Disc Golf Store
Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
disc throwing and position on body

Most of the videos I've seen say that when you throw the disc you should try to keep it at chest level. The thing is I see some videos where people seem to be throwing lower like near to top of their stomach.

When I keep the disc at chest level it doesn't seem like I get a lot of power, keep in mind I am new, but when I lower the disc a bit it goes further and also feels better. The thing is I'm not sure that when I lower it Im not throwing in more of an arc rather then straight through. Maybe the reason it feels better is Im reverting to a more arced Frisbee throw. I'm not sure really. How important is the position of the disc on you body?

Also when I'm throwing should I be looking at the disc all the way through the throw or something else? Where should my focus be?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Pull lines do vary or appear to vary depending on body position/spine angle/center of gravity. People have different centers of gravity and so the pull lines can also vary to that. You can also change your own center of gravity with body positioning and how you generate torque through the ground. Where you feel more leverage on the disc with less effort is the right pull line for you. If you are leant more over the disc your pull line with naturally be lower or appear to be lower. If you are leant back your pull line will be higher or appear to be higher...etc.

Your head following the disc is fine, it's better for the health of your neck anyways. Some guys have very flexible necks like owls though.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
As far as position, pulling across the pecs seems to be the ideal, but not a requirement.

A far as head position, Feldberg says to keep you head as motionless as possible from the "reach" until the follow-through. I've tried it and it helps with my consistency and hitting lines.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
As far as position, pulling across the pecs seems to be the ideal, but not a requirement.

A far as head position, Feldberg says to keep you head as motionless as possible from the "reach" until the follow-through. I've tried it and it helps with my consistency and hitting lines.
That's basically what I do, I kinda look at a spot on the ground. I thought I may heave read somewhere that you should watch the disc through to make sure it stays flat, but honestly when I try that I cant even see the disc, so who knows. I could have also totally confused something I read at some point too.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
I really have no idea where I'm looking. It's not backward, it's not at the target. I can see what I'm trying to hit in my minds eye, and that's where my focus is.

Different people throw differently, and different shot require different trajectories. I have found the most control and consistency is throwing with my elbow up, and with more stable discs. That's how I would prefer to control my disc. When it comes to tight lines, it's lower and more of a hyzer release, if possible.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 44.7
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
I tend to turn my body directly away from where im shooting (and my head along with it) to get more hip rotation... its gotten me a consistent 50-60 extra feet on my drive.