me, it just so happened that I hit chains.

The flight was a flat hard line that went very straight with some fade just at the tail end of the shot. I am pleased and would say the disc's flight numbers are about 8,3.5,0,2. This fits in my bag and will not leave!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Par Member

Picked up a 172 Rival in white/green (almost looks like glow plastic). Its nice and stiff and dead flat. I had no issues with it being slippery. Throws identical to my flat 11x tb and 11x kc's. Like most people have said, it has a HSS of about -0.25. Very little turn when thrown flat to slight hyzer at 340+. I found it to be very comfortable in the 330-350' range, but I could get it out to about 370+ if I really hucked it. I loved this disc right away! It immediately replaced my newer slightly domier champ TB which exhibited a bit more turn (probably a -1). Great compliment for my beat hyzer-flip/no fade TB! I hope they can continue to mold these up as flat as the one I've got cuz that means I'll never have to worry about losing/replacing my old flat 11x TB's!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 542
the white and white/yellows just happen to be the most domey of all the rivals I have notices. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeftrout View Post
Picked up a 172 Rival in white/green (almost looks like glow plastic). Its nice and stiff and dead flat. I had no issues with it being slippery. Throws identical to my flat 11x tb and 11x kc's. Like most people have said, it has a HSS of about -0.25. Very little turn when thrown flat to slight hyzer at 340+. I found it to be very comfortable in the 330-350' range, but I could get it out to about 370+ if I really hucked it. I loved this disc right away! It immediately replaced my newer slightly domier champ TB which exhibited a bit more turn (probably a -1). Great compliment for my beat hyzer-flip/no fade TB! I hope they can continue to mold these up as flat as the one I've got cuz that means I'll never have to worry about losing/replacing my old flat 11x TB's!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 38
I spoke to several people who recently played a legacy ace race with rivals. I was shocked to hear what they said. none of them liked it. one person did say it wasn't bad, but no way was it replacing his teebird. They did all however say they really like the pinnacle plastic.

Anyone here not liking them?

I am still yet to throw the couple I got from Lion.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 38
Oh and they said they had two different plastics.