Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bad View Post
It opens up the possibility of people flipping their discs over multiple times, accidentally or otherwise. Having a fixed position for your lie, either with a mini or the disc itself, solves that.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Years ago, the rule to use a mini marker was drafted by the PDGA because a certain player (who shall remain nameless) was known to do this.
He would get to his disc and flip it. Then flip it again when it was his turn to throw. It was difficult to prove cheating, so the new rule helped.

The rule was changed most recently to allow players to stand behind lie without marking (or flipping) for "speed of play".
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
The One Nation Under Par chart is wrong. It specifies "Line Of Play" but your foot must break the line behind your mini from the perspective of the basket, which is possibly not the line of play.

Nitpicker out!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
The One Nation Under Par chart is wrong. It specifies "Line Of Play" but your foot must break the line behind your mini from the perspective of the basket, which is possibly not the line of play.

Nitpicker out!
Nitpicker in:

http://www.pdga.com/rules/800-definitions

Line of Play: The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 190
A mandatory can "bend" the line of play away from the target. That's the ONLY time the line of play is not to the target.

803.12 Mandatories: ... D. When marking the lie, if the line of play does not pass the correct side of the mandatory, then the mandatory itself shall be considered the hole for the application of all rules regarding stance, markers, obstacles, and relief. For the purposes of taking a legal stance, the mandatory object which has not yet been passed, and is nearest the tee, will be considered to be the hole.

The lie is still in line with the line of play.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Eagle Member

As 803.12 says the mandatory is to be considered the target in those cases. So the line does not bend away from the target. The target moves.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 34
Can I just use another disc instead of a tiny little marker? Isn't my foot going to be in the same spot either way?

Correct me if I'm wrong, just asking.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post
Can I just use another disc instead of a tiny little marker? Isn't my foot going to be in the same spot either way?

The rules says you can't.

Obviously to avoid any "confusion" as to whether you have already marked or not.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 94
Just leave the disc on the ground and use that as your marker. I never use a mini if I don't have to mark OB or if it's up in a tree. One less time to bend over for these old bones. I carry two putters so I don't mark a missed putt, just step up with my backup.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post

No. You can only use a mini -- the specifications for which are defined in Rule 802.02 -- or the thrown disc as your marker (see Rule 803.03A). However, if you need to relocate your lie (taking 1m relief from the OB line, for example) then you MUST use a mini (803.03B).

Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraham View Post
Just leave the disc on the ground and use that as your marker. I never use a mini if I don't have to mark OB or if it's up in a tree. One less time to bend over for these old bones. I carry two putters so I don't mark a missed putt, just step up with my backup.
But sometimes it works in your favor to use a mini.