Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Scorpius vs. Destroyer

Ok, so I am all about the Destroyer (I carry three different ones for three different flights). As a result, I am open to trying all kinds of destroyer like discs. I tried the Trespass and found it a little flippy for my liking, so now I am curious about the Scorpius. I know that they are very close to destroyers due to the Millennium/Innova relationship, and was wondering how the two compare in flight. Mostly want to know about the Sirius plastic ones as I prefer Star plastics for my drivers. I will probably be getting one after Christmas, but I would love any feedback!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 34
Aren't they, like, exactly the same as Destroyers?

As in, literally made from the same mold.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
I heard they were exactly the same. ((Rumor not fact))
Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 14
I thought the Scorpius was a beefier wraith. Need to check on the rim dimensions though.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 87
There's never been a vulcan topped Scorpius. I don't know if there's even been a second run yet.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 62
I know there's been a lot of comparison between the two being identical discs but don't remember what the consensus ended up being. Hopefully zj chimes in soon, he'd be the one to ask.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
I believe ZJ noted the scorpius has a different top. I ain't edumacated in disc makin', but I'd agree with him. I throw only the bottom stamped Sirius scorpius, and they bomb.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozzz View Post
I believe ZJ noted the scorpius has a different top. I ain't edumacated in disc makin', but I'd agree with him. I throw only the bottom stamped Sirius scorpius, and they bomb.
They are not identical based on current offerings of both discs. For the most part the Sirius Scoprius is the best version. There may be versions of the Destroyer that are indeed a Scorpius, but I am pretty confident that the current stock Star Destroyer is a different disc. The Scorpius has a deeper rim depth, slightly shorter wing, and the wing is less convex that most current stock Destoryers. This to me makes it feel like a Speed 11 while still flying like a Speed 12. Millennium could very well have just had Innova run Destroyers for them, but my original inquiries to Mill about the disc led to them telling me it was intended to be a disc that flew like a Destroyer, but wasn't a Destroyer. It is meant to fly like a Destroyer, but for the most part the disc does have subtle shape differences in the runs available that make it clearly a different disc.

But none of that matters because I think the Scorpius is a superior disc. This is why...

The Q-Scorpius is the least stable to start. I use these for out of the box straight flippers or for more control. I prefer a 168g Q for this.

The Stock Sirius Scorpius is the best overall. Offers nice stable flight with the ability to move forward fast out of the hand and still have a reliable fade. As you beat them up they turn into mega distance throwers. The late forward fade stays around as you learn to flip them over.

The white bottom stamped S-Scorpius is very high speed stable, capable of handling a lot of torque or wind and still fighting back reliable, sometimes better than a stable Destroyer. I have one with about year of abuse that still won't flip over. This version of the Scorpius has a more concave wing and is the closest cousin to the Destroyer's that share this concave wing. I am not sure if it comes from the plastic or the mold but its pretty close either way.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
They are not identical based on current offerings of both discs. For the most part the Sirius Scoprius is the best version. There may be versions of the Destroyer that are indeed a Scorpius, but I am pretty confident that the current stock Star Destroyer is a different disc. The Scorpius has a deeper rim depth, slightly shorter wing, and the wing is less convex that most current stock Destoryers. This to me makes it feel like a Speed 11 while still flying like a Speed 12. Millennium could very well have just had Innova run Destroyers for them, but my original inquiries to Mill about the disc led to them telling me it was intended to be a disc that flew like a Destroyer, but wasn't a Destroyer. It is meant to fly like a Destroyer, but for the most part the disc does have subtle shape differences in the runs available that make it clearly a different disc.

But none of that matters because I think the Scorpius is a superior disc. This is why...

The Q-Scorpius is the least stable to start. I use these for out of the box straight flippers or for more control. I prefer a 168g Q for this.

The Stock Sirius Scorpius is the best overall. Offers nice stable flight with the ability to move forward fast out of the hand and still have a reliable fade. As you beat them up they turn into mega distance throwers. The late forward fade stays around as you learn to flip them over.

The white bottom stamped S-Scorpius is very high speed stable, capable of handling a lot of torque or wind and still fighting back reliable, sometimes better than a stable Destroyer. I have one with about year of abuse that still won't flip over. This version of the Scorpius has a more concave wing and is the closest cousin to the Destroyer's that share this concave wing. I am not sure if it comes from the plastic or the mold but its pretty close either way.

Great info! So the Sirius is the way to go then it seems. That is great news I'll definitely be picking one up soon. Any differences in color that people have noticed?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post

you . . . curse you . . . and here i was, assuming my plastic purchasing days were over.

looks like scorpius, quasar and hurricane all need to be tried.