Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
my drive form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5PxjBYMx4

Been playing casually for a long time...15 years or so off and on. Spent most of that time chucking with little to no thought put into the hows or whys of my throw.

Starting playing a lot recently and actually injured my right tricep strong arming/crashing my upper arm into my chest. Lately I've been focusing on keeping my upper arm away from my chest, chopping with my elbow and then flinging my forearm towards the target, and I'm pretty happy with my progress. I'm hoping to get some feedback on some bits I'm not sure I'm doing right.

This is the first time I've seen myself throw, and the main thing that stands out to me is that my follow through looks awkward. My back leg swings around in a big arc that I wasn't aware of, I'm leaning pretty far forward (honestly not sure if that's good or bad), and my right arm seems to stop short of where it ought to. I'm old and stiff, so that may be all I can get without breaking something.

I've done right pec drills and hammer drills and tried to build from there--I'm still at a point where I feel like I have too much to think about while throwing to really be smooth, but that is improving.

This is a star tl that went about 275-300 feet (I didn't measure it but that's my typical range).
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
That's a nasty habit you developed with your strong arming. It will take awhile to get the feeling of what your body should be doing and will feel totally strange to you. Your rear hip follows through high due to flat footwork and you aren't rotating your hips or leading with them. Your throwing shoulder rotates way early and finishes down low like for a roller shot so you are torquing everything over. Focus on your throwing shoulder finishing through high with your arm on the same swing plane and palm facing down, helps to drop the shoulder on the backswing and stay relaxed. Practice your footwork and posture(ball golf drills) from a standstill and throwing slower and flippier discs(Comets/Stingray) on hyzer. You are throwing all anti-hyzer.

Check any of the Shawn Clement ball golf vids I've posting in this forum(or his youtube channel), there's a lot of them (footwork, sledgehammer, farm hammer, fencing, hogan drill, weight shift, finish position, stop topping, braced tilt, ridiculous easy.....), and they will help you learn to throw on hyzer along with the hammer pound, right pec drill, closed shoulder drill and then you can apply that to other throws more easily by adjusting your spine angle/swing plane.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Par Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBrkQ...ature=youtu.be

Thanks sidewinder. Here's me this evening trying to do some of the things you're saying. You can see my arm flailing a little at the end as I try to fight the urge to drop it down. What else is wrong?

This is a lightweight dx leopard (flippiest disc I own) and is going about 150-175 feet.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 28
Your shoulders need to pause momentarily when your arm is pulling across your chest in order to get actual elbow chop.

If you watch a guy throw like this, you may notice the timing of everything is a bit different, once he gets to the right pec, he is pounding the hammer and his hips shoulders allow the hammer to pound, then come around. It is a very subtle move.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeofsoup View Post
Your shoulders need to pause momentarily when your arm is pulling across your chest in order to get actual elbow chop.

If you watch a guy throw like this, you may notice the timing of everything is a bit different, once he gets to the right pec, he is pounding the hammer and his hips shoulders allow the hammer to pound, then come around. It is a very subtle move.
You live in my town, cube.

I've heard people say that before about the slight pause, but I've always had trouble seeing/feeling it. The guy in that vid has crazy snap, and I think I finally see why. He flings his forearm so fast that his shoulders only have to slow down a bit instead of actually pausing to get the disc out in front before he rotates too far.

Another thing I notice in that video that I should have realized already is that his back foot is already off the ground when the disc comes out of his hand. I think about that all the time when I putt, almost like I'm pushing the disc toward the basket with my back foot, but it never occurred to me to apply that to driving.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 28
Oh yeah fellow Rochester dude? I hit my first 400ft drive last night, I'm slowly figuring this out and the only way I am improving is by watching tons of video of myself and comparing it to people with rock solid form.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Par Member

update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAHT7...ature=youtu.be

I know I'm not there yet, but am I on the right track?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Yep, keep working on turning back more leading with your rear end facing the target and more width b/w upper arm and chest.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 14
Just watched the first video and the last video back to back and I think there is some very solid improvement. Have you felt any significant differences?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATC View Post
Have you felt any significant differences?
Yes, big time. Sidewinder is right--it feels very strange to me. Before my throw was so violent, like I was trying to throw my head at the target. People always say a good drive feels effortless. I see what they mean now, although after so many years of strong arming, 'effortless' isn't the first word to come to mind--to me it feels wimpy. But I am throwing bombs with putters and mids, and that feels pretty good.