Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 28
Yeah and this is what really torques me off. People who use the course as a nature trail. Right after our course was put in I could understand it. But after three years there's no excuse for it. Every time I see someone doing this I warn them that they could get hurt because people who are teeing off will not necessarily see them.

And once a group of kids were playing football in the middle of one hole. That's just ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:33 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
When I played at La Mirada, there was a couple picnicking in the middle of a fairway. I walked down and told them I was about to throw and they were in the middle of a disc golf hole, but they just shrugged and blew me off. That course was easily the most renowned course in the World at that time, and it had been there for 20 years at that point. I remember thinking "If the people in LA Mirada don't know about disc golf, where in the Hell DO people know about disc golf?"
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 28
It makes me mad. People would never dream of doing that in the middle of a ballfield or a ball golf course.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Never gotten the "gay" reaction or the "stoner" one either . I usually get the "what is that" ?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

I went to play one Labor Day weekend and there was a camper parked in the fairway of #3 at Archusa and a Tent about 20 feet from the #2 basket but at least off to the side. That course does not have a lot of regular Disc golfers.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 19
I don't understand the whole gay thing? There is absolutely nothing remotely homosexual about a group of sweaty, hard breathing guys traipsing through the dense overgrowth with man-bags full of brighly colored plastic.....OK, let me start over. Seriously, I had not heard the gay correlation before.Wonder if its only in certain metro areas? The stoner label is somewhat legit, at least in my area.
The comment I have probably heard the most from non-players is, "Do you play fisbee golf just like real golf?" I try to be patient as I explain to them that disc golf is very real in its own right and point out the many reasons why I enjoy it. Some people seem genuinely intrigued but most just kind of have that "Oh thats nice" response and are on there way.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
If there is a "gay" stereotype, it probably came from an outsider seeing an event and noticing 100 dudes hanging around without a woman in sight. Get more chicks to play and it will all go away!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Like I said I havn't heard that but if you go to a gym and a bunch of guys are playing BB is that gay? I don't think the lack of women playing the sport is relevant.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
More often than not I have heard people refer to disc golf as "gay" -- not meaning it is for homosexuals but gay meaning "lame".

Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 9
yeah has nothing to do with dude/chix ratio - the "That's Gay" thing is sorta being taken out of context here. That's Gay is sort of an older term not used that much as it once was. - especially since everything is PC nowadays but it's the same thing as "Thats lame" , "That's dumb", "That sucks"
I remember using it as far back as i remember when i definitely didnt know what gay really meant.

The only people who could get away with saying that to someone would have to be people you know pretty well and are busting balls.