Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Wow ! Thanks for all the great info.
Michigan Schedule looking like this;
Day one & two Linden
Holly Woods
(Need to choose one more from; Kensington BL,
Hudson Mills & Independence Lake)
Day three drive to Shelby to play Flip City-either camp there or head to Ludington
Day four Mason Co & maybe Leviathan-drive to Traverse City camp
Day five Hickory Hills & Carlys Playground
Day six- either play MK & hit the U.P or
backtrack to Ludington for the 9:00 ferry to Manitowoc,WI.
Day 3 - Flip City and Branstrom Park
Day 4 - Mason County Park - drive to TC
Day 5 - HH & Carly's, drive 90 min north
Day 6 - River Road & The Crowle Hole ( Maybe Boyne Mtn)

My suggestions. MK is a neat course, but I would hit the Petoskey/Harbor courses instead. 42+ holes instead of 18 and located a lot closer to the UP.

F*ck the ferry.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
Damn!

Quote:
Ha. Not time to cross UP on bike, but one scenario would be taking my touring bike with camping gear on ferry to Wisco,(leaving vehicle in Ludington) and bike touring to Silver Creek,Winter Park,Rollin Ridge.
I am jealous. This trip sounds epic. Do you need someone to keep Sugaree broken in while you are way?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
I realize I got to this thread a bit late. But I would strongly recommend playing Deerfield Park in Mount Pleasant. I grew up, and currently live 15mins from Flip City, but went to college 15 mins from Deerfield and I honestly think Deerfield is better. Deerfield is more challenging and has better shot variety and scenery. It is the only 5 disc rating I have given.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
Recently played Independence Lake - Red Hawk course. I can see a lot of what people like about this course and the new holes are coming along nicely. However, holes 13-16 are closed for construction, apparently they flooded last year and are being raised up. The new holes (A-F) should be a lot of fun next year, when they make concrete pads and replace the rocks. And this drought sure isn't doing the good holes any favors.

Does have nice signs, multiple tee pads, concrete pads for White/Black tees, mini brooms hang from every tee sign to brush pads and picnic tables at almost every single pad. I actually opted not to review this course yet due to current state it is in. Will be more fair next year when construction is done and we get some much needed water. It is a great course that is simply not in tip top shape at the moment, and spending $9 to get in the park might make me wait til next year.

Right now, given the a choice, I would much rather play Hudson Mills - Original right now than Ind Lake Red Hawk. Just my $.02.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Rick View Post
Recently played Independence Lake - Red Hawk course. I can see a lot of what people like about this course and the new holes are coming along nicely. However, holes 13-16 are closed for construction, apparently they flooded last year and are being raised up.
13-16 are actually closed due to the new waterpark construction. They had to dig a new drain field for the waterpark, and guess where they put all of the new dirt? It is a bummer to have them closed, but it will make for a really really cool hole (#16) when it is done..
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 72
Has this trip been completed? Care to offer a post mortem? Would love to hear what courses you ended up hitting.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood112 View Post
Has this trip been completed? Care to offer a post mortem? Would love to hear what courses you ended up hitting.
Not left yet, still looking for that window that won't strain my marriage...yea, it's a solo trip.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Not left yet, still looking for that window that won't strain my marriage...yea, it's a solo trip.
Ahhh, well good luck in that endeavor. Let us know how the trip comes off.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
13-16 are actually closed due to the new waterpark construction. They had to dig a new drain field for the waterpark, and guess where they put all of the new dirt? It is a bummer to have them closed, but it will make for a really really cool hole (#16) when it is done..
Ahhh, thanks for the update. It was my 1st time playing that course and was not entirely sure of the reason they were closed. One of the guys at CJ's Party Store who plays locally had told me it was due to them flooding last year. So they were going to add more dirt and raise them up to avoid a similar problem in the future. Sounded reasonable, as does your explanation.

Can't wait to play it next season when it is fully open. Very nice course, glad it is only a half hour away.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 100
One thing I've been wondering about while researching Michigan courses,
"what's the deal with all the 24 hole courses ? ". There are tons of them.