Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discwrangler View Post
I don't throw them but I've played with the best thumbed throwers around, and the y all use the nuke os.
This is true. I have seen 400ft Nuke OS thumbers. The OS was at least 30-40 ft longer then my older 12x firebird. It wasn't nearly as accurate, I used it for distance only. I just lost my Nuke OS on the roof of a tall shed and I just bought one of the new 12x flat top firebirds to replace it. I have only ripped two thumbers with it. I am going to test it against my older FB and report back.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Par Member

The Discraft LE Esp Venoms are so sick for thumbers also. I miss those discs. I have also seen sick thumbers from Z Xtremes. Its hard to find these discs, but I thought the esp venom was one of the best thumber discs I have ever thrown.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Par Member

I can't believe no one has mentions the PDs. My C-line 170 PD is my go to thumber from 150-250ft and it is money every time. I'm might get ostracized for this one but the Aerobie Epic is an incredible thumber. Get it tuned right for you and it'll do the full flip to flat and just glide forever..I've had a few 450s w/them but it just hurts my elbow too much nowadays...
Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 47
Try a leopard
Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynos4life View Post
I can't believe no one has mentions the PDs. My C-line 170 PD is my go to thumber from 150-250ft and it is money every time. I'm might get ostracized for this one but the Aerobie Epic is an incredible thumber. Get it tuned right for you and it'll do the full flip to flat and just glide forever..I've had a few 450s w/them but it just hurts my elbow too much nowadays...

I agree with this also. I like the c pd for shorter and quicker turning thumbers then the firebird.

Also, the epic is a well noted super long distance over hand disc. I have seen people bend the disc certain ways to get different flights. Its super long when thrown right but not all that accurate.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 13
The Epic is cool to throw, but seriously lacks any kind of accuracy on an OH. On a RH thumber it does a double barrel-roll and then turns into a RHBH backhand at the highest point in it's flight.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Par Member

I'd have to agree with the both of you. It's a really fun disc to throw but if you're looking for reliability and accuracy it isn't the disc of choice.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Expansi0n View Post
It's not the disc; it's the amount of snap and power you are getting on your thumber. If under-powered, the disc won't complete the rotation and/or come back to straight after initially slicing left. Thumbers take arm strength and wrist snap.
I don't snap my thumbers at all. In fact if I put snap on a thumber, even with an Ape, the disc won't turn in the air at all it will just hold it's line right to the ground due to the gyroscopic spin that happens when you snap it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
To get max D on a thumber, you need to snap it. It flips too fast if you don't. The distance in a thumber comes from when it's upside down. As soon as it flips more than that, it's coming down.

Related to that, a good distance thumber disc has an inverted flight plate that gets better lift while upside down.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
To get max D on a thumber, you need to snap it. It flips too fast if you don't. The distance in a thumber comes from when it's upside down. As soon as it flips more than that, it's coming down.

Related to that, a good distance thumber disc has an inverted flight plate that gets better lift while upside down.

Interesting, maybe because I am throwing such overstable discs for thumbers I am unable to put snap on them because it actually makes them turn so slow then don't turn at all when I do put snap on it. I'll try throwing an understable disc thumber with some snap on it today and see what happens.