Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 32
Does anyone else get THAT reaction?

What is the reaction you get when you first tell people you know about Disc Golf? I've heard everything from 'That's Gay' to 'Isn't that a stoner sport' to 'That's cool, I've heard of it but never played it'. Actually I get the first one most, But I was just wondering.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've been playing DG at a park setting & have had people come up & ask what I'm doing. Usually they are pretty impressed & very interested in it. The only negative reactions I get are from my casual playing friends who after throwing a bad round they quit & say "this game is for f@gs".
Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 81
My uncle who is about 60 years old got upset when I told him I played and very seriously said "don't you realize that only gay people play that sport". He had read about it in the paper. I dismissed it, figuring it was just an Austin thing since Austin has become "little San Francisco". I will ask him about the article he read to get more information.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 9
never have gotten a negative reaction. probably cause most people i tell havent heard about DG. it's so different sounding to most people that they ask more about it. Most people are really interested. Even my dad- whose hardcore ballgolferdude. The only people that might say something negative would be my friends just to bust my balls - but they have heard of the sport it Wouldnt reflect their true feelings about DG.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
My uncle who is about 60 years old got upset when I told him I played and very seriously said "don't you realize that only gay people play that sport".
well, guess I am going to go have to learn to suck some d$ck.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 134
Around here we get the "that's gay" reaction a lot. I don't really care because it is usually someone who doesn't play the game or has attempted and sucked mightily. The other thing is that if you play regularly you can get to be pretty decent within a year or so. Ball golf guys usually get ticked because they have played for 20 years and still go out and shoot 12 over and consider it a great round. I have actually taken about 20 different kids and college age adults out to our local course so they can see what its like. Out of that group, there are about 5 to 10 who now play on a weekly basis. The other thing that helps is that area high schools are starting to fund "club" teams for disc golf. they have the label of "club" because they are not sanctioned by the state high school athletics association. But if these "club" competitions grow in popularity, rumor has it, that the state may add disc golf to its list of sanctioned sports. In high school I lettered in baseball, but I am too old for that now. It would have been cool to letter in disc golf and still be able to enjoy the game.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan44 View Post
Around here we get the "that's gay" reaction a lot. I don't really care because it is usually someone who doesn't play the game or has attempted and sucked mightily. The other thing is that if you play regularly you can get to be pretty decent within a year or so. Ball golf guys usually get ticked because they have played for 20 years and still go out and shoot 12 over and consider it a great round. I have actually taken about 20 different kids and college age adults out to our local course so they can see what its like. Out of that group, there are about 5 to 10 who now play on a weekly basis. The other thing that helps is that area high schools are starting to fund "club" teams for disc golf. they have the label of "club" because they are not sanctioned by the state high school athletics association. But if these "club" competitions grow in popularity, rumor has it, that the state may add disc golf to its list of sanctioned sports. In high school I lettered in baseball, but I am too old for that now. It would have been cool to letter in disc golf and still be able to enjoy the game.
Yeah, the 'Its Gay' reaction is ALWAYS from someone who doesn't play the game, but it still gets thrown out there a lot. I also have taken groups of teens out, as well as friends, and alomost all of them have bought discs and started to play. That is great to hear about the school clubs! I also wish I could have played in school.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: LHBH
At my HS, there was a DG club, and the president invited me to join them for a round on several occasions. I always refused. Still kick myself for not trying it out then, I could've found DG years sooner. I can only imagine how good i would be now if I had been playing since HS.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 9
It would be cool to have HS club teams - tho i'm still getting used to Lacrosse being played at my old HS - so a Varsity DG team would be strange to me. Just as long as DG isnt taking away from the Baseball or Football team's talent (depending on the season) - like LAX does.

but aside from my selfish reasons - the more people playing HS sports the better.

What season would disc golf be for Highschool? I'm thinking being up in the Northeast - it would be a Fall Sport

Old 09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 54
I have never heard the "That's Gay" comment. Most of the people I talk to about it have never heard of it. It still amazes me to have people in the park just stare at us like they don't know what we are doing. Some of these courses have been in these parks for years, and people don't know what" Those things with the chains" are. I think that if more people knew about the sport , they would be having fun.