Disc Golf Store
Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 PM

Why are my discs finishing right

First off, i am a beginner (been playing seriously for about a month). I recently purchased a 168 dx teebird and a 169 dx valk. They used to always finish left, even when thrown with slight anhyzer. When i played today, my throws were all finishing right. If i threw straight, it would start straight and after about 100 feet turn to the right. If i threw an anhyzer, it would follow the line and keep going right without fading back. Is this happening because of my form, or because the discs are now broken in, or could there be some other cause?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakabeaver View Post
First off, i am a beginner (been playing seriously for about a month). I recently purchased a 168 dx teebird and a 169 dx valk. They used to always finish left, even when thrown with slight anhyzer. When i played today, my throws were all finishing right. If i threw straight, it would start straight and after about 100 feet turn to the right. If i threw an anhyzer, it would follow the line and keep going right without fading back. Is this happening because of my form, or because the discs are now broken in, or could there be some other cause?
This is a very broad questions that will get very broad answers. Judging by your experience alone, I'd guess it's due to wrist roll.

How far are you throwing?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 14
It could be a combination of both.

If they're broken in a lot (lots of nicks and warping), it's far more likely that they're simply super understable.

Though since the TB is doing the same thing as the Valk, it may also be your form. You'd have to post a video for true diagnosis, but OAT will cause what you're experiencing. Look for disc flutter--it's a good indicator of OAT.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM

I am throwing around 300 feet and most of my throws did not flutter although a couple did. I am going to attempt to take a video next time i play.

What exactly is wrist roll?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Headwind will do that. Tailwind the opposite. Make sure you are paying attention to wind. You will need to use a more stable disc in headwind. Maybe try a max weight champ teebird for moderate headwind. A firebird for strong headwind.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakabeaver View Post
When i played today, my throws were all finishing right. If i threw straight, it would start straight and after about 100 feet turn to the right.
Are you left handed?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 62
Getting stronger and dx breaks in easily
Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Courses Played: 47
^^this. You are getting better and with the light weights and choosen molds, it is not uncommon to start snapping these discs faster, therefore making them turn over. Happened to me and when it did I went up to higher speeds like boss and nuke and it solved my problem.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeasy13 View Post
This is a very broad questions that will get very broad answers. Judging by your experience alone, I'd guess it's due to wrist roll.
OAT is my guess, too. Those discs should be able to fly much farther than 300' without turning like that, even when they're beat up. If they're turning uncontrollably at 300' it's probably you, not the disc.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 51
I would say wrist roll. I've been having issues with that myself lately. Wrist roll is when at the very last bit of your throw as you release your wrist rolls skyward putting an anhyzer angle on the disc. Does that make sense? Concentrate on the angle of the disc at the very last second as you release it