Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 92
Frog Rock Park - Austell, GA

I'm designing a new 9-hole course for the city of Austell just west of Atlanta (25 min drive from downtown ATL). The course will have 2 sets of teepads and 3 pin positions per hole. If well received they will likely add another 9 holes; there is plenty of land in the park, it just needs to be cleared.

The course is on a beautiful piece of land that was a ball golf course 50+ years ago, but now is a mix of grass and trees with absolutely no undergrowth. This should be a solid course based on the fantastic piece of land. It will play par 31 and ~3,700' from the long tees.

Initial design completed today, here are photos (pre-tree removal): http://imgur.com/a/qNvAG

The course should be happening very soon; it's already fully funded and just needs fairway trees removed, teepads and baskets. I expect it will be fully installed this summer. I'll post updates here.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Great news!

I'm in Stone Mountain so it'll be a bit of a drive but I'm looking forward to heading that way. Future updates welcome!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Par Member

Update on Austell: All of the trees (50-70 trees) have been cut by the city, and all should be removed by the end of the week. I've never seen government move this fast ... saying they are eager is an understatement. We tested the course out last weekend, but it was still quite rough as many of the trees had been knocked over but not yet removed.

We'll be testing the course again this weekend on Sunday, time TBD but likely in the afternoon. We will setup and play 2 rounds of 9 holes so I can record/analyze the scores. Come check it out if you're in the area.

The course will be awesome once complete. The land is shady, mostly flat and schule free -- and the county is receptive to cutting trees and creating valid fairways.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Any updates???

I'm going to be in Austell, GA next weekend and was wondering if the course is ready to play???
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 29.4
Courses Played: 102
Frog Rock

Course is still not in yet.

Has been approved, but not started yet.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Par Member

There's supposed to be a grand opening this spring, but dates have not been announced. It's pretty well marked with wood stakes at front/back of teepads and at pin placements. Teepads have possibly already been installed but I haven't been out to check since we staked it 4 weeks ago.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!!

My boys and I may have to hit up another course in that area. Frog Park is just down from my Aunt's house so that's why I was hoping it was ready.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Par Member

Teepads are finally under construction with baskets to follow soon. There will be a big grand opening celebration this spring, date TBD.

For the time being, the teepads will be compacted gravel with 6"x6" wood frames. They should be nice at 12' long, 6' in the back and 4' in the front. They promise to finely sift the gravel and possibly upgrade to concrete in the future. Also, they are already talking about adding 9 more holes.

This is the short tee for hole 2:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 54
Awesome!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 152
Great job Ritger! It seems like I'm always passing through Austell so I should be able to enjoy plenty of rounds there.