Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Lightbulb Overcoming Color Blindness

This sentence looks like one color to me.

If it doesn't to you, you're lucky. Even worse, I can't tell you which color or colors it even is! Now imagine this problem on the disc course. The only real tip I've gotten from scouring /r/discgolf and DGCR is to stay on the fairway and stick to some specific colors. These are the obvious solutions, but are they the best? I've read that some guy's friend uses a bag full o' blue discs. I also read some guys talking about using yellow and orange (and white), which won't work for every form of colorblindness. Some yellows and oranges blend into the green grass and light green leaves to me in addition to greens/reds. But I know that I'm two forms of colorblindness in one eye and one in the other, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I do wish I would have played a lot more rounds before buying my first set of discs, because I would indeed only have bought specific colors (blue, pink, maybe violet, neon yellow only).

Anyway, if anyone else has any techniques they'd like to share, please do. I am sick of relying on my buddies to literally point my discs out to me everyday.

Last edited by apparition; 08-16-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
The best advice other than the obvious "stay on the fairway" is to choose a color you can see. I know it sounds stupid. My buddy can't see red, so he won't throw red discs. He buys everything he throws from Clearwater. They let you choose color and weight, and they ask which is more important to you. Both times I've ordered from them I told them exactly what I wanted and they still called before shipping to make sure I knew what I was getting and was okay with it (even though it was precisely what I'd asked for). That's way better than scouring stores near you for the perfect disc in a color you can find in the woods.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Yep, I knew when I started to write this thread I shouldn't waste time detailing a post with a long explanation of the obvious colorblind advice because someone would still point it out...
Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
What about a glo golf light on all your discs?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Stick the insides of those greeting cards that play music on your disc, find them by sound rather than relying solely on sight. Alternatively, dip them in skunk spray and follow your nose.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
This sentence looks like one color to me.

If it doesn't to you, you're lucky. Even worse, I can't tell you which color or colors it even is! Now imagine this problem on the disc course. The only real tip I've gotten from scouring /r/discgolf and DGCR is to stay on the fairway and stick to some specific colors. These are the obvious solutions, but are they the best? I've read that some guy's friend uses a bag full o' blue discs. I also read some guys talking about using yellow and orange (and white), which won't work for every form of colorblindness. Some yellows and oranges blend into the green grass and light green leaves to me in addition to greens/reds. But I know that I'm two forms of colorblindness in one eye and one in the other, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I do wish I would have played a lot more rounds before buying my first set of discs, because I would indeed only have bought specific colors (blue, pink, maybe violet, neon yellow only).

Anyway, if anyone else has any techniques they'd like to share, please do. I am sick of relying on my buddies to literally point my discs out to me everyday.
You may not want to hear this but maybe your 1st step is to get rid of the discs you already own which are hardest to see. Then never buy a bad color again. When you trade away a camouflage disc you are trading away aggravation as well.

You can always learn a new disc.

I am not colorblind but I hate losing discs. Heck, I hate looking for errant discs. I stopped using tye dies and bad colors for drivers years ago. I won't even use yellow or green. My bag is full of hot pink and blue. And I still send spotters on certain holes and regularly in fall or winter.

The discs you are most likely to lose are understable drivers. You bend them around a corner and they bury themselves. Overstable discs may bend around a corner but they tend to skip up and not bury. On some weird deflections or buries there may be only one tiny patch of disc exposed. If that patch is a bright color you can find it. If not you only find it if you step on it.

I have a friend who is legally (but not totally) blind. He is a solid Pro and does a surprisingly good job of locating his discs. Through experience he has a pretty good idea what a shot probably did and of course pays close attention and listens for clues. Some deflection are audible.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHFH
As a fellow color blind player I have found that besides very bright colors like pink neon yellow and white work good for me but even better are very shiny discs when im in the store buying discs I move them around in my handa to see if I can get the light to shine off them also I love glow discs the milky white really sticks out I do stilllose a lot of discs 34 in 2009 alone
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
I dont know too much about color blindness, but isnt it like that you can see certain colors better than others ? The obvious tip would be to buy discs in tht color, but i guess you allready thought of that.

How does it work anyway ? From your opening sentence i take that you can not realy see a difference between red and green ? What about the other colors ? or do you just see black/white ?

Not being able to see green is kinda not helping when you are playing out in the green, i can imagine that...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 62
I have the same problem as you and I spent my first year in the game constantly being frustrated seaching for my disc. I am "that guy" with a bag full of blue discs and I do it for a reason. For guys like you and me, blue and white discs stand out best in nature. There isn't a lot of blue or white found in nature and our eyes can pick up those colors pretty well. Leave the reds, florescent colors, and especially tie-dyes for someone else. I promise that you will enjoy the game even more once you overcome this.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
I too am colorblind. I agree with the white, yellow and blue advice. Those peptobismol pink discs are good too....although I've never owned one. Yellow can get camoflaged in sunlight among leaves. I have had a few leaf green discs and surprisingly they were almost never hard to find.....I guess we key into seeing shapes more so than colors.

Really, where I have been burned the most is on courses where OB is marked in red. In tournament play, I will scout an unknown course before a round....then get the ground rules in the players' meeting. They'll mention ob and I'll often not remember seeing it. That makes it hard later during the round.