Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 138
Pulling back muscle

I was beginning my throws with 2 hands on my Disc and obviously I was robbing myself of some distance because I was getting enough reach back.

I have recently been working on correcting this and am coming along well. When I do it right I'm blasting em. Only been at it for 2 weeks so control and consistency aren't quite there yet. My lower right side of my back is hurting. I'm not in great shape but I'm definitely in Disc Golf shape I've never had back problems in the past and it doesn't feel like an injury so much as just a sore or pulled muscle.

My question is this, Is it normal? Am I just using muscles I have never used before or am I doing something wrong? Maybe pulling back to far? Anyone else go through this? I had to quit a round early this morning because of it
Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
First off, if it continues, see a real Doctor. Nobody here is truly qualified to give this kind of advice. That being said, you are likely not warming up enough and could be causing more tearing than necessary. Before you begin throwing, warm up with some jumping jacks, then grab hold of a disc with both hands and do some twists until you're starting to sweat a bit. That should help reduce future injuries if I'm right and won't hurt if I'm wrong. If you don't use those muscles a lot (you say you're out of shape) then sudden, forceful use of them can cause a lot of damage. Also, when you're done discing, stretch. Stretching AFTER exercise has been shown to increase muscle function by 25%. That's huge. Stretching before exercise can be counterproductive, and even if it doesn't cause harm it will at the very least weaken your drives. Again, I am not a Doctor. I went through a Massage Therapy program and took a few A and P classes so I know something about muscles, but if you're still hurting later you want a PhD.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 44
Or at least an MD!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinimower View Post
I'm not in great shape but I'm definitely in Disc Golf shape ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell
...(you say you're out of shape)...
wth man. dg shape= out of shape????
Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
wth man. dg shape= out of shape????
HA!

What I mean by that is that I'm not exactly Slim Goodbody but I can walk a Disc Golf course of any terrain all day without problems.

I have dropped 75 pounds with DG being my main form of exercise
Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 88
Probably trying to shift your weight too much/incorrectly and losing posture.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Probably trying to shift your weight too much/incorrectly and losing posture.
I used to do that while pitching. I strained my back a lot, and bruised a kidney or two.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 38
Stretch before you play! Should be common sense but I can almost guarantee thats what led to your problem. Stretch well. Stretching each muscle a couple seconds on the tee pad before you start doesn't count, if anything it will lead to more injuries. Learn how to stretch your back, shoulders, arms and wrists, and do it regularly, and properly! Stretching will also increase your distance and over all game. Everyone should always stretch before throwing. If you don't, don't complain about injuries.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 150
Don't NOT go to an MD (see what I did there?), but one of my best friends is a Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine. She's also a Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician. So I endorse checking with a good chiropractor like her to help with ALL back issues.

Last edited by sisyphus; 08-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
Stretch before you play! Should be common sense but I can almost guarantee thats what led to your problem. Stretch well. Stretching each muscle a couple seconds on the tee pad before you start doesn't count, if anything it will lead to more injuries. Learn how to stretch your back, shoulders, arms and wrists, and do it regularly, and properly! Stretching will also increase your distance and over all game. Everyone should always stretch before throwing. If you don't, don't complain about injuries.
I disagree, I find I throw better and feel better if I do light physical activity before playing rather than trying to stretch cold muscles. A quick jog, jumping jacks or playing catch for a little bit are what I generally do before a long tournament or curse bagging day.