Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 PM

looking to try a new disc for side arm

I throw side arm primarily, and greatly enjoy it. Been doing it for a while now, and just recently got a hole in one at La Mirada, CA with my blizzard ape. I was wondering however if going to a lower speed disc could be beneficial to learning a better form for my side arm, then go back to the ape later. I have completely taught myself, thus i am sure i have some wrong techniques, so i am hoping a lower speed disc will help me to go back and learn. Any suggestions for a lower speed side arm disc? (i hear teebird often, but the reviews i see for sidearm throws are very negative)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
My buddy only throws sidearm, he throws a Banshee a lot. He also has been getting good results from the Stalker. He also had to take a break from disc golf, he was diagnosed with something in his elbow. The doctor said it was from the constant throwing motion. Be careful!

Last edited by Matt O; 07-21-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
My buddy only throws sidearm, he throws a Banshee a lot. He also has been getting good results from the Stalker. He also had to take a break from disc golf, he was diagnosed with something in his elbow. The doctor said it was from the constant throwing motion. Be careful!
I am always worried about injury, it seems BH people through out their back and knees, side arm the shoulder and elbow. either way if you play, there will be damage...

and i suppose as a follow up to my original question, if i have already been using the ape and do well with it, should i even be worrying about this... I do already own 3 different weighted side winders and an archangel and a valkerye if they are good options at all

Last edited by lilguykevin; 07-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 10
I've got a KC Pro 11x Gazelle and it works real well for sidearm.The Discraft Stalker I've used a few times and it flies pretty good sidearm too.I've never used a Banshee sidearm,but I've heard they are good as well.

All slow discs too.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Par Member

Idk about lower speed ones, but I love my boss for my sidearms
Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 105
eagle
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 2
Sidewinder
Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 63
Boss
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 45
Firebird of course, then in fairway the Teebird and Banshee (so I hear), and a Drone as a mid. I think you should try your Sidewinder though. Mine turns into a roller when I sidearm it, but if you're used to sidearm it might fly differently for you.

I highly recommend putting in a lot of field work with your backhand though. It can be incredibly frustrating but it will round out your game and ultimately get you more distance too. There's a reason all of the world distance records have been set with backhand shots.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mart View Post
I highly recommend putting in a lot of field work with your backhand though. It can be incredibly frustrating but it will round out your game and ultimately get you more distance too. There's a reason all of the world distance records have been set with backhand shots.
I agree with this. When I started out, I could NOT throw BH at all, so it was only FH for me. Then I got tired of only FH as the distance just wasn't there so I threw BH only on just the back 9. Then I did it through the whole course and now I'm "rounded" being able to nicely throw FH (mostly my mids/putters for approach and intermediate distances) and my backhand for drives. It's a nice addition to learn the BH.

Side note, one of my first BH throws went at about a 60 degree angle to the right...it was bad. Just my 2 cents.