Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Courses Played: 1

Thanks everybody for the tips! I'll be trying them out at practice tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
A lot of people that are just starting out do what's called 'open pivoting'. When you watch them, if you drew a line from their pivot foot to their head at the time of release, it would be at about a 110 degree angle (with 0 degrees being straight in front of them, and 90 degrees being straight up). The disc has a tendancy to travel in a direction that's close to perpandicular to this line (20 degrees), and therefore shoots upwards, dying out and fading to the ground.

Get your head over your pivot foot at release, to create a 90 degree line going into the ground. You can work on release angles using your arm later, but creating the correct lines with your body first, is the most important part.

Just remember ... have fun! .. this sport is a blast, but if you take it too seriously, it can get really frustrating in a hurry.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drickanderson View Post
A lot of people that are just starting out do what's called 'open pivoting'. When you watch them, if you drew a line from their pivot foot to their head at the time of release, it would be at about a 110 degree angle (with 0 degrees being straight in front of them, and 90 degrees being straight up). The disc has a tendancy to travel in a direction that's close to perpandicular to this line (20 degrees), and therefore shoots upwards, dying out and fading to the ground.

Get your head over your pivot foot at release, to create a 90 degree line going into the ground. You can work on release angles using your arm later, but creating the correct lines with your body first, is the most important part.

Just remember ... have fun! .. this sport is a blast, but if you take it too seriously, it can get really frustrating in a hurry.
I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to numbers and math related stuff, but trying to visualize this. Is the pivot foot the one that you end w at release?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeAlighter View Post
I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to numbers and math related stuff, but trying to visualize this. Is the pivot foot the one that you end w at release?
Yes, you are a lefty, so your head should be directly above your left foot/knee at release; however, maintain good posture. You don't want to be crouched over in an attempt to get your head in the correct position.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 11
Send a message via MSN to drickanderson
Quote:
Short version:

Don't let yourself lean back when throwing. Get your body over your plant/pivot foot instead.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Also, i found it helpfull to train my body into the bh motion vs what came natural- strongarming.

Full reachback position- putt your butt towards the target, weight over your bent left leg with your right stretched back on the ball of the foot (like a less drastic, slightly hunched but more upright runners stance).
Your left arm relaxed at side and your right strethed forward. You should feel balanaced and comfortable.
Now press your right heel down and you should feel it pull your hips, torso,& shoulder.
Your arm should baturally bend inward and the disc coming to your chest. Focus on shifting your weight over to your right leg.
Report back.
I would add to that........assuming you are right handed to keep your left foot on the ground. All of this is going to seem extremely uncomfortable, but stick with it. Its great that you are only doing one step right now, I wish I would have started that way. Also when you plant you right foot make sure its at a (roughly 60 degree angle) with respect to your left foot. Planting that right foot to far out or too far to your right will open up your hips too early. Post a video of yourself after you have worked on this for a month or so........then we can go from there........good luck.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks a lot for the laymen explanations guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 47
Hello,

Nose angle issues are probably the biggest problem for new players. Flat flat flat is what you should be trying to accomplish when starting out.

Also what discs are you throwing?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck View Post
Hello,

Nose angle issues are probably the biggest problem for new players. Flat flat flat is what you should be trying to accomplish when starting out.

Also what discs are you throwing?
My bag is the following:
Innova Champion Leapord 169G
Innova Champion TeeBird 171G
DiscCraft Z Comet 174G
Innova JKPRO Aviar X 172G

Old 08-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 47
Quote:
My bag is the following:
Innova Champion Leapord 169G
Innova Champion TeeBird 171G
DiscCraft Z Comet 174G
Innova JKPRO Aviar X 172G
That is a pretty good lineup for a beginner. I would work mostly with the Comet and Aviar, and slowly work in the Leopard then TeeBird. Try for a nice SMOOTH & FLAT release. Don't try to muscle things too much as this leads to Off Axis Tourque. This will make your disc wobble or turn and burn to the right.

Practice

Smooth and Flat

Practice

Smooth and Flat

Practice