Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to attik34
friend starting out

I've gotten one of my friends into playing, and I was looking for something that is I guess very specific reguarding the WHY's behind throwing "right". Saying my friend is hard headed is the understatement of the century so I'm trying to find some good things to show him. I'm familiar with the Feldberg throwing clinic vids and the ones with the papa guy on youtube. Any other highly recommended thigns for him. He's a super tall atheletic dude that has the biggest straight arm swing ever. Looks like he's swing a golf club from super high on reach back to waist on release then super high on follow through, resulting in alot of yanking left and the disc slipping out right. Problem is when he gets one he launches, big time. so he has it set in his mind he just needs to find his "release" in his current motion, and I was curious as to the WHY's behind why this is bad. I understand that keeping the line allows you to be more consistant but, i guess the whys behind it arent as clear as i feel they should be. anyways thanks in advance for any info
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
I have a super tall friend that plays, he's 6'4". His hands are scary big. He side arms dominate, but his backhand is really good it just hurts his knees.

I'd suggest to your friend, that a level release is the best way to get going in the right direction. Releasing high will increase score as well as throws you take. Creating annoyance with the game, and possibly driving them away. (this has happened) I showed my friend these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uH...VHWrkvAK4BoDDg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgn6O...9&feature=plcp

and this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJz2-ZBBVE4

the last one is where I learned about all kinds of stuff and it's actually entertaining.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
What I suggest though. Take an extra disc for him to use. Let him throw one his way, then throw one with you helping. It makes them feel better when they see you helping them go further. It'll get them hooked into it. Then they will watch the videos. (It worked on me :P)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 40
When most first start, distance is most important. After a while, the 50" or so of distance difference betwwen playes means less then accuracy or putting.
Ime, the proof is in the pudding; until you can dominate over him, he will see no reason to switch it up.
Focus on your game instead of his.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by attik34 View Post
He's a super tall atheletic dude that has the biggest straight arm swing ever. Looks like he's swing a golf club from super high on reach back to waist on release then super high on follow through, resulting in alot of yanking left and the disc slipping out right. Problem is when he gets one he launches, big time. so he has it set in his mind he just needs to find his "release" in his current motion, and I was curious as to the WHY's behind why this is bad. I understand that keeping the line allows you to be more consistant but, i guess the whys behind it arent as clear as i feel they should be. anyways thanks in advance for any info
Is the disc ripping out of his hand instead of him consciously releasing it? It kind of sounds like he is grip locking due to poor footwork/body orientation and if so, he's mostly right in that he needs to find his "release." For the most part you can be as crazy as you want with reach backs as long as get that important bit at the end down pat, the hit. As long as he is staying on plane and through the hit and the disc is ripping out then he's halfway home. If what I am describing sounds like it's on point, tell him to work on turning his back to the target more and keep the disc closer to the chest during the hit, that will help get the grip lock to occur when you want it instead of later. Also, it never hurts to remind him to keep his arm and wrist loose and fluid until the hit so he doesn't strong arm his way to tendinitis.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Is it Justin
Is someone going to get pissed if I start calling this "tall man syndrome"?

You can't put all your power into a throw if you're "releasing" it. It needs to rip out to effectively transfer energy.
You can't transfer your weight correctly in a "rounded swing".
You can't have a dynamic arm motion with a straight arm throw. There's no "hit" in a straight arm throw.

I think those will be the most convincing arguments.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to attik34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Is the disc ripping out of his hand instead of him consciously releasing it? It kind of sounds like he is grip locking due to poor footwork/body orientation and if so, he's mostly right in that he needs to find his "release." For the most part you can be as crazy as you want with reach backs as long as get that important bit at the end down pat, the hit. As long as he is staying on plane and through the hit and the disc is ripping out then he's halfway home. If what I am describing sounds like it's on point, tell him to work on turning his back to the target more and keep the disc closer to the chest during the hit, that will help get the grip lock to occur when you want it instead of later. Also, it never hurts to remind him to keep his arm and wrist loose and fluid until the hit so he doesn't strong arm his way to tendinitis.
the biggest thing for me is the pathing of his arm seems impossible to make work...literally make a circle in front of you...start at like....10 clock...go around it to like, 4:30 and release is somewhere there...and then big finish....the cirlce would actually have 12 right above your head...i dunno...just seems bad i guess >.>

as far as the release problems...sometimes it rips out early and he throws a spike to the left into the ground like...100ft out...or he grip locks and launches to the right and high....then occasionally it rips out right and its a good throw...
Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 72
Just show him a video of women pros throwing.

That usually gets their attention.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 19
Keep beating his ass on the course until he's begging for you to help him

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf5083 View Post
Keep beating his ass on the course until he's begging for you to help him

As suck as this is.. i have to agree. Over the years i have introduced a bunch of people to the game. Most of them hard headed and wont take any advice,So i keep beating their @$$ until they either ask or get it..

As of now.. 2 guys i have brought into the game are at about 50/50 W/L ratio, after 8+ years. I got a couple other who are avid and they still get frustrated when i whoop'm

Crash -n- burn is the way most learn!