Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bad View Post
No. You can only use a mini -- the specifications for which are defined in Rule 802.02 -- or the thrown disc as your marker (see Rule 803.03A). However, if you need to relocate your lie (taking 1m relief from the OB line, for example) then you MUST use a mini (803.03B).
I like to use a sandwich instead.
I never leave it behind.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

That's a Disc Nation chart, o mistaken picker.
Thanks for supporting my reading/rules comprehension bombmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvan View Post
The One Nation Under Par chart is wrong. It specifies "Line Of Play" but your foot must break the line behind your mini from the perspective of the basket, which is possibly not the line of play.

Nitpicker out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmk View Post
Nitpicker in:

http://www.pdga.com/rules/800-definitions

Line of Play: The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker.
edit: 2+ week necrobump... nice? ugh
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I would love to see posters of one or both of those at tournament headquarters to explain stance issues to new players.

I would love to see illustrations in the rule book. It would really clarify some things in there.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
I had to explain Line of Play for taking a stance to a few top players when I was a marshal at Nevin during Worlds. They were lining up behind their minis in the direction that part of the fairway was facing in the woods and not in the direction to the target which was 45 degrees off the line of their intended throwing direction for that shot. They seemed surprised that they should be taking a stance off to what looked like the side of instead of behind their mini. Many experienced players don't realize this line of play rule until they get in woods with doglegs where it matters.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 126
One other thing I believe to be wrong on the Disc Nation chart is their interpretation of "...no closer than the rear of the marker...." I firmly contend (and hope I'm correct because my putting stances use this rule interpretation) that the off foot being "...no closer than the rear of the marker disc" is not the same as "you can't have it in front of the marker perpendicularly." I believe you can, just not closer (measured in a straight line from the basket) than the rear of the marker disc.

If my word explanation is confusing, see the attached crude illustration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MY stance chart compared to Disc Nation's chart.jpg (43.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Yes, the distance from the basket is measured as an arc. So yes, you can have your off foot an inch or two in front of the perpendicular line to the line of play behind your mark and it will still not be closer to the pin than your mark.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
One other thing I believe to be wrong on the Disc Nation chart is their interpretation of "...no closer than the rear of the marker...." I firmly contend (and hope I'm correct because my putting stances use this rule interpretation) that the off foot being "...no closer than the rear of the marker disc" is not the same as "you can't have it in front of the marker perpendicularly." I believe you can, just not closer (measured in a straight line from the basket) than the rear of the marker disc.

If my word explanation is confusing, see the attached crude illustration.
I see what you're saying and I actually agree with what your opinion is. I also am primarily a straddle putter, so if what you posted is correct, it could be very beneficial for me.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
I see what you're saying and I actually agree with what your opinion is. I also am primarily a straddle putter, so if what you posted is correct, it could be very beneficial for me.
Looks like it -- Chuck K has already chimed in, and he visits with RC more often than the average player ever will. I'm right handed and straddle with my right foot slightly forward of my left, so as long as my right is behind the marker this doesn't come into play. But it does if my left is behind the marker, so whenever I'm putting this way, I draw an imaginary line (in the air) from the basket to my marker then a real one perpendicular on the ground w/my foot. If my right foot is on the perpendicular (basically even with the marker), then I know I'm ok. The reason I draw the line on the ground is in case I'm ever in a tournament and someone calls that a stance violation, then I have a physical mark to discuss it from. However, I learned a couple years back to always say something like, "fair mark?" or "legal stance?" to the group whenever marking a tricky relocation or these left-foot-behind-mark-right-foot forward putting stances. If I get a couple confirmations, it makes it hard to call a stance violation if unless I do something different in the act of putting.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
One other thing I believe to be way beyond the "general stance rules" scope of the Disc Nation chart..
fixed

Yeah, that chart was made as an introduction to using a mini, not to handle the obscure edge-cases like nudging up to the very limit of an arc from the basket. These are stance guidelines that don't require getting your group's approval before attempting... just the basics.

I'm definitely gonna seek out Chuck and others' input/review if we do a full illustrated rulebook. (It's 2012, why hasn't the PDGA made this?)

Old 09-09-2012, 04:22 PM

Ruling bodies typically don't produce rulebooks that have illustrations. That's left to private enterprise. I've suggested they print the rulebook on water-resistant paper like Tyvek and printed sideways so it's in the shape of a scorecard when opened up.