#31  
Old 08-03-2012, 12:16 PM
DangeRuss's Avatar
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lansing, MI
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 47
Posts: 546
If you come to the Lansing area, Burchfield park is a must play. 36 holes. First 18 has two sets of pads and baskets with some very challenging holes. The back 18 might have some of the toughest holes in Michigan. I've played a decent amount of courses in Michigan and honestly that back 18 is the toughest Ive played.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM
sgamerp's Avatar
sgamerp sgamerp is offline
Thanks, Dad
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Trying to sift through all the good courses in Michigan is proving to be a tough task, so I thought i would try and get some input on must plays, since this will likely be my only dg trip to the state.
Right now my order of priority is;
Flip City
Hickory Hills
Leviathon
Hudson Mills
Addison Oaks
Deerfield
Mason County
Victory
Rolling Hills
Independence Lake
Stony Creek
Hammond Hill
Fallasburg
River Bends
Myles Kimmerly
Carly's Playground
Riverside
Looking for some input as far as must play order and courses that I might have missed...BTW,
I really like aesthetically-pleasing, scenic courses.

I think Fallasburg is a lot better then Hammond Hills. While HH is good, the back nine seem a bit out of place and aren't as well put together.

Also let me know if you play Fallasburg I can come meet you and show you around.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
dagwood112's Avatar
dagwood112 dagwood112 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dearborn, MI
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 241
Nice fee info from Bogey. That is important to consider if money is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
I probably should have mentioned it earlier, but I HATE to wait when playing DG...
As is probably the case everywhere, getting to the popular courses early in the day can save you a ton of headache. In my neck of the woods, I'm thinking Kensington and Holly Woods in particular, and I assume Stony is similar. These courses can be nigh on unbearable in the afternoon/early evening if the weather is nice. I walked off Kensington a couple days ago because the wait at the pads was so bad.

Probably because of proximity and number of holes available, Hudson doesn't seem to get the crowds, regardless of time and weather. If you can swing it so you get to Kensington and Holly in the morning, do it.

Also, count this as another vote for the Traverse City area. From an all-around perspective (disc,food, drink, art, natural beauty), I don't think it can be beat.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
tallpaul's Avatar
tallpaul tallpaul is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 719
Posts: 2,388
So, Mando you will have probably noticed that Leviathan is a love/hate type of course. It is personally my favorite; over the Beauty/Beast/Goliath group as well. But, it is a beat down type of course and a little tough to navigate. So, that one all depends on whether you want to play one of the tougher courses around. Beauty/Beast group is prettier and they are good courses as well.

Ann Arbor area: I'll agree that Cass Benton was my favorite of the courses used for Worlds; but, it was brand new then, and does sound as if it's been beat up and is full of chuckers these days. Original and Tunnel are good courses; the monster is another one of those beat down courses; and seemed to me that it was "unfair"; in the sense that many of your drives could end up behind foilage, making a very awkward stance/shot on your second shot. Playing that course at worlds, was perhaps, one of the most frustrating rounds I've ever played. It had me beat up, before I had played 1/3 of it.

Flip has enough good courses surrounding it, to spend two or three days, in that area alone.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM
tallpaul's Avatar
tallpaul tallpaul is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 719
Posts: 2,388
More on Flip/Ludington area: I really liked Shore Acres Park from a different sort of beauty stand point, very sandy/beachy. A no one there, when we were there. If you can get yourself an invite to The Farm, that's a wonderful group of people to play glow disc with. Couple of the deisgners of Leviathan and Beauty/Beast complex, played with us...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
harr0140's Avatar
harr0140 harr0140 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 736
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,292
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140
Shore Acres is going on my shortlist . . . it sounds cool. Ocala Greenway is built on a bunch of sand dunes in an old barge canal . . . one of the most unique properties I have ever played in disc golf
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
So, Mando you will have probably noticed that Leviathan is a love/hate type of course. It is personally my favorite; over the Beauty/Beast/Goliath group as well. But, it is a beat down type of course and a little tough to navigate. So, that one all depends on whether you want to play one of the tougher courses around. Beauty/Beast group is prettier and they are good courses as well.

Ann Arbor area: I'll agree that Cass Benton was my favorite of the courses used for Worlds; but, it was brand new then, and does sound as if it's been beat up and is full of chuckers these days. Original and Tunnel are good courses; the monster is another one of those beat down courses; and seemed to me that it was "unfair"; in the sense that many of your drives could end up behind foilage, making a very awkward stance/shot on your second shot. Playing that course at worlds, was perhaps, one of the most frustrating rounds I've ever played. It had me beat up, before I had played 1/3 of it.

Flip has enough good courses surrounding it, to spend two or three days, in that area alone.
^100% correct about Ludington courses: While it's far from ugly, Leviathan is all about the challenge - not a good choice for your 3rd round that day. Mason County's "Triplets" make for more scenic, friendlier rounds (not that Beast is cake walk).

The degradation that's occurred at Cass Benon is truly sad: a once great (perhaps even spectacular) course that's simply been beat down by storms erosion, certainly by idiots. Used to be a must play course, but now I'd only recommend it behind most of the others being considered.

Events to consider/plan for or around:
Addison Oaks, Sun 8/19: Motor City Open (Motor City Chain Gang)
Hudson Mills, Fri, 8/24 - Sun, 8/26: Discraft Great Lakes Open (Dyanmic Discs)

Sun dubs @ Kensington (noonish) = slow discing
Fri dubs @ Stony Creek (6PM) = slow discing
Sun dubs @ Rolling Hills (lat morning)...
Anyone else know when not to plan a casual round at Ludington/Flip?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
sgamerp's Avatar
sgamerp sgamerp is offline
Thanks, Dad
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Anyone else know when not to plan a casual round at Ludington/Flip?
Flip leagues are Wednesday at 6. if you want to join us you are more then welcome. 5 bucks to play and you'll get a group of fun people to play with.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
TheWCG's Avatar
TheWCG TheWCG is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Silverthorne, CO
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 264
Posts: 3,456
If your on the west coast of MI, Branstrom is WAY underrated IMO. Really cool course. Although the teepads can become an issue with some wet weather. I would call it a "must play" if your near it.

Branstrom
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1037
Reply With Quote
 

  #40  
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM
apdrvya's Avatar
apdrvya apdrvya is offline
Marketplace Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 245
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldsCoolestGuy View Post
If your on the west coast of MI, Branstrom is WAY underrated IMO. Really cool course. Although the teepads can become an issue with some wet weather. I would call it a "must play" if your near it.

Branstrom
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1037
I already suggested that one
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.