Old 11-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default How often do you try new plastic?

Whether you've been throwing the same bag for 10 years, or if you're like me and your bag changes a few times every season, how often do you try new plastic?

Personally, I like to try everything so I know what's out there and how different plastics work. I think it's fun to try and learn new discs quickly!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 12

I am not one to buy new plastic just to try, but if I am playing fun rounds with friends or others and they have something I have yet to throw I will ask to throw it. I know it is a small sample size to try a mold, but I would be doing something similar if I were to buy only one or two to try out. I do like seeing what is out there even if I am not planning on changing my bag up though.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
Personally, I like to try everything so I know what's out there and how different plastics work. I think it's fun to try and learn new discs quickly!
Pretty much where I was for a while, but I've slowed down a bit. I have too many as it is. Still, if something looks fun, or looks to be an improvement on a slot I have filled, I'll buy. Waiting on availability of the Mystere now. If the Crank SS or Cranks in X were available at my Hastings, I'd be testing them out already.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 15

Fairly often. It's one part of the game that I like, trying out new things. You never know until you try.

BUT, I have a CORE group of discs in my bag that earned their spot....every now and then I identify a disc / slot / duty (whatever you wanna call it) that doesn't make me 100% confident in it, and I like to search and try out similar discs to find the one that fits my comfort and style with the flight I'm looking for.

ALSO, every now and them i just get a new disc for the ****s of it.

I just picked up an Element Atom and really like the feel, not re-constructing my putting game around it, but I put it in my bag and will play a round with it this weekend.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 38

I used to bounce around brand to brand and mold to mold a lot a few years ago, but I've really slowed down in the last year or so. It was fun for the first few years I played to always be looking to a new disc hoping it would fill a slot better or do something special for me. But it's expensive to constantly buy discs and honestly it hurts my game overall to be constantly changing things out. I ended up finding what I liked in the end and (sadly) it's very vanilla and very Innova: Yetis, Pigs, Rocs, TLs, Teebirds, and Destroyers mostly. I tried a lot of other companies and other molds on the way, but I score better with my current bag with less practice than I ever did when I was bouncing between stuff a lot. Since I've had kids, I don't get to play nearly as much either, so it's important for me to be familiar with my discs so I can score well and enjoy myself when I do play.

But I can still get excited about new stuff. I'll give most new, smaller disc companies at least one shot. So far I've tried every mold RDG has produced, and I just tried out the new Element putters. I'm currently using DX Thunderbirds for the first time as my primary winter drivers because of grip issues in the wet. I still waste lots of money buying backups and new/old runs of the molds I like, so I guess I'm not much better off there. Disc buying is just too much fun not to indulge in from time to time.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH

I carry a bag that holds 24 discs and for the most part I put 20 in it. Usually that is just composed of the discs in my sig which I carry 15-18 of.

Usually I have 2-4 discs that are getting an audition. Right now I have 3 am Atom to see if I like wet putting with the soft electron, a Solace to see if it can be my wet/cold weather disctance driver, and a Missilen because it's so different and fun to see what it does.

There are a few slots that I always have some venerability at, mainly stable disctance drivers that I use for backhand distance and putting putters. I've yet to find a disc that makes me jump for joy from those two slots so I often try new things for them.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Par Member

I've only been playing since May and I've got 100+ discs already. Wife gives me a hard time and I do think I've probably gotten carried away. So for now I'm sticking with all Innova with the exception of the Pure and Stratus, just to simplify things. My goal right now is to narrow down my bag, not keep buying more plastic. I've got a nice comfort level with the discs I have already and my focus is on improving form. Next purchases will be backups of discs I already throw.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 39
Send a message via AIM to superium

Late fall and early spring I try out a few new discs or plastic's that spark my interest. When late fall arrives I like to slowly take out my go to discs so I don't risk losing them over winter or break them in to the point they need to be replaced when spring arrives. In my opinion trying out new discs and plastics is one of the joys of this sport. Every now and then you find that disc that just flies beautiful the first throw that comes out of your hands. I just laugh at people who stick with one manufacturer and pretend they are sponsored by them even though they are under 900 rated. Plain and simple there's no manufacturer that's above the rest so unless you are getting paid to throw strictly one, who gives a **** what you throw.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 17

My bag is pretty much set for now and after a whirl-wind of buying the last few years I know there is no magical disc that's going to improve my game, but, every once in a while I do get the itch to try something new.

Most of my disc buying now is just different plastics of molds I know well. Sometimes a different plastic is like a new mold anyway!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
I've only been playing since May and I've got 100+ discs already. Wife gives me a hard time and I do think I've probably gotten carried away. So for now I'm sticking with all Innova with the exception of the Pure and Stratus, just to simplify things. My goal right now is to narrow down my bag, not keep buying more plastic. I've got a nice comfort level with the discs I have already and my focus is on improving form. Next purchases will be backups of discs I already throw.
Similar to my story. I've been playing a bit longer, but I also have bought a LOT of discs. I don't regret that, but I'm starting to get my base-14 (my Fade Crunch Box bag holds 14 discs) settled down.

As to plastics, I try to feel plastics in the stores to get an idea of them, and my grubby paws do not lie about what they are feeling. Star plastic and Gold Line plastic feel great to me, Champ plastic is okay, GStar is okay in the winter when it firms up, but I haven't taken a liking to XT plastic nor waxy DX. Point being, I do try to get molds in the plastics I prefer unless it's just not possible.