Disc Golf Center
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yeah, I agree that it's nothing like snapping a towel. Pros run through the throwing motion with towel in hand so they can grip something other than a disc that could rip out of their hands and go flying. And because it's something they all have handy in their bags. Snap is incredibly nebulous, but I understand it as the final part of the throwing motion (except for maybe the follow-through)--it is maximized by good footwork, torque on the forward pre-release, and opening the wrist at the correct time for maximum distance. Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc.
Snap has nothing to do with the sound. Avery says he never hears a sound, Nate does. Snap is the FEELING of the disc pivoting off your hand. On the rare times I get it to work right, I definitely know it by the feel and get no sound.

The towel drill helps if you hear the pop with a regular swing, not the locker room whip crack. Kenny and Dave demo this at their clinics and on the Fundamentals DVD.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc.
Not at all, that sound often means the disc is slightly slipping out of your hand rather than ripping out at the hit. Snap has nothing to do with any sound you might hear during the throw.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
I hear a slight snapping sound when I get better snap. I'm pretty sure it's because my fingers have good tension when the disc comes out, so they slam back together to make a sound.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 26
Man, not the "sound vs no sound" debate again......
Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 1
Snap is something 90% of disc golfers never learn, but 100% of them think they do
How many times have we all seen a guy "rip" a 390' drive then proclaim he got great snap.
I think the mindset of "throw it harder" ruins most golfers chances of ever achieving snap.

I play with a guy who fits into the very small group of golfers than can hit over 500' on a golf line and its so effortless for him. The run up/x-step isn't very fast, when his body rotates from facing away from the target to facing towards it there's no insane burst of speed, it looks pretty non chalant. But the opening of the wrist is so powerful in the last half second of his throw the disc launches out at a much greater speed than his arm was moving.

I watched him park (within 10') a 604' hole once with less effort than I put into a 200' approach.
Now maybe its possible to learn good snap but in my observation over 15yrs of Golfing your either born with it or your not. A player is better off mastering his game from 300' on in and putting than chasing real snap.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefadeplz View Post
It is actually like snapping a towel, thats why the pros do it to warm up. if you are round the towel doesn't pop...if you are direct then it does. It is just like popping a towel. Snap comes from HITTING. You have to hit at the "kill point" to get the explosive snap you want. If you are round then you will never be able to hit, you MUST be straight. People who say it isn't like popping a towel probably don't have the snap.
You're wrong.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Not at all, that sound often means the disc is slightly slipping out of your hand rather than ripping out at the hit. Snap has nothing to do with any sound you might hear during the throw.
You're right.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Snap is something 90% of disc golfers never learn, but 100% of them think they do
How many times have we all seen a guy "rip" a 390' drive then proclaim he got great snap.
I think the mindset of "throw it harder" ruins most golfers chances of ever achieving snap.

I play with a guy who fits into the very small group of golfers than can hit over 500' on a golf line and its so effortless for him. The run up/x-step isn't very fast, when his body rotates from facing away from the target to facing towards it there's no insane burst of speed, it looks pretty non chalant. But the opening of the wrist is so powerful in the last half second of his throw the disc launches out at a much greater speed than his arm was moving.

I watched him park (within 10') a 604' hole once with less effort than I put into a 200' approach.
Now maybe its possible to learn good snap but in my observation over 15yrs of Golfing your either born with it or your not. A player is better off mastering his game from 300' on in and putting than chasing real snap.
You are right, too.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

I find that trying to explain what real "snap" is to someone that doesn't have it, is like trying to explain the sense of taste to someone that doesn't have it.

I get the popping noise a lot when I throw my Rocs and Putters, and inevitably someone will say "wow, nice snap". Rather than trying to go through trying to explain to them that isn't snap, I just nod my head and say thanks. It really needs a different name to avoid noob confusion.

Last edited by The Hammer; 08-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.