Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 142
Getting sponsored

So I know there is an elite few number of people that get picked up to play for companies and get sponsored which obviously comes from success in tourneys, events, leagues, etc.
Looking for other suggestions on surrounding myself with great players and possibly getting recognized and sharpening my skills....
Thanks in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
If you're looking for serious sponsorship you need to play well in A-Tier events and National Tours. There's really no other way. Play well at the highest level and you will be noticed.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Besides playing (and winning) tournaments, be an ambassador for the sport. Volunteer time, free local clinics, course clean up days etc.. A sponsor doesn't want someone who just wins, but they want someone that will reflect well on their sponsorship.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotCujo View Post
So I know there is an elite few number of people that get picked up to play for companies and get sponsored which obviously comes from success in tourneys, events, leagues, etc.
Looking for other suggestions on surrounding myself with great players and possibly getting recognized and sharpening my skills....
Thanks in advance for your input!
Not a whole lot of great players here in AZ. In Tucson the top guys are probably Andrew Bohme and Jacob Vasquez. We have Ulibarri and Cat Allen here in the valley during the off-season, and they are definitely top notch. But, if you want any recognition you need to win some big events. The Memorial is in February/March. Play well there, and that would help you.

How long have you been in Tucson? I don't think I know you......
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
If you're looking for serious sponsorship you need to play well in A-Tier events and National Tours. There's really no other way. Play well at the highest level and you will be noticed.
Millennium used to sponsor based on performance somewhat, but mostly contributions to the sport. Only the biggest sponsors can really compete for the expensive players. Smaller brands are looking to reflect their image with skilled, kind, upstanding and sport-positive players.

And on the flipside, players who were dropped from the Team racked up hits such as but not limited to law enforcement issues, and one super scumbag who took his entire sponsorship (including team reserve CE goodies) and put it on ebay.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 69
Move to MN and sandbag in AM1, you don't even have to be that good. There's lots of "companies" in this state that want to sponsor Ams.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 116
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ Send a message via Skype™ to ElementZ
I've only played two PDGA-sanctioned events and I'm sponsored.

What you have to do is make yourself stand out and act as a great ambassador to the sport and the company. One of the key things I did was expand DGCR's directory tremendously by adding over 100 courses in Europe, I got a course installed in my city, I played tons of non-PDGA tournaments, and most importantly had a good attitude. Don't be afraid to ask for one! If I hadn't brought it up with the owner of Crosslap, I don't think he would have ever even considered it.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 47
It depends on who you would like to be sponsored by too. Would a smaller company suffice or do you want a major brand?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 142
Awesome that is all great advice. I really would like to make a living with disc golf but im not convinced theres enough money in the sport unless your top in the nation/world, and even then i believe the earnings are modest...

@the hammer: ive only been in tucson since Jan and actually have been back in michigan for a cpl months (my home state) and playing in GA,TN, &AL the month previous.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Looking for other suggestions on surrounding myself with great players...and sharpening my skills....
Play in lots of events and buddy up with the good players that you like. Moving to someplace with a more competitive DG scene wouldn't hurt either.

In regards to actually getting sponsored, you just need to be a vocal presence in your local DG scene. There are plenty of mediocre players who get local support because they're well liked, help organize, and play a lot. Doesn't matter how good you are if you only play a couple events a year and are a dick.

Quote:
I really would like to make a living with disc golf but im not convinced theres enough money in the sport unless your top in the nation/world, and even then i believe the earnings are modest...
There is no where near enough cash in the sport to make a good living playing disc golf.