Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Cant argue with your mid or putter. For driver, I would say the Viking. I havent thrown it but I would hazard to guess that it would be much easier to shape different shots with than a Wraith or Avenger if you are not throwing ~ 350'. Might be able to manage with the SL but I just think the Viking would be the best bet.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 31
I agree with mashnut, it would be teebird for me. Maybe the SL or the pro wraith or the viking. Great choice on the buzzz- as much as I respect Rocs and their throwers, I think a buzzz is more versatile.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
I also have to somewhat agree with Mashnut. Teebird would be my 2nd choice after a Leopard.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Yea, I am kind of leaning towards the Viking, because it will handle being thrown into the wind, or a tail wind, and I can make it turn over since its more beat in than the SL, but it will also hold a hyzer pretty well also.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to billnchristy
3 discs is too lenient.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
Yea, I am kind of leaning towards the Viking, because it will handle being thrown into the wind, or a tail wind, and I can make it turn over since its more beat in than the SL, but it will also hold a hyzer pretty well also.
Yeah, viking sounds like the best choice then.

But I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. You can probably throw the buzzz almost as far as the viking, so maybe you should move up to a big D driver and use the buzzz to drive when that isn't appropriate. I'm pretty sure ya'll have some wide open spaces out in H-town.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
Yeah, viking sounds like the best choice then.

But I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. You can probably throw the buzzz almost as far as the viking, so maybe you should move up to a big D driver and use the buzzz to drive when that isn't appropriate. I'm pretty sure ya'll have some wide open spaces out in H-town.
I can only throw my Buzz about 220, and I can throw my Viking 275-300.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
3 discs is too lenient.
I know you are mostly kidding (I think) but I cannot throw my putter (soft banger gt) at all other than putting and an occasional roller, so that really sucks for me on 3-4 disc rounds, which I happen to play alot. But that banger is money and I am fortunate enough to be its vessel, plus it is stupid to play a round without using your usual putter (unless the point is to try a new putter) so I'm stuck with basically one less disc. The funny thing is I will often also carry a rhyno and/or aviar for short drives and approaches, which is most of my home course.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
I can only throw my Buzz about 220, and I can throw my Viking 275-300.
Sounds like Viking is the winner. I just checked a flight chart- I didn't realize how much more range the viking has over the buzzz. The difference in range of a Viking and your other drivers is much less than the difference between the buzzz and viking, so the viking is a good choice to cover the whole spectrum, if that makes any sense at all.

The more I read you Houston guys' posts the more I want to come play there- I may try to come up for a day when I'm in Austin this X-mas, I might PM you for advice or to play a round if i do.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Personally, I would take one that I can make go left or right, and that will work if I need to throw a forehand or overhand shot. Of your list, the viking sounds like a decent choice, I'd probably go with a teebird or eagle out of my own bag.

If you have time, go play the course with each one of those drivers, and see which one works for the most holes and won't get you into any trouble.
Mashnut nailed it. Exactly what I would have said, including his choices for drivers