Old 09-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Par Member

Need help with putters

Need a Driving / Approach / Wind Resistant putter to replace my Pig which just replaced my Rhyno. My stiff pro Pig did me wrong all day today so its back on shelf. I was thinking a Envy or Chief ?
I throw Wizzards and Voodoos as main putters and thinking bout trying Ions if I go with a Envy. I keep going back and forth in my head cause I love that Gateway plastic. I never held a MVP, but if its like the Nova 2 part its for me, grippy rim, stiff plate. Nova plastic is perfect summer or winter, it dont change, its my Anny / DownWind / Approach disc.
There aint many DG stores around here so I never get a chance to feel before I buy, so any advice will help me save $. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
welp, hopefully the mods can move this over to the disc section where you're likely to get more help, but since i'm here anyway i'd like to ask what exactly you mean by "did me wrong". pigs are beef. pure beef. unless yours is beat to crap it's not going to turn for anything. wizards are nicely overstable too.

so you need to clarify what you mean by "did me wrong" before we can suggest anything to help.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 14
The envy is an amazing driving putter. A lot less fade than your pig but it is reliable & controllable. They also have 0 turn and will really become a staple to your game.

Stick to the wizards & voodoos for putting. So many plastic options and they season up beautifully.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
I cant speak for the chief, wish I could. but I tell you how awesome the envy is for tons of shots. I got a watermelon envy( thanks aim), and it is a birdie maker. I tell people that throw it to think of it as an over stable mid. it putts great, sticks to chains on hard shots, it is as good as everyone says. the proton plastic is very slick when wet. my envy broke in a little quicker than I thought, its still over stable, but I throw it a lot. when the guys see the watermelon come out they know a great shot is about to happen. the envy is a must bag disc. buy one, you wont regret it.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Ya'll know I love MVP. But they have nothing like Gateway's base plastic.

Yet.

I highly recommend the Envy though. It's a superb driving putter.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
So what exactly did your Pig not do for you?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 20
I love my chief for driving & approaches. Very shallow & board flat it doesn't feel like a putter in hand and most importantly for me is that it allows me to FH it very well. First putter I've been comfortable with a FH (I can't get a clean release with deep putters FH).
Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
I love my chief for driving & approaches. Very shallow & board flat it doesn't feel like a putter in hand and most importantly for me is that it allows me to FH it very well. First putter I've been comfortable with a FH (I can't get a clean release with deep putters FH).
My problem with the chief is that the HSS is not rock solid. Ive thrown fresh chiefs that'll turn on 250 ft. Of power.

I'm new to throwing the envy but I can honestly say it's what I wanted the chief to be. Fast, low profile & incredibly reliable. That said, the chief is avaiable in a ton of flex options and they putt pretty nicely one they're seasoned.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHFH
I love a Harp and the Yikun GUI is very solid too. They are both great driving putters and the GUI is a nice chain hitter for windy days.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.3
How about your wizard with more hyzer?