Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
I play regularly with a guy who's color blind, he has no problem. He does prefer to throw white discs though. But as he says, color has little to nothing to do with finding discs. Just look for a circular piece of plastic.
This logic seems faulty.

For example, there is a large white circle underneath this paragraph. It is hidden among the white background. If the colors do not matter, as per the above quote, then you should have no problem identifying it among the white background, since it is circular.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Par Member

I played with a guy many years ago who could not see florescent orange. We came to a temporary hole marked with a painted line in the grass. The line was florescent orange, as bright as a hunting jacket. He, of course, couldn't see it. We told him where it was. He teed off 5 feet behind it. We called him for a foot fault.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 5
That would not be a foot fault, because if I remember correctly you can tee off anywhere behind a natural tee within 5 meters.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvan View Post
That would not be a foot fault, because if I remember correctly you can tee off anywhere behind a natural tee within 5 meters.
Maybe 3 meters on that rule. But as a joke it worked well.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
This logic seems faulty.

For example, there is a large white circle underneath this paragraph. It is hidden among the white background. If the colors do not matter, as per the above quote, then you should have no problem identifying it among the white background, since it is circular.

Actually it would be light green.

Aha, colorblindness strikes again!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hey guys first post here. I also have the red/green deficiency which is prevalent is a pretty high percentage of men. Its our red cone photoreceptors, and thankfully the cone only deals with red and green! Ive spent hours looking for a red disc I was standing on top of, they blend in perfectly. Pain in the ass lol mostly carry blue, yellow, bright green is fine for me, white, orange.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
My red/green colorblind friend just picks certain colors. He buys everything at local stores (which here restricts him to certain Innova, Discraft and Millenium discs). That way he can pick stuff that looks very much unlike grass or dirt. He also rarely plays alone, usually has his wife with him to help look. Oddly enough, he's still the best at finding our lost discs, despite the color. He's found two of mine that I've lost ang gave up on, one of those being bright red. Maybe it helps that the grass is usually dead around here and really isn't green.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampora View Post
To anybody who wants an idea what it's like to be colorblind, this might help. Imagine a big red dot on your wall. Then, turn down the lights in the room until you no longer can tell what color it is. At this point, you can still see a big circle, but not identify the color. Similarly, imagine if that dot were to shrink in size. As it shrinks, it will eventually reach a point where you can no longer identify the color without getting in for a closer observation.

THAT'S what it's like to be colorblind. You CAN see the colors, but they are difficult to identify. You either need lots of light or a large colored area.
That is EXCELLENT! I have adopted this as my own explanation now!

I often try to explain it by this story: "Remember the old TV's where the colors would get messed up either with poor reception or the TV wearing out? When watching a NY Jets game the grass would be blue.....as would their jerseys. That would be a problem at first, but after a while you get so used to it that I could ask you 'what color is that?' (pointing to the Jersey, and you would say 'green'. But when pointing to the same blue elsewhere in the room, you would call it blue. Well, colorblindness is like that - confusing, and I can never be sure of the color I am looking at if not in the right context".

That's a long a confusing explanation....that many do not relate to any more since that problem with TV's went away in the '80's. Plus, yours makes more scientific sense too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
My red/green colorblind friend just picks certain colors. He buys everything at local stores (which here restricts him to certain Innova, Discraft and Millenium discs). That way he can pick stuff that looks very much unlike grass or dirt. He also rarely plays alone, usually has his wife with him to help look. Oddly enough, he's still the best at finding our lost discs, despite the color. He's found two of mine that I've lost ang gave up on, one of those being bright red. Maybe it helps that the grass is usually dead around here and really isn't green.
I am convinced that colorblind people key in on the shape of the disc and so can often (but certainly not always) find lost discs better than normal visioned do. I find a much larger percentage of other people's than they find mine.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
I dated a colorblind chick. she found my disc quite easy. you may be on to something

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
We're talking about finding discs....not your mini.