Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to Theli420
PDGA Rules Q&A, #8

Here it is from PDGA:

QA8: Disc Knocked out of Tree
Q: My disc was stuck in a tree well above two meters (with the two-meter rule in effect), when another player's throw knocked it to
the ground. Where is my lie, and am I subject to a two-meter penalty throw?
A: The disc is played from the resulting lie, so there is no two-meter penalty. The same is true if the two-meter rule is not in effect. As
for the player whose throw knocked your disc down, the interference rule does not apply to a competitively thrown disc.
Applicable Rules: 803.07 Interference; 803.08 Disc Above the Playing Surface

I have looked through the rules, and can't find anything about this exception listed in the answer: As
for the player whose throw knocked your disc down, the interference rule does not apply to a competitively thrown disc.

Does this competitively thrown disc interference exception apply when the disc is also deemed at rest (ie: on the ground?). I am curious because I can see a nightmare scenario (providing someone else witnesses it) where someones thrown disc smacks one at rest on the hill, causing the at rest disc to go to the bottom of this crazy hill on Nockamixon Hole #6 http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media....hole=6&page=1#

Thanks for any and all help on this!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHFH
I think that that answer is wrong?

I know if a disc is on the ground and another players shot hits the disc and it rolls away, you are supposed to replace the disc back to the original spot before it rolled.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: LHFH
Send a message via AIM to Theli420
I was under this same impression, saw this, and got thinking (scary, I know!).... Hopefully someone with experience in this area can shine some light on this.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
I think that that answer is wrong?

I know if a disc is on the ground and another players shot hits the disc and it rolls away, you are supposed to replace the disc back to the original spot before it rolled.
This is my understanding as well.

This rule/Q&A/whatever you want to call it, contradicts that though.

2 meter rule in effect or not, they are saying that "stuck in a tree" is a "live" disc and does not equate to being at rest I guess?

If your throw is stuck in a tree, and I hit the tree, and your disc pops out and rolls OB, you get penalized? That's the dumbest "rule" I've heard yet.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Eagle Member

Actually I am wrong. If the disc falls out of the tree before the player gets to his lie then you play it where it lies.

However if the disc is on the playing surface (ground) and is moved by another players shot, then you place the disc back as close as possible to where the original lie was.

Seems awfully confusing? Why is there a different rule for a disc in the tree than a disc on the ground?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Actually I am wrong. If the disc falls out of the tree before the player gets to his lie then you play it where it lies.

However if the disc is on the playing surface (ground) and is moved by another players shot, then you place the disc back as close as possible to where the original lie was.

Seems awfully confusing? Why is there a different rule for a disc in the tree than a disc on the ground?
I don't know but my gut feeling agrees with it being different. One reason is it would be hard (and look stupid ) trying to put the disc back in the tree. On the other hand why should a player be punished for something he has no control over (another disc hitting theirs after it stopped on the ground)?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

I think that the PDGA rules needs to define "disc at rest" in the definitions section of the rule book.

Also, aren't you supposed to wait to throw after the previous persons disc has come to rest? I could be making that up, but if so, then you can't ever throw if a disc is in a tree. hmmm
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Once it gets stuck in a tree it's at rest.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:

I'm guessing it's because of the much greater likelihood that a disc in a tree moves before the player arrives, as opposed to a disc anywhere else.

Another disc hitting it is unlikely. But a disc in a tree may fall due to wind, or because it's very precariously hanging on. It's hard to determine from a distance exactly when or where it is at rest. So the rule doesn't establish it "at rest" until the player arrives at its location.

It's true that discs on the ground can be moved by external forces, or be barely hanging on to a slope, but they can more often be seen, and the chances of moving are much lower.

I could be totally wrong, but that's my guess.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 59
The disc in tree rule was different with the 2m penalty. The 2m penalty could only be applied if the disc was verified to be over 2m. If the disc fell or was hit, the 2m could not be verified. To be consistent in this regard both scenarios played the disc where it ended up after coming out of the tree.

Unfortunately this made it then inconsistent with the interference rule for discs on the ground. If the 2m rule was completely abolished (I know this anathema in certain parts of California), this inconsistency could be remedied.