Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
.:Master Course Designer:.

Years Playing: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Seems to me like an overly complicated (and expensive) way of changing par to match a player's ability.
Thanks for posting that, coupe.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read that as adjusting hole par based on skill level. It seems more to me like adjusting your skill level to match par.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhouck View Post
Thanks for posting that, coupe.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read that as adjusting hole par based on skill level. It seems more to me like adjusting your skill level to match par.
That seems to me as a distinction without a difference, because whichever way you look at it, the result is that "bogey golfers" don't play a course with the goal of shooting the posted par: they play it with the goal of shooting (posted par+1) on every hole. (And, of course, there are the bogey+ players, for whom the goal is to break 100.) So by formally recognizing the concept of "bogey golf" and incorporating it into the handicapping system, the USGA effectively creates a skill-adjusted par, even though they don't call it that.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
I'm just going to get a big fat sharpie and re-do all John's signs at Rock Ridge to more accurately reflect true 'Sloppy Disc Par'. There will be quite a few Par 5s and possibly a few Par 7s out there soon enough.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
That seems to me as a distinction without a difference, because whichever way you look at it, the result is that "bogey golfers" don't play a course with the goal of shooting the posted par: they play it with the goal of shooting (posted par+1) on every hole. (And, of course, there are the bogey+ players, for whom the goal is to break 100.) So by formally recognizing the concept of "bogey golf" and incorporating it into the handicapping system, the USGA effectively creates a skill-adjusted par, even though they don't call it that.
Fair enough. Let me try again. since this discussion was originally about whether the red tees and blue tees should show the same par. The USDGA isn't saying that the par should change on the tee signs; they're essentially saying "If your a bogey golfer, it's OK to shoot a bogey."
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
are the signs up yet, thinking about going out there later his afternoon or tomorrow for a round.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM

No signs yet. They are currently in production and should ship early next week.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Well the front 9 looks great, most of the crap in the fairways is starting to take a beating. Kudos to everyone working hard out there. The back 9 is a different story, the rain has caused the green stuff to go in kudzu mode; especially on 15 and 16. The rain is really doing a number out there on parts of the course. There were a couple of pads where the guy carved them in to the hill that are now being eroded by a stream. 8 was the worst, there was a literal stream running out of the hill onto the front of the pad and it had eroded it and started to pool. There's also a small pond now in that low spot on 12. I honestly can not remember the last time we got so much rain in a summer.

I shot a 62 and I'm not sure if that's the course record but it's the record on here... even though only Mike and I have entered a score. I sure felt pretty damn good about it even though I missed a couple maddening putts. I had a 25' putt for a 4 on 17 and I clanked it.... that didn't feel good. I did birdie 6, 7, 9, 10 and 13. I thought I'd be happier about a birdie on 7 but it felt pretty routine since I took the left route after finding a thumber gap off the tee. My birdie on 10 was extremely satisfying. I flexed my PD out off the tee and curved it right around that last tree in the fairway where it turns, then had a not so difficult upshot.

There's still some areas where I thought I had the line right but caught some upper limbs that aggrivated me but eventually that stuff will either get knocked down or somebody will trim it.

So now I've birdied 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. I'll get them all eventually.

Last edited by New013; 07-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Don't worry about 12. It has flooded before. We have a plan in place to trench and possibly bridge that hole. We just figured it would be Ok until fall. Never expected this much rain in the summer. Oh well, it'll go away eventually. 15-17 all need so e TLC, and the crew is aware. I have been travelling for work or on vacation for several weeks so I have not been out there. I should be able to get out this weekend so I'll update if I do.

Nice shooting New! But we're replacing the baskets with Bullseye's next week. Hope your putting is up to snuff.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Oh yeah, I found a pale pinkish Glide on 15. I also only had 4 ticks and I put zero bug spray on, the trick was that I put a protection spell on myself before the round. The protection spell was basically some hippie **** I made up.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Now you must build a large bonfire, and sacrifice the ticks to the DG Gods. The entire process involves some charred meat and some chilled adult beverages. Then you must burn the ticks while chanting the secret Rock Ridge code. Good luck.