Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Angry Against the Grain

So here's my dilemma. I've been playing for about a month, for a total of a dozen or so rounds (mostly front 9 only at Golden Gate Park in SF). My RHBH has improved but I'm still not getting much distance, and worse still my consistency sucks. Scores for 9 baskets are usually about 4 over par. I average around 175' Buzzz SS, 200' Cyclone -- but not always where I am aiming. Lots of shots go high and fade hard, so I know I have a nose-up issue. This seems to be least apparent when I employ a 2-finger grip, which produces my most consistent rounds. Any sort of power grip leaves me grip-locking and shanking shots left and right. I played a round with a Bonopane grip and was actually awesome -- I could really feel the rip, the discs went mostly where I intended, and nose-up issues were alleviated. But I don't want to hack something that will not serve me in the long run. I've also found myself to be more consistent without any x-step, although randomly I will throw an awesome shot with a nice smooth x-step off the tee pad.

I should also mention that my goals are to be a consistent par player, but I don't have ambitions of being competitive or entering competitions.

So, the real conundrum: after about 30 minutes of field practice today, I found I can throw RHFH farther and with a more consistent release and flight pattern. After 30 minutes, my RHFH is better than my RHBH! Argh!!!

Questions for the experts:

1. Should I forget RHBH for now and focus on improving my RHFH?
2. If I stay with RHBH, is it suicide to learn with a Bonopane grip?
3. Any other suggestions?

[Current disc setup: 166 Pro-D Cyclone (0), 173 Z Buzzz SS (0), 173 Soft APX (0).]
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 44.7
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyB View Post
So here's my dilemma. I've been playing for about a month, for a total of a dozen or so rounds (mostly front 9 only at Golden Gate Park in SF). My RHBH has improved but I'm still not getting much distance, and worse still my consistency sucks. Scores for 9 baskets are usually about 4 over par. I average around 175' Buzzz SS, 200' Cyclone -- but not always where I am aiming. Lots of shots go high and fade hard, so I know I have a nose-up issue. This seems to be least apparent when I employ a 2-finger grip, which produces my most consistent rounds. Any sort of power grip leaves me grip-locking and shanking shots left and right. I played a round with a Bonopane grip and was actually awesome -- I could really feel the rip, the discs went mostly where I intended, and nose-up issues were alleviated. But I don't want to hack something that will not serve me in the long run. I've also found myself to be more consistent without any x-step, although randomly I will throw an awesome shot with a nice smooth x-step off the tee pad.

I should also mention that my goals are to be a consistent par player, but I don't have ambitions of being competitive or entering competitions.

So, the real conundrum: after about 30 minutes of field practice today, I found I can throw RHFH farther and with a more consistent release and flight pattern. After 30 minutes, my RHFH is better than my RHBH! Argh!!!

Questions for the experts:

1. Should I forget RHBH for now and focus on improving my RHFH?
2. If I stay with RHBH, is it suicide to learn with a Bonopane grip?
3. Any other suggestions?

[Current disc setup: 166 Pro-D Cyclone (0), 173 Z Buzzz SS (0), 173 Soft APX (0).]
1. You're backhand throw is going to end up being an important one, just because you're not always going to get the fade you want. Throw two shots a hole if you have to to practice.
2. Practice both? If you can throw far with the bonopane group, go for it.
3. Practice the x step
Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 39
whats a bonopane grip?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenonabun View Post
whats a bonopane grip?
This
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 21
EDIT: From Innova's site - "The disc is held between the index and middle fingers. The index finger is placed over the thumb, which is pressed against the flight plate. The finger pads are pressed against the rim wall. The Bonopane grip will bring the nose down as the disc sits under the index finger rather than over it. This not a popular grip as it is not well suited for power and can be painful with heavy discs."

"Top view"

Last edited by GripEnemy; 08-18-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 9
Ack! That just looks wrong!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 12
That looks painful, but to each his own I guess...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 101
screw that
Old 08-18-2012, 04:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 40
Nose down is just way more extreme then most new players realize. That paired with the natural instint (and sometime imo, poor advice) to throw flat.

Realize nose down isnt nose neutral- look for the inside brim.
Dont be afraid of hyzering just because it begins as an hurdle- those "grip lock" throws likely had tge best potential to be good throws had you gave em a lil hyzer to control it.
Hyzer (or even anny) make it easier to get the nose down and control your lines (and especially when your new, add power to your throw).

Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 AM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 7
It took me a good 3 months to get my power grip down. I was Using a 2 finger funky weird grip that did nothing but slow me down.

My advice would be to just find a 4 finger grip that's comfortable, and to realize that discs fly on their own, you don't have to throw them in the air and swish net like a basketball. Throw it right at the hole and let it stay 5 or 6 foot off the ground the whole time. My way of doing this is to keep your arm chest level throughout your entire throwing routine clear to the follow through. Find your center of gravity and rotate around that.

Also a big field and a good supply of plastic will make a distance thrower out of anybody