Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you could do it without the disc or your hand touching any part of the target before release. It would be like that Operation game where you get buzzed if you touch the wrong parts.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Van View Post
Is it legal to insert one hand through the side of the basket, place a disc in that hand, then take a (very short) shot from inside the basket to finish holing out?

Not that there's any point in doing so, other than to get strange looks from your group.
I am so going to do that this weekend
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 189
I rode with a GM to a tournament last weekend. On our return trip he mentioned a holing out scenario. He had just played with a GM who played in the Charlotte Worlds. The GM told him that it was specifically covered at one of their courses in the player's meeting that the disc must be released before it contacted anything. While I don't disagree with the principle I have never heard of a td making a point to mention this. I'm fairly certain I use a putting motion on everything unless it's one of those stupid elevated baskets.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
Am I misreading this?

There weren't players meetings at the courses at Charlotte Worlds. Just the one giant players meeting Monday night.

Or were there in divisions other than mine?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 180
No, there were no players' meetings on the courses at Charlotte. That is a non-rule rule. I had a past World Champion try to tell me that, a little before I told him that he wasn't keeping score as per the Rules, and he told me that he was. ALWAYS have someone show you it in the rule book if you have a question. I had someone tell me last week that I could not move my disc 1 meter away from OB because I was not OB.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
The GM told him that it was specifically covered at one of their courses in the player's meeting that the disc must be released before it contacted anything.
From 803.13(B): "In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray."

So, there are two parts to holing out: releasing the disc and having it come to rest in the target. Nothing in this rule says those things have to happen in a certain order.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 17
My thing is if you are close enough to place it in the basket, you could just toss it in and avoid controversy with other people.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusfreak View Post
My thing is if you are close enough to place it in the basket, you could just toss it in and avoid controversy with other people.
In most cases you are probably right. Though on one occasion I have seen one such put getting blown out of the basket by a strong wind, and almost have it happen to myself also.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Another player on the card stated that unless you actually released the disc from your hand before it touched the basket that the "place in" putt was illegal. His rationale was that if you were touching the disc and the disc was touching the basket that resulted in a supporting point in front of your lie [which violates rule 803.04].