Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to attik34
Weight positioning on release

So, I know that my weight should be forward on release, But recently I've noticed a trend, and I'll try to describe it, and hopefully get some feedback

When I have the best release (Nose down, laser in the direction i want it to go, with the best velocity I can get) its when I'm really focusing on 2 things

1) my grip and alignment of the disc with my arm (not related to topic)
2) My lead shoulder being driven foward, past my front leg, and almost in a downward direction. It probably results in a foward drive more than downward, but it definitely feels like im driving it down mentally.

My question i guess is, at release should my weight be over my front foot or past it, and is this, downward driving feeling something that is normal/wanted.

inb4 sidewinder videos ^.~
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 56
Your center of gravity (chest) should be over your lead foot.

It might feel like your leaning more down because it's farther froward than normal for you, just speculating.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
It sounds like you are shifting wrong. The throwing shoulder should go up, and its your head/spine that should be braced against the inside of your foot balanced dynamically. You are also describing a static position, which you can achieve wrongly but get results, but it's the correct dynamic motion that will yield consistent results.

Apply this first video to what you should be feeling and move where you hit through the door frame a little higher to your hyzer swing plane. The second video goes over what you are describing and is like a coming over the top motion in ball golf and focusing on crushing the disc at the hit instead of focusing on throwing momentum out to the target.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 38
Inside the circle I stay very low, knees bent, and rock back and forth a few times. Then I shift forward and up toward the basket so that my lower body can give my disc the momentum it needs to get to the chains. I'm a spin putter, but my wrist movement is fluid and just for directing the disc into the chains.

If your chest and center of gravity is beyond your foot, you should be tipping forward in danger of foot fault. If that's the case, you're going too far forward. Try using more lower body and bending your knees.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Feldi says that you should go from 80% back leg, 20% front leg to 20% back leg, 80% front leg. I agree with discreid that your center of gravity should be over your front foot.

edit : sidewinder, these golf vids are so useles.

Last edited by Smigles; 08-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post
. . . 80% back leg, 20% front leg to 20% back leg, 80% front leg.
I don't get it. :/
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Feldi says that you should go from 80% back leg, 20% front leg to 20% back leg, 80% front leg. I agree with discreid that your center of gravity should be over your front foot.

Yeah ok... Considering the 80/20 is from ball golf.

Over the front foot is too far! You lose tons of torque. Anyways you are talking about static positioning which can be misleading.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 13
Your weight should be shifting over your right foot, or slightly before it, as you release (assuming RHBH) and coming forward (what you are feeling when you 'kick' forward as you release). Don't try to do the big torque foot spin if you want control; concentrate on clean form and accuracy. It sounds like you're adjusting to the way a throw feels and looks when thrown nose-down - the lazers and velocity increase are usually a good sign of getting your throw nose-down (or straight). Throwing nose-down leads into getting your discs up to speed and starting to appreciate HSS, but also the distance you can get from fully turning and flexing understable drivers.

To that point, I've found that throwing straight and nose-down for me almost feels like I'm throwing downwards and/or with an anhyzer (high to low) angle even though I'm throwing straight and level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attik34 View Post
So, I know that my weight should be forward on release, But recently I've noticed a trend, and I'll try to describe it, and hopefully get some feedback

When I have the best release (Nose down, laser in the direction i want it to go, with the best velocity I can get) its when I'm really focusing on 2 things

1) my grip and alignment of the disc with my arm (not related to topic)
2) My lead shoulder being driven foward, past my front leg, and almost in a downward direction. It probably results in a foward drive more than downward, but it definitely feels like im driving it down mentally.

My question i guess is, at release should my weight be over my front foot or past it, and is this, downward driving feeling something that is normal/wanted.

inb4 sidewinder videos ^.~

Last edited by Mind Expansi0n; 08-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
I don't get it. :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxw8ix0CYs

I think this is the video where Feldberg talks about it.

@Smigles: Are you saying that after having watched them?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Whoops...that first one was the wrong one, Part II is fairly useless. Here's the good stuff:

This is good info:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=24071

Last edited by sidewinder22; 08-15-2012 at 07:44 PM.