#21  
Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Mr. JY Mr. JY is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Courses Played: 11
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgl View Post
I thought you are allowed to touch your mini, just not the top of it:

Rule 803.04 A. (2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
The rule implies "marker disc" to mean any portion of the "marker disc". You're either touching it or you're not.

The visual chart is an excellent resource!!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
jdawgl's Avatar
jdawgl jdawgl is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post
no you're not wrong but that's not the way the rule is written.

But your Mini is not fixed to the ground at a constant point. Therefore if you're touching your mini your foot may or may not have moved your mini or marker disc forward ever so slightly.

So basically you cant touch your marker disc for the same reason you can't flip your disc and use that as your lie.

For the record if your foot was just ever so slightly touching your mini as it is in the picture you provided I woudln't call you on it.
I grasp your point but disagree with the red part above. You can touch your mini under the rules. As you stated it's advisable not to touch it because, more than likely, you will make a stance violation.

The crux of my argument is that, even though you touch your mini in the process of a throw, it's not a stance violation. I'm bouncing ideas around because I just want to make sure I know the rules before someone calls me for a violation or I call someone else. thanks for the responses
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
jdawgl's Avatar
jdawgl jdawgl is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JY View Post
The rule implies "marker disc" to mean any portion of the "marker disc". You're either touching it or you're not.

The visual chart is an excellent resource!!
I agree that the visual chart is great. I wish I had seen it when I started playing.

Well, maybe I'm not reading the rules correctly (which is quite possible, I didn't major in English). To me, the rules state you cannot touch any part of the marker disc except the rear edge of the marker disc.

So the rear edge of the marker disc is a stated object. And you are allowed to touch it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Marcos, CA
Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Um... View Post
Ok why is placing a mini legal, but flipping your disc over from its lie (transforming it into a GIANT mini) not legal?? Is it because of the whole 'moving your original lie' thing?

FWIW, I do this all the time in casual rounds cuz I'm too lazy to reach for a mini.
And I am now going to call you on this. Bwahahaha!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Mr. JY Mr. JY is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Courses Played: 11
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgl View Post
I agree that the visual chart is great. I wish I had seen it when I started playing.

Well, maybe I'm not reading the rules correctly (which is quite possible, I didn't major in English). To me, the rules state you cannot touch any part of the marker disc except the rear edge of the marker disc.

So the rear edge of the marker disc is a stated object. And you are allowed to touch it.
I see what you read there. I think.

"have no supporting point of contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear of the marker disc"

The "than the rear of the marker disc" is not an exemption to the rule.

It defines what objects you may touch. No objects closer to the hole than the rear of the marker disc.

This is stated as such, allowing a player to establish supporting contact with objects that are behind or parallel to the rear of the marker.

I'm guessing you read the rule as "...other than (except) the rear of the marker disc." Respectully, that is a mis-read.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 PM
jdawgl's Avatar
jdawgl jdawgl is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JY View Post
I see what you read there. I think....
Respectully, that is a mis-read.
I see the error of my ways. You are correct, I was reading an "other than". Thanks .

Oh well, at least I made some quality Paint images
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Captain Bad's Avatar
Captain Bad Captain Bad is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JY View Post
I see what you read there. I think.

"have no supporting point of contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear of the marker disc"

The "than the rear of the marker disc" is not an exemption to the rule.

It defines what objects you may touch. No objects closer to the hole than the rear of the marker disc.

This is stated as such, allowing a player to establish supporting contact with objects that are behind or parallel to the rear of the marker.

I'm guessing you read the rule as "...other than (except) the rear of the marker disc." Respectully, that is a mis-read.
Holy crap. A guy makes a case for his point-of-view and you respond in a civil, respectful manner?!? I mean you didn't even question his sexual orientation or comment on his mother's (potential) sexual promiscuity.

My god, what has the Interwebs come to?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Mr. JY Mr. JY is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Courses Played: 11
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bad View Post
Holy crap. A guy makes a case for his point-of-view and you respond in a civil, respectful manner?!? I mean you didn't even question his sexual orientation or comment on his mother's (potential) sexual promiscuity.

My god, what has the Interwebs come to?
Hmmmm....

jdawgl, whatever you think you are sexually attracted to, is actually the opposite of what you are probably sexually attracted to.

I know your mom to be a promiscuous woman on one occasion and would be delighted to share the general details.

Lastly, jdawgl, your rectangle is more symmetrical than your circle.

(hows that?)

Last edited by Mr. JY; 07-20-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: (no prob jd)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-21-2012, 12:33 AM
BionicRib's Avatar
BionicRib BionicRib is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgl View Post
I agree that the visual chart is great. I wish I had seen it when I started playing.

Well, maybe I'm not reading the rules correctly (which is quite possible, I didn't major in English). To me, the rules state you cannot touch any part of the marker disc except the rear edge of the marker disc.

So the rear edge of the marker disc is a stated object. And you are allowed to touch it.
I'd love to see you touch your mini with your foot and not move it

Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
jdawgl's Avatar
jdawgl jdawgl is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Upstate SC
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JY View Post
Hmmmm....

jdawgl, whatever you think you are sexually attracted to... your rectangle is more symmetrical than your circle.

(hows that?)
I disagree. My circles are more symmetrical and I'd love to go into the details with you.

This is crazy,
I just met you,
but PM me maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicRib View Post
I'd love to see you touch your mini with your foot and not move it

All this talk about feet...

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.