Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 189
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've always had a reputation for being a good distance putter. I guess the big reason I make long putts is because I try to make them. I've always had good touch and even when I miss the long putt I'm typically hitting the basket or landing right at it. Knowing the flight characteristics of your putter is a big key to this. My main putter is nearly 15 years old and is extremely flippy. It makes it easier to putt longer because it has much less fade than a newer putter would have and it requires less effort to putt farther. I always aim at a point higher than the basket and to the right. I'm hoping for a stall or an arc that intersects the basket when the disc is falling towards it.

I hope this is easy to understand and helps. I've threatened to make some putting videos for years and I might just do it one day.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 38
This is a great question. ^^^Dude is right--Climo says anything outside 25' is a bonus. I've played lots of rounds with high-rated pros, and outside the circle, it's a craps shoot; no one is lights out from outside the circle (consistently) in tournament play.

However, you still want to get good and practice it. I consider myself a pretty good putter, and practicing longer putts makes 15'-30'rs look like pieces of cake. That said, others ^^^ are right--it's useless to move to 40' and beyond when you're struggling at 20'. Until you've mastered 22' and in, don't go outside the circle.

Once you DO get to a place where you're about 70-75% from 20' or so, begin to make your way outside the circle. I would advise you to use a jump putt that incorporates the same mechanics of your inside-the-circle putt. For example, if you're a straddle putter, you should have a straddle-based jump putt.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Par Member

To continue, when you're outside the circle, generate your power and extra length with the lower half of your body. That's why it's called a jump putt--just like a pitcher throws from the mound or a free-throw shooter shoots from the line, momentum to move the ball/disc forward should generate from your knees and thighs. KEEP THEM BENT.

The putt should be the same as your inside putt, but instead of shooting forward and maintaining balance on your lead foot, smoothly hop through your mini and toward the basket and KEEP JOGGING FORWARD WITH YOUR HAND UP. This will keep your release true and keep you from short-snapping it.

Don't get bummed when you're only making 1/10 or 1/15; my goal is to hit chains every time. If it sticks, it's bonus, but my LINE is the most important thing. I can jump putt from the edge of the circle to 60' and my line never wavers. I almost always hit metal, which leaves me with a tap in.

Master inside 22' before moving out, and shoot for metal. Your percentages will grow gradually, leaving you with fewer and fewer comeback putts.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
I've always had a reputation for being a good distance putter. I guess the big reason I make long putts is because I try to make them. I've always had good touch and even when I miss the long putt I'm typically hitting the basket or landing right at it. Knowing the flight characteristics of your putter is a big key to this. My main putter is nearly 15 years old and is extremely flippy. It makes it easier to putt longer because it has much less fade than a newer putter would have and it requires less effort to putt farther. I always aim at a point higher than the basket and to the right. I'm hoping for a stall or an arc that intersects the basket when the disc is falling towards it.

I hope this is easy to understand and helps. I've threatened to make some putting videos for years and I might just do it one day.
It is easy to understand, and it does help, and is similar to what I have been trying (aside from the super beat putter).

Thank you.

Maybe I expect too much. I've never really played with someone that was a good long range putter, so I don't know what "good" is and I feel I should be making more of these shots.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, the comment about Climo calling them a bonus is encouraging.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 189
since I use an understable putter my arm strength is sufficient for longer putts but I still use a jump putt for those pesky 120ft plus putts from a strddle position behind trees.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Par Member

I also think it's a good warm-up your jump putt at 25'; this will give you confidence in your disc height and release point. Release the disc flat and parallel to the ground; you'll get more hang time, and you'll only have to concentrate on the straight line (and not the fade or hyzer).
Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
I've found that using different putters for long putts helps my frame of mind. I like my Pure better for long putts anyway, but if I'm missing with it the bad juju doesn't stick around when I've got a shorter putt with my Aviar. Pulling out the Aviar becomes comforting and confidence-building, because I rarely ever miss with it.
While I understand this and have no doubt that it works for you, I'm the type of player who throws one putter for EVERY type of putt, that way I have no lapse of judgement concerning release, stability, wind factor, etc. If you know one disc inside and out, let it be your putter. Like I mentioned above, there's little different in your upper body whether it's a 20' putt or a 40' putt--the biggest difference is in your lower body. Train your mind to understand one motion and one motion deeply. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post

I found that my scores are much better now that I focus on getting my up shot within makable range than they were when I was trying to make puts that are out of my range. This range expands the better you get. But I think it would be key to ensure you're great a putting close before you move out too far.
^^^^This. My best rounds are ones where most of my puts are within 10 to 15ft. I've been working on accurate drives and upshots (especially delicate upshots). Any putt I have outside the circle I treat as the equivalent to a ball golf chip shot. I do make some, but don't sweat it when I miss.

A couple of months ago I was at that point where, on some courses, I was driving to around 40' of the basket, leaving me with many long putts. When I missed most of them, it did piss me off, but then I realized that I should just work on driving it closer. Then I went -7.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
I'm always confident but my key is not to let a missed putt affect me

Nothing could be more true.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
I guess the big reason I make long putts is because I try to make them.
Big point here. Many folks will only halfheartedly go for the longer putts and subconsciously lay up. I used to do it all the time. My strategy now is that whenever possible, I hyzer putt from 40 - 80ft out. That way, I can confidently go for the basket, but if I miss, the Hyzer nature of the putt will cause it to hit the ground and be more likely to sit. Just by going for more putts I've had some of my best rounds ever and have been hitting about 200% more 40ft+ putts than before.