Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHBH
City Lake Park- Redesign. Albemarle NC

Hey all,

Thought I'd finally share. Stan McDaniel, Bryon Carter and Myself have been in the process of coming up with a redesign of City lake park over the last several months. The course has had some conflict and a redesign was needed to prevent injuries. I'm happy to say my initial walk through with the Parks director went very well and it looks like we are going to get things done!

The plan is to not only move most of the current 9 hole course but also to expand the course to an 18 hole par 58-60. Per the parks request we will be targeting newer players with short pads but we will also have longer pads that will be a MUCH tougher challenge. THe only holes from the current course that will survive will be holes 6 & 8(they will be 2 & 7) and both will have longer pads. All of the baskets that are currently on the peninsula will be taken out and we will not be using that area(holes 1-4).

The property has a lot of character with several opportunities for some wide open rips as well as some serious elevation and woods that will be very Fox Chase like. I am VERY excited about the layout and the property that we have to work with and look forward to the future of the course!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 199
Congrats Bravethrower. From what I've heard it's a badly needed change. Sounds cool, and look forward to getting down there sometime.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Sounds like music to my ears. Maybe I can truck down there some weekend and help out.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
I would like to add the reasoning behind seeking a redesign. The current 9 hole course was fun to play, but those holes, 1-4, were an accident waiting to happen, and it did happen. Safety was adequately taken into account. It just didn't make sense throwing beside and over these walking paths. People fish there and the biggest issue was the picnic shelter that draws people whose kids run all over around the shelter and they were in jeopardy. I feel sorry for the person whose head got split open on hole #1. So, a redesign mitigates those danger holes.

Secondly, with so much land, why not an 18 holer instead of a 9 holer? Seems like a no brainer to me. Kudos to Pat and Bryon for all the legwork they have done already to keep the ball rolling on this project. It sure looks to me like this will be a really fun course when completed.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 131
So do you think Innova should approve all designs for safety, etc before selling baskets?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 176
That's great news. There is so much untapped potential with all that unused land. Just think, small-town Albemarle could soon have two elite courses.

Thanks for the update and all your efforts BraveThrower, along with Stan and Bryon.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan McDaniel View Post
I would like to add the reasoning behind seeking a redesign. The current 9 hole course was fun to play, but those holes, 1-4, were an accident waiting to happen, and it did happen. Safety was adequately taken into account. It just didn't make sense throwing beside and over these walking paths. People fish there and the biggest issue was the picnic shelter that draws people whose kids run all over around the shelter and they were in jeopardy. I feel sorry for the person whose head got split open on hole #1. So, a redesign mitigates those danger holes.

Secondly, with so much land, why not an 18 holer instead of a 9 holer? Seems like a no brainer to me. Kudos to Pat and Bryon for all the legwork they have done already to keep the ball rolling on this project. It sure looks to me like this will be a really fun course when completed.
I should have included more about this on the original post. Thanks Stan
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 199
^^^Freaking amateur bravethrower.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan McDaniel View Post

No kidding. I remember opting for the safest line possible and still running the risk of hitting a dude fishing. It's mind-blowing that somebody thought those first 4 holes were good.

I can't believe you convinced the park to expand to an 18 after somebody got hurt on the 9er. I could see a knee-jerk reaction of pulling the baskets completely after something like that but I guess since they've already bought some baskets calmer heads would prevail.

It is going to be somewhat odd that little Albemarle can become one of the stronger areas for quality DG. The course in Richfield is pretty decent and the one in Oakboro is really fun too.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
No kidding. I remember opting for the safest line possible and still running the risk of hitting a dude fishing. It's mind-blowing that somebody thought those first 4 holes were good.

I can't believe you convinced the park to expand to an 18 after somebody got hurt on the 9er. I could see a knee-jerk reaction of pulling the baskets completely after something like that but I guess since they've already bought some baskets calmer heads would prevail.

It is going to be somewhat odd that little Albemarle can become one of the stronger areas for quality DG. The course in Richfield is pretty decent and the one in Oakboro is really fun too.
We have the benefit of working with a Parks Department who is 100% behind disc golf and is willing to work with us to improve the course. It makes it much easier when they have bought into the sport and what it brings to the community.