Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I don't get the hate for it. I always enjoy playing there. I think it's a nice park, aesthetically, and one of the only courses around here you can really open up and crank shots on more than a hole or two.

Maybe it's because I never played it pre-redesign, I dont' know.

Nockamixon is a no-brainer MUST play, agreed.
true Brad...given the context of the area it allows for a different type of disc golf....I guess I remember it far more pristine conditions and a handful of the holes have changed. I guess I don't enjoy open courses as much cause I dont have the D to really enjoy them.

I still think Tinicum when the grass is low is a better open course than Parkway but thats a big "if the grass is mowed" lol
Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
true Brad...given the context of the area it allows for a different type of disc golf....I guess I remember it far more pristine conditions and a handful of the holes have changed. I guess I don't enjoy open courses as much cause I dont have the D to really enjoy them.
Have more D than I do!

Quote:
I still think Tinicum when the grass is low is a better open course than Parkway but thats a big "if the grass is mowed" lol
I can't argue with that at all. I like the water that comes into play @ LLP, but I really do like the mowed out fairways and rough @ Tinicum
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
when is Linbrook gonna be done?
Currently, nine baskets are in, major lanes through the woods have been cleared, and tee locations are being tinkered with. I think all 18 baskets should be in next spring.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 45
Tyler's grass has just been mowed so the course is looking great. However, the bunkers that have been built up throughout the course seem to be getting bigger and bigger everyday. I was there last night and we had some tree branches fall from the storm that just went through Bucks County. There will be some new pin placements for those of you who haven't played the course in a while. Also, Hole three is now in C position so if you play soon, you will get a treat (or a punishment) however you look at it.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 187
oops, forgot about nocky...definitely play nocky!!! skip everything else in the area if you have to, but definitely play nockamixon
Old 07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerico View Post
Play quaker's challenge and sankanac in one day, skipping right by french creek. FC is okay, but not nearly as fun or scenic as sankanac. While in Allentown, play jordan and little lehigh in one day; then head over to tinicum the next day with a round at tyler later that day. Also, why would you play some Pittsburgh courses, then head to WV, then go back up to P-burgh? I would suggest playing the P-burgh courses then head to WV, then up to eastern PA.
I want to see Rush in Pittsburgh on 9/11, so I'm trying to hang around for three days.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Birdie Member

I'm skipping the ski hill courses, not because I don't like them, but I live in the Sierra and I don't need to fly 3000 miles to play on a ski hill.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
I would hit up Codorus or Whispering Falls(27 holes now) with Quaker's Challenge instead of Little Lehigh, or some of the others mentioned. You can put me on the Little Lehigh hate list. Jordan Creek is ok, the locals seem to think it's a five disc course for some weird reason. Nockamixon, Iron Hill, and Tyler are musts since you are leaving from Philly. Paw Paw is just awesome! You could do Whispering Falls and Paw Paw, it's only an hour drive although you will be pooped.

On the Pittsburgh side Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, Linbrook and 2 Mile Run are all great courses. IUP is ok, there's better courses you could go to, there's a couple really sweet holes, but there's also some really bland holes that may make you wonder why you went. I wish I could tell you about the Black course, it was on my list, but I didn't make it there due to the heat and dehydration, it's also kind of far away from anything else. I haven't been to Tinicum or Sankanac.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
9/8 - Fly into Pittsburgh..play Schenley if u have time for a fun pretty warm-up quickie historic course (where it all began in Pitt)
9/9 - Moraine, Deer Lakes and if time IUP College Lodge
9/10 - Woodshed and Whipping Post get lost in the seclusion of it all
9/11 - Whispering Falls and Quakers Challenge if time permits Boulder Woods
9/12 - Jordan and Nockamixon and if time permits Tinicum
9/13 -French Creek and Camp Sankanac and if time permits Brandywine in DE
9/14 - Iron Hill DE and Tyler in PA
9/15 - play Sedgley in Philly for historic and fun...(where it all began in Philly).Fly out of Philly

You cannot go really wrong...well there are some stinkers in PA

I would skip Little Lehigh and Knob Hill

The Black Course is awesome but is gonna cost you a lot of time to get there
Ski Hill courses take an entire day to play...if you play Blue or 7 Springs you are gonna miss some gems...although some people love ski hill disc golf...I am not as enamored
you should be able to make 3 courses a day if you travel to the next course and sleep and wake up and play first thing in the AM....waking and driving kills your time you could be discing and driving and then playing sucks
I listed the best courses for each region IMO....I have several favorite courses near each of these but as a traveling play I am imagining you want the most challenging and interesting dg experience

any questions or if you want a guide feel free to PM me...I am in eastern PA and could possibly do some dg in this area
Would you suggest skipping Little Lehigh and playing both Tinicum and Sankanac? I was considering playing Sedgley Woods depending on what time my plane leaves. I'm also thinking about returning to Pittsburgh Friday night as it will make my rental car about $300 cheaper, so mavbe Whispering Falls on the way back to Pitt.

Last edited by TempleOfDoom; 07-19-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Revised Schedule -
9/9 - Moundsville Black and Moraine
9/10 - Woodshed and Whipping Post
9/11 - Knob Hill and Deer Lakes
9/12 - Quakers Challenge and Iron Hill
9/13 - Jordan Creek and Tyler
9/14 - Nockamixon and Camp Sankanac
Thoughts?

Last edited by TempleOfDoom; 07-19-2012 at 02:20 PM.