Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Maybe, but I'm not convinced that just increasing the amount of players will change the culture. Most players who are interested in tournaments want to play them and don't generally show up just to watch, and most casual players don't know or don't care about events.
The key may be "most players". Maybe 95% of players will never be spectators. But if the number of players grow enough, that 5% may be marketable.

Or maybe not.

But my 4 1/2 year old nephew is a disc golfer and a disc golf fanatic. He watches videos over and over. He throws minis at a mini-basket, with a running commentary, "Nikko hits the wall!" "Nate Doss makes the putt!" Get enough like him, and you've got a market in the making.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Someday....

I just started playing last year . Totally addicted ,played my first tier C last Saturday . Watched as many you tubes as I could to try to learn, watched Disc golf planet tv whenever it was on but was totally bummed that it was payperview. but I did see Friday on my iPad ,free and still haven't figured out why !
Watching Deep In The Game , it was a joke to see Avery driving that piece of crap car ! Is that how a World Champ lives? Really ? Hard to promote when most of us have better rigs to travel to other courses .
I had no idea how little support there is , I prolly don't know about what's really going on behind the scenes. But I would like to say that it would be sad to see Nike, Salomon or any sports monolith whore out the sport . For a sport that costs as little as $10,000 to get people out walking( our little tree course is over 3miles long) , I can't imagine why there isn't more courses . But that's what it's going to take to get people out.
Having said all that, I WILL be at a Worlds someday , to spectate and be able to play a sport beside World Champions. And play the same courses that they play on. I can't wait.....
Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordEzo View Post
... watched Disc golf planet tv whenever it was on but was totally bummed that it was payperview. but I did see Friday on my iPad ,free and still haven't figured out why !
Watching Deep In The Game , it was a joke to see Avery driving that piece of crap car ! Is that how a World Champ lives? Really ? Hard to promote when most of us have better rigs to travel to other courses .
I had no idea how little support there is , I prolly don't know about what's really going on behind the scenes.....
There's part of your answer.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordEzo View Post
Watching Deep In The Game , it was a joke to see Avery driving that piece of crap car ! Is that how a World Champ lives? Really ? Hard to promote when most of us have better rigs to travel to other courses
that "piece of junk" car avery is driving in that vid is a refurbed classic worth a buttload more than what most disc golfers i see drive to any course...