Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
How to fix erosion on a rubber tee pad

I have one tee pad that has some erosion problems every time it rains. It sits next to a slight hill to the right that angles back down to the tee. No grass around it so it all slides down when it rains. I need some ideas for a cheap solution to the problem. Budget is dwindled down to nothing.

My first thoughts - gravel mound, lay dirt on top of that to flatten, lay rubber mat on top of dirt.

THOUGHTS?????
Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Maybe some treated 2x4's on the high side to deflect the water and hopefully stop the erosion.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 106
I heard covering it with butter helps treat and maintain rubber tee pads
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Bogey Member

I was thinking something like this (the yellow would be the 2x4's). And yes I know that it is a different type of tee pad, but it was the closest one that I could find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tee4install5.jpg (84.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Birdie Member

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePinchico View Post
I heard covering it with butter helps treat and maintain rubber tee pads
Funny
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Birdie Member

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbock Jason View Post
I was thinking something like this (the yellow would be the 2x4's). And yes I know that it is a different type of tee pad, but it was the closest one that I could find.
So raise that side on the hill side and funnel water away from tee?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 55
Railroad ties or cinderblocks could help funnel the water/runoff away from the tees. I've also used landscaping ties to help funnel runoff near tees. Wherever your runoff is position the ties or cinder blocks a few feet away so that when the runoff happens it funnels away from the tee.

In this picture the tee is downhill from the pin placement, but the runoff runs through the fairway and is also to the left of the box.

Without proper barriers this tee would be covered every time it rained, but the cinderblocks in front and to the left of the tee keep the ground around the tee constant, and prevent erosion.

This project took a while but the cinderblocks in the front of the tee are one deep and to the left are two to three blocks high. The blocks in front are loose but tight due to the fact they are so close together. For the blocks on the left I used found rebar and secured the blocks with donated mortar and by sledge hammering the rebar into the ground, which work kind of like huge nails.

I acquired the cinder blocks through Craigslist by an ad that was giving them away free. The mortar/concrete was secured through a donation through Home Depot. Home Depot actually has a donations person on staff in most stores. If you are persistent, and the project can be considered a community project, $20-40 worth of free stuff can be had. I've also placed ads on craigslist asking for any materials that I needed for the course stating that I wanted them free but was willing to haul them away myself. It's worked for me several times.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Birdie Member

I noticed that when I place a small amount of mulch on the hillside it seemed that the other side was the muddy side so maybe it is not the hillside that is causing the mud on the tee. I"m thinking if I put railroad wood on the left and right (dug into the ground slightly of course) then maybe fill in with mulch. It wouldn't be elevated but it would more than likely keep the water off the tee and run it some place else.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryant View Post
It wouldn't be elevated but it would more than likely keep the water off the tee and run it some place else.
That's the idea, because more than likely you will not be able to stop the erosion of the hill/slope, but you will be able to stop the water from eroding your tee box and from leaving all the dirt on the tee box every time it rains.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbock Jason View Post
That's the idea, because more than likely you will not be able to stop the erosion of the hill/slope, but you will be able to stop the water from eroding your tee box and from leaving all the dirt on the tee box every time it rains.
I think if we put the railroad wood on the sides and put dirt in then laid the rubber pad on the dirt then it would be slightly elevated and the water would be diverted and stay off the pad.