Disc Golf Center
  #11  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Kingery's Avatar
Kingery Kingery is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Springfield, MO
Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 141
Yeah, I agree that it's nothing like snapping a towel. Pros run through the throwing motion with towel in hand so they can grip something other than a disc that could rip out of their hands and go flying. And because it's something they all have handy in their bags. Snap is incredibly nebulous, but I understand it as the final part of the throwing motion (except for maybe the follow-through)--it is maximized by good footwork, torque on the forward pre-release, and opening the wrist at the correct time for maximum distance. Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
gvan's Avatar
gvan gvan is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc.
Snap has nothing to do with the sound. Avery says he never hears a sound, Nate does. Snap is the FEELING of the disc pivoting off your hand. On the rare times I get it to work right, I definitely know it by the feel and get no sound.

The towel drill helps if you hear the pop with a regular swing, not the locker room whip crack. Kenny and Dave demo this at their clinics and on the Fundamentals DVD.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingery View Post
Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc.
Not at all, that sound often means the disc is slightly slipping out of your hand rather than ripping out at the hit. Snap has nothing to do with any sound you might hear during the throw.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is offline
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,354
I hear a slight snapping sound when I get better snap. I'm pretty sure it's because my fingers have good tension when the disc comes out, so they slam back together to make a sound.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
BullyBull's Avatar
BullyBull BullyBull is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NRH, TX
Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 26
Posts: 367
Man, not the "sound vs no sound" debate again......
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Violets caddy Violets caddy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 1,170
Snap is something 90% of disc golfers never learn, but 100% of them think they do
How many times have we all seen a guy "rip" a 390' drive then proclaim he got great snap.
I think the mindset of "throw it harder" ruins most golfers chances of ever achieving snap.

I play with a guy who fits into the very small group of golfers than can hit over 500' on a golf line and its so effortless for him. The run up/x-step isn't very fast, when his body rotates from facing away from the target to facing towards it there's no insane burst of speed, it looks pretty non chalant. But the opening of the wrist is so powerful in the last half second of his throw the disc launches out at a much greater speed than his arm was moving.

I watched him park (within 10') a 604' hole once with less effort than I put into a 200' approach.
Now maybe its possible to learn good snap but in my observation over 15yrs of Golfing your either born with it or your not. A player is better off mastering his game from 300' on in and putting than chasing real snap.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefadeplz View Post
It is actually like snapping a towel, thats why the pros do it to warm up. if you are round the towel doesn't pop...if you are direct then it does. It is just like popping a towel. Snap comes from HITTING. You have to hit at the "kill point" to get the explosive snap you want. If you are round then you will never be able to hit, you MUST be straight. People who say it isn't like popping a towel probably don't have the snap.
You're wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Not at all, that sound often means the disc is slightly slipping out of your hand rather than ripping out at the hit. Snap has nothing to do with any sound you might hear during the throw.
You're right.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
Snap is something 90% of disc golfers never learn, but 100% of them think they do
How many times have we all seen a guy "rip" a 390' drive then proclaim he got great snap.
I think the mindset of "throw it harder" ruins most golfers chances of ever achieving snap.

I play with a guy who fits into the very small group of golfers than can hit over 500' on a golf line and its so effortless for him. The run up/x-step isn't very fast, when his body rotates from facing away from the target to facing towards it there's no insane burst of speed, it looks pretty non chalant. But the opening of the wrist is so powerful in the last half second of his throw the disc launches out at a much greater speed than his arm was moving.

I watched him park (within 10') a 604' hole once with less effort than I put into a 200' approach.
Now maybe its possible to learn good snap but in my observation over 15yrs of Golfing your either born with it or your not. A player is better off mastering his game from 300' on in and putting than chasing real snap.
You are right, too.
Reply With Quote
 
  

  #20  
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
The Hammer's Avatar
The Hammer The Hammer is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valley of the sun.
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 4,104
I find that trying to explain what real "snap" is to someone that doesn't have it, is like trying to explain the sense of taste to someone that doesn't have it.

I get the popping noise a lot when I throw my Rocs and Putters, and inevitably someone will say "wow, nice snap". Rather than trying to go through trying to explain to them that isn't snap, I just nod my head and say thanks. It really needs a different name to avoid noob confusion.

Last edited by The Hammer; 08-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.