Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
Sudden Flight Change

Before I go into my question, let me give some background. I've owned frisbee discs for about 10 years but only played a handful of times up until June. Since then I play on average 2-3 times a week. I started the summer playing with an Eagle DX throwing 250' with a max D of 275'. I decided to try new discs to get my distance up. Unfortunately I didn't do research before, so I bought a 159 Blizzard Champion TeeDevil and a 167 Discraft Force. The new discs quickly showed me my form was way off so about a three weeks ago I started over with my throw. I came here and looked at A LOT of advice.

Gradually my game got better for distance and consistency. A week ago I threw my max D at 350' with the TeeDevil (it did a slight anhyzer, leveled out and landed flat). The rest of the game was consistent 300-350' shots. After that game, I've played three times and the TeeDevil now falls to the right after 100-150'. I even tested it with a Thumber and it does a complete flip over and almost starts to glide again. This disc isn't understable enough to be meant to do that right? I went back to my Eagle and it flies just as it use to so I don't think it's my form. If I throw the disc at about a 60 degree angle it will level itself out during flight, but that seems really extreme.

I will say it's made me learn how to use the Force my last game and I'm glad it did. I had a 375' launch and I finally was able to feel the snap after the release!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
tee devil is a flippy destroyer so in a lightweight Id say yes it is meant to fly like that
Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
you might have plowed into something really hard and it warped and got REALLY flippy. My 157 blizzzard teedevil is ridiculously flippy and it not beat up at all.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 17
A thumber crashing into the ground isn't going to help the longevity of a disc's flight pattern either. Keep practicing with your Eagle. You shouldn't need to really run up and give it hell to get good distance. Just a couple of steps, and a nice clean snap with a little bit of hyzer on it. It should turn a little bit then flatten out with a slight fade at the end. You may need a little more open fairway, but 400' with an Eagle isn't out of the question. Unless there's some crazy wind.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
I set the disc on a flat surface today and it's got a rock to it. I'm going to temporarily retire it, let it set and hopefully flatten out and get at least a little less flippy. It's been really hard for me to adapt to throwing on such a hyzer release angle.

Quote:
Matt O
A thumber crashing into the ground isn't going to help the longevity of a disc's flight pattern either. Keep practicing with your Eagle. You shouldn't need to really run up and give it hell to get good distance. Just a couple of steps, and a nice clean snap with a little bit of hyzer on it. It should turn a little bit then flatten out with a slight fade at the end. You may need a little more open fairway, but 400' with an Eagle isn't out of the question. Unless there's some crazy wind.
I have a dedicated thumber disc, I only used this one once just to see it's pattern. The reason I got off the Eagle is because it's 10 years old and used and abused (also warped a bit). While working on my form I actually got rid of my X-step approach and now just use a little over half the tee pad for run up. Just have to keep working on snap and weight shifting and I'll get there.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Blizzards are not to be spike hyzered or thrown ANY way where they land on edge hard, like R-pro Bosses , they just can't take it.

Last edited by The dude on the bike; 08-11-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 38
I've noticed the Blizzard plastic takes WAY more of a beating than other premium plastics. I'm not even sure if Blizzard qualifies as premium (other than the price), to be honest.

If I were you I'd buy a lightweight Star TeeDevil; it'll last you a lot longer than the Blizzard plastics. If you like that type of flight pattern (slight hyzer release, disc sits up, S curves, finishes/fades right [assuming RHBH]), you might also try a Vulcan, Wraith, or the new Krait. <---They're listed there in order of descending stability, I think.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
U mean fades left

Blizzard sucks. Problem is, there are good ones. But you likely wont be able to tell until you throw it. The ratio of good to bad ones is also not on your side, unless you get a boss or destroyer i wouldnt count on it being as reliable stability wise as a non bubble version of the same mold.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
... you might also try a Vulcan, Wraith, or the new Krait. <---They're listed there in order of descending stability, I think.
My 166 Star Wraith is WAY more overstable than my 169 Star Vulcan.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 34
I'm shocked. Firstly, I'm shocked that nobody has pointed out that what you're describing sounds like a classic case of OAT (off axis torque) and that you're likely releasing your disc less cleanly or on more of an anhyzer than your first big shot. Secondly, that nobody has jumped your sh!t yet for calling your Innova and Discraft Discs "Frisbee Discs". Whatever you prefer to call them at home, on here it's best to use the correct terminology whenever possible. Trust me when I say that doing so will save you a lot of hassling.