Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Boy I have been gone a long time. Need help...

Hello everyone! I started playing disc golf in 1990. I played for a number of years and play some tournaments as well. I even bought a basket for the back yard that was used for practicing putting. For the last 10 years I have not played much. I was doing around 3-4 rounds a year or no rounds at all. My kids play in a lot of tennis tournaments and time is short.

Now I have come back to disc golf. There are so many things that are different. When I was playing everyone was driving with Vipers and par was 3 on every hole. What disc can I buy that are longer flyers and what is the deal with par now? Thanks!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Groove is definately the way to go!

And don't ask about par here, you'll only start a fight.

Last edited by ForTheGlory; 06-23-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Kidding about the Groove. Not so much about par.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 84
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.co...ightguide.html

There are SO many choices now it boggles the mind.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Man, if I had discovered disc golf in 1990, I'd have been a pro for years. Welcome back! The Viper is still a great disc, but there are a few longer drivers out there.

I might pick up a Teebird, and maybe a Wraith. I assume you have a pretty good arm, or could find it again if needed. If you want to go big, the Destroyer is probably Innova's most popular distance driver.

I wouldn't worry about par too much. It doesn't really mean anything anyway. Just have fun, and get to the basket in as little throws as possible, just like before. That's the number that really counts at the end of the round.

If you want to branch out from Innova, the world is your oyster. There are SO MANY discs to choose from these days. MVP, and Latitude 64 make very high quality discs. And of course, you have Discraft, which I believe has come out with about 5 molds since 1990.

Anyway, welcome to the site. I think you'll enjoy the discussions that go on around here, and some of the inanity as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
You old disc molds are still very popular and even some highly sought after don't dump your old discs without checking value... Gonna have to do a lot of reading as there are new companies and products popping up everyday..Discs are faster/further flying thus pars have adjusted accordingly due to longer/tougher courses being designed.Id find a local to help you with all the new discs but we are still playing disc golf nothing much different other than rules and technologies improving.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 AM

I played around yesterday at the Hippodrome (Old Glory Course) I did have a Valkyrie in my bag. I found I could throw it about 305ft - 310ft. The tight holes ate me up though. The guy in the shop suggested a Wraith after my round so I got one and it will be in my bag today when I go to play.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
If you're throwing the Valk 305-310, the Wraith might not give you much, if any more distance. It will give you more stability though.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplracer View Post
I played around yesterday at the Hippodrome (Old Glory Course) I did have a Valkyrie in my bag. I found I could throw it about 305ft - 310ft. The tight holes ate me up though. The guy in the shop suggested a Wraith after my round so I got one and it will be in my bag today when I go to play.
You need a stable mid-range for this. Time for another Buzzz vs. Roc discussion.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:54 AM

As for the distance on the drives it should improve. I have not played more than 6 times in the last three years.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
This might be one of those times that you just hit the local courses and try to group with people who look to be more up to date. Ask them if you can pick their brain. Feel their discs if they let you and then ask if you can toss some of the ones that feel good to you. After a few weeks of this and easing yourself back into the game you will be able to hit up the disc shop and make some informed personal choices.

That's how I did it at least. I started in about 1996 and played two years. Two or three years ago I started again. Now I know more about all the discs that come out then I should for the sake of spending.