Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
I'd rather throw my QOLF if its a spike hyzer, a big headwind, or over 350' as they go 5-10% further than Rivals for me. I have a few legend rivals that have a decent dome that handle big wind just fine, comparable to brinster teebirds. Don't be afraid of the rival dome, it not only adds stability it also adds gllide. However, I prefer the flatter QOLF for my sidearm and feel its beef fits fine between my firebird and rivals for big wind or tourney days when you never know what you're gonna get.
yeah, i can see that 350' spot. after all, it's all about comfortable power levels. if you push a rival to the max it will probably get close to the QOLF, but the rival will pretty much be for in tight woods and low lines anyway where i will be throwing less than full power. the QOLF and SOLF will be my controlled distance drivers, though the 1.1 SOLF has enough turn out of the box to be an incredibly good woods driver and i do use it often.

good things.

and good to know about the dome.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 11:26 PM
* Ace Member *

lulz rival is back in the bag. picked up a 168 gummy, a 173 white icon and a FAF 175 snot yellow with a higher pl.

gstar teebird doesn't know what hit it.

i love the teebird but it was causing bag confusion especially since my newer green gstar is already sorta mangled and couldn't take the power it could like a week ago. plus i found out that gstar sucks in the rain much worse than anything else i've ever thrown. so i went to GGGT and sifted through all their rivals and hit up airborn disc emporium too (might have to go back; cute disc golf girl works there . . . ) just to see what's up.

i checked some rivals with high shoulders as recommended above; they had lower PLH than all of the other rivals. the color was green; perhaps other colors are better.

i think the rival/patriot combo is a better combo than teebird/patriot.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 19
The rival has been treating me well, i have about 8 of them now in various colors, plastics, runs, first runs, etc..

The legend plastic rival i just picked up has awesome grip and flys the same as the pinnacle for me, unfortunately its not the gunmetal ones that people claim are more stable.

I'm throwing the rivals about 350 comfortably.

Overall, im very happy with the consistency of Legacy discs, i haven't found any rivals that are too different from one another which is nice considering the variations i have tested.

Now they need to fill out the lineup!
Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

The main difference I have seen every store I've gone to is that the icon rivals seem to mold up consistently with less shoulder than the pinnacles sometimes have. The icons seem to have less variance. I see flatter pinnacles but I never see domier icons.

The teebird has more distance in it, but I can put the rival out pretty far too so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. My technique must have gotten better.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post

Teebirds excel at locking onto a line for a long time where as Rivals will hit more lines including straightish IF released with enough power and finesse. Rivals are my off season winter time CE Eagles substitute but I'm still going to carry a g*teebird for out of the box stable to bridge the gap between my eagles/rivals and my stable to understable QJLSs. I guess I could bag a big domey rival for big headwinds but my 1.2 QOLFs are more reliable and being flatter are easier for me to flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
The legend plastic rival i just picked up has awesome grip and flys the same as the pinnacle for me, unfortunately its not the gunmetal ones that people claim are more stable.

Now they need to fill out the lineup!
I've got a couple gunmetal legends and I'd say they're a half tick more overstable than my flat blue pinnacle first runs... their color aint great I've found they end up in about the same place as they don't skip like the pinnacles do.

Now they need to fill out the lineup... with production Legend!

How are the Icon Rivals (wt., color?) flying and holding up compared to pinnacle and or legend?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
lulz rival is back in the bag. picked up a 168 gummy, a 173 white icon and a FAF 175 snot yellow with a higher pl.

gstar teebird doesn't know what hit it.

i love the teebird but it was causing bag confusion especially since my newer green gstar is already sorta mangled and couldn't take the power it could like a week ago. plus i found out that gstar sucks in the rain much worse than anything else i've ever thrown. so i went to GGGT and sifted through all their rivals and hit up airborn disc emporium too (might have to go back; cute disc golf girl works there . . . ) just to see what's up.

i checked some rivals with high shoulders as recommended above; they had lower PLH than all of the other rivals. the color was green; perhaps other colors are better.

Important part of the post in red.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Birdie Member

I havent been able to find a legend rival as os as my two faf pinnacle rivals. All 5 of my legend ones have some turn.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Do you have any gunmetal rivals? i hear those are more OS.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

I'd rather go find the faf pinnacles than pay for gunmetal. They are plenty os.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 PM

whats faf? not sure i have heard that term before