Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you look at USDGC '09 video when Nikko won, they had yellow ropes marking OB and red ropes marking a BUNCR. If you throw into a BUNCR (basically like throwing OB), you just threw again from your previous lie without adding any penalty strokes. Basically a TD can set up a certain area as a BUNCR instead of OB so if you throw into it, you just re-throw your shot without attaching an extra stroke penalty.

Another example of it was at the European Open last year. Hole 12 had the BUNCR rule in effect. McBeth misses off the tee, then re-throws his drive (they don't show it in the video). Then you see him throwing his third shot to the island green, which he misses several times, but he just kept re-throwing until he finally made one on the green. He did not take additional stroke penalties with every shot he missed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKyr7AJqTao#t=14m06s

Last edited by notroman; 09-07-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I read this yesterday morning and thought "weird, but who cares"

Then about 2 hours later I got an invite and confirmed I was playing.

So then I went back and read it and thought "dang, I care now"
Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 180
OK, MTL, I thought you were hurt. How did you get an invite?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I think I'm important

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRZ001 View Post
OK, MTL, I thought you were hurt. How did you get an invite?
I suffered a neck in injury in early 2009 that occured throwing. While I recovered from it, I had to change my throw and my game went downhill due to it.

I then tore my MCL in May of 2011. The knee still hurts when I play but doesnt effect my game.

I was invited as a State Coordinator. Couldn't say no.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 180
OK, if I got this right then, then 50 spots are given to state coordinators, and then 50 spots are designated, one for each state, so there are 100 of these spots total? Or did you decide, as the state coordinator, to give your spot to MTL, you sly dog?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I think I'm important

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRZ001 View Post
OK, if I got this right then, then 50 spots are given to state coordinators, and then 50 spots are designated, one for each state, so there are 100 of these spots total? Or did you decide, as the state coordinator, to give your spot to MTL, you sly dog?
I awarded my spot in NC to Stephen Williams based on qualification at a selected A-Tier event. He was the lowest scoring player based on performance scoring.

Article about it...

http://www.usdgc.com/06/18/n-c-finds-a-state-rep

The state coordinators were invited in addition to their state reps in hopes of filling the 72 person field.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
It would have filled without offering up so many spots. I've always found it silly they give spots to TD's and co-ordinators (no offence) but the tournament shouldnt equal a get away for hard work. It is the USDGC and a number of TD's and Coordinators dont have the skills to be competitive. I guess... most of them don't make the cut anyway, but its a shame the best players dont get to play... I'm not bitter, I've never even attempted nor had the desire to get in...previously.

I've heard of people that got into the USDGC because they knew the state coordinator. It had nothing to do with skill or performance and that is a crappy way to fill a USDGC. I guess the desire is to get as many states represented as possible...with out it being a NC event because those are the people that can play in or would attend if it didnt fill.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
It would have filled without offering up so many spots. I've always found it silly they give spots to TD's and co-ordinators (no offence) but the tournament shouldnt equal a get away for hard work. It is the USDGC and a number of TD's and Coordinators dont have the skills to be competitive.
The State Coordinator, State Rep, and TD invites are all for the Performance Flight. The Open Flight features only players that qualify based on skills.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM
DGCR Vendor

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 32
what we need to realize it they mention the disc "striking/hitting the playing surface". So this rule does not apply to all throws.
Only if you threw a disc that landed in bounds and slid/skipped out do you get to make the decision.
Otherwise a disc that never touched inbounds, but was in bounds at some point during it's throw will have to be played as per the rules of the hole(which would be to either rethrow from the tee with penalty or throw from last place it was inbounds with penalty).

That's what it looks like to me. anyone else notice otherwise?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
The State Coordinator, State Rep, and TD invites are all for the Performance Flight. The Open Flight features only players that qualify based on skills.
But not in the past. The same spots were offered in years past when there was no performance split. Just always seemed odd to me.