Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Courses Played: 3
Lefty Help

I have been playing Disc Golf (badly) a couple of times a year for a a few years now, but recently have decided it's something I actually want to be good at. I'm trying to figure out what to fill my bag with.

First of all, I'm a backhand lefty. I haven't done a lot of research on the discs I currently have, I just chose from the available supply at Academy Sports.

Currently I have a Millenium JLS which I can zip fairly well and it goes straight. I like this one a lot. I have a Monarch. I don't like this one at all. It goes so far right it's pathetic, which apparently it's supposed to do, and I'm assuming being a lefty just makes magnifies its rightness that much more.

So what are some recommendations for some good discs for a beginner lefty? Most everything I read online is skewed towards right handers.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Welcome to the site.

Left or right handed it doesn't matter. What you want to look for are slower discs.

Your JLS is a good disc, I would recommend a Buzzz (also available at Academy) and any putter that you like the feel of.

Leopards are also a good choice for beginners.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
I'm also a lefty.
Good left-handed discs:
JLS
Polaris
Cheetah
Comet
Stratus
Wedge
Magic
Aviar
BuzzzSS

Like JSurmann said, slow discs for beginners.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Learn to throw righty, left handed discs are a lot harder to find...

I'm kidding of course. Just take everything you read online and flip it. When you're throwing the Monarch well, it should actually move left for you. So it sounds like you're just not getting enough snap to get it to fly right. I'd stick with the JLS and get a good neutral mid (Buzzz is a good suggestion). Focusing on hitting various lines with those. Once you get the hang of those discs, you'll have a better idea of what you want your next step to be.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 50
South Pawz unite

Stalker SS or Avenger SS (glorified buzz's really) both are good, flatten those out and keep working on release and stroke..

As said Buzz any version will treat you good for a mid.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Don't look too hard for a "Stalker SS".
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Courses Played: 3
So a disc that's designed to go right is supposed to go left for a lefty?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 32
Yes.
Obviously, all the line charts are drawn for righties, so just imagine a mirror-image of that line and you'll see how it flies for you.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Don't look too hard for a "Stalker SS".
Bhhhahaha!

I throw lefty as well, though I'm switching to my right currently b/c I'm actually right handed. That's another story though...

Anyway, what Brad is saying is true. There really isn't such a thing as "lefty" discs or "righty" discs. The only difference between throwing with your left hand vs your right hand is which direction your discs will naturally fade. For us left-handers, discs naturally fade to the right. It's the opposite for right handers: they fade to the left. Like it was said before, whenever you read someone saying the disc goes "right" for them on this forum...think of the disc going left for you...because it's the opposite. Again, I'm just repeating what Brad already said, your Monarch should actually go left for you if you're throwing level and with enough snap...so chances are it's either too heavy for you, you are throwing with hyzer (wrist angled down toward the ground), or you're not getting enough snap (most likely it's a combo of all three).

When I started out, I went and got a Sidewinder, but the JLS is probably even better to learn on b/c it's a slower disc.

While there is no such thing as a Stalker SS...Discraft does make a Stalker, and I think it would be the next step for you once you start turning over your JLS (making it go left when you throw it flat and level). The Buzzz is a GREAT disc to learn with...no matter what you're trying to learn. I highly recommend them, but you could also try any of the other suggestions above. The one's I've tried: Wolf, Stingray, Stratus, Meteor, Comet for mids, and Leopard, River, Sidewinder, Monarch (mine was 167g), XL, Xpress, Stalker for drivers.

Hope it helps, and Good Luck

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Just take everything you read online and flip it.
^^^^^This. Everything is opposite in regards to flight. Hyzers go right for us(Left for righties) and anhyzers go left for us(Right for righties). An overstable disc is going to go more right, where an understable disc is gonna wanna go left. Hope this helps a little bit.