Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 AM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
maybe it's just my ability but i feel like there isn't enough height on the far right route to allow a shot to get to the basket; or maybe you designed it that way since for me it seems to be by far the safest and easiest route to take.
As far as I know (Mr. Sloppy has been very good about giving me work updates), there is still a lot of limbing to do on the course, so they probably haven't yet cut the high limbs on #6.

That's the one hole where a righty who likes to throw a big high hyzer can really let it rip. So eventually you should be well within the circle if you execute well.

Quote:
as far as par for the reds, the way you put it makes sense if it is par for red level players. though you will definitely get some debate on that.
Glad that makes sense to you. And I'm sure you're right that others will have differing views, which is fine.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
To me, the Red tees play a par 65 for Red level players. They certainly wouldn't be considered 65 for Blue level players. And the landing areas wouldn't make sense for Blue level players.
Is that common in disc golf? To cater "par" to the level of the player?

In golf, par is the score an "expert" player is expected to make. So the red tees would likely be all par threes. So what if the players who play the red tees are new and thus not very good - let them make a bunch of 5s for awhile. They're still not likely to make 8s or 9s like they will on 130-yard par threes on a golf course.

I realize that what you shoot relative to "par" changes how you feel about your performance - call a 450-yard hole on a golf course a par five and people will feel better about making a 5 than if you call it a par four - but how much do we need to lie to people in order to make them feel good?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Is that common in disc golf? To cater "par" to the level of the player?

In golf, par is the score an "expert" player is expected to make. So the red tees would likely be all par threes. So what if the players who play the red tees are new and thus not very good - let them make a bunch of 5s for awhile. They're still not likely to make 8s or 9s like they will on 130-yard par threes on a golf course.
iacas, you've probably forgotten more about ball golf than I'll ever know -- your expertise has been demonstrated multiple times. However, I'm not clear on this "par for different tees" concept.

I could be totally wrong, but from the ball courses I've seen, par seems to be set for the level of player expected to play from that tee. In fact, I've seen cases where a single tee will be both the "Blue" and the "Red" tee. But it will be a Blue Par 4 and a Red Par 5. If what you're saying is true, there would never be a case to do this.

(There are also LOTS of examples of the Red (or even Senior) tees on par 5's being WAY forward, and it still is labeled a Par 5. If it were labeled for a flat expert, these would easily be Par 4's.)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
I could be totally wrong, but from the ball courses I've seen, par seems to be set for the level of player expected to play from that tee. In fact, I've seen cases where a single tee will be both the "Blue" and the "Red" tee. But it will be a Blue Par 4 and a Red Par 5. If what you're saying is true, there would never be a case to do this.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
The par 5 is for women. A woman expert player doesn't hit the ball as far as a male expert player.

But nice try. :P
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

So you're saying Red tees are specifically "women"? So what are Black tees? Or Gold? Or Green? Is there an "expert" for each of those, and that's what the Par is set to?

I don't see how that's much different than setting par according to skill level.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
So you're saying Red tees are specifically "women"? So what are Black tees? Or Gold? Or Green? Is there an "expert" for each of those, and that's what the Par is set to?

I don't see how that's much different than setting par according to skill level.
I'm saying that hole is a par five for women, and a par four for men.

Par doesn't change just because you change tees. The course rating can change (which will change your differential, which then changes your handicap index), but the given par doesn't.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Not buying it. Or not seeing it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
I'm saying that hole is a par five for women, and a par four for men.
So it's okay to have different pars if the skill difference is due to gender. That's what you're saying?

If the skill difference is due to age or newbie-ness, then it's not okay?

Question: At Rock Ridge (the course for this thread), why would you set Par on the Red tees for an "expert" frisbee golfer if "experts" aren't ever expected to play those tees?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

grodney2037642]So it's okay to have different pars if the skill difference is due to gender. That's what you're saying?[/quote]

Yep. Women do not - and CAN NOT - hit a golf ball as far as men. There are obviously exceptions, but by and large, it's true.

Quote:
If the skill difference is due to age or newbie-ness, then it's not okay?
Correct. Why cater to someone who sucks because they're a newbie?

Quote:
Question: At Rock Ridge (the course for this thread), why would you set Par on the Red tees for an "expert" frisbee golfer if "experts" aren't ever expected to play those tees?
All par threes, possibly some par 2s if there's a short hole without much trouble.

Or just don't assign a par to them if you're worried about hurting people's feelings.

So a newbie shoots 84. What's that problem? That's what they got. Whether that's +12 or +30 shouldn't - and probably doesn't - matter.

I don't care what you "buy" or "see" - open your eyes. It's been done in golf for multiples of the time disc golf has even been around, and it works just fine.

Pick a fight with someone else. I'm not going to feel good about myself for getting a "birdie" on a 420-foot par "five" in disc golf.