Disc Golf Store
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
But I do know that if this TD cares at all how good players shoot at his events that he would straighten this out
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
It's a myth that players shoot better with better players. There's no affect on ratings at all overall. If you do shoot worse with lower rated players it's a personal problem, not the nature of playing with lower rated players in the same way some players don't play well in the woods or on elevation or in rain, etc.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 106
1.) You sound like an old curmudgeon who only wants to play with other old men.
2.) It means a lot to an AM to play with a pro who gives them tips and encouragement.
3.) Most people are not bothered with mixing it up on the first round.
4.) Let AM's have some excitement they tend to beef up payments in all of the other divisions.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
I think open players play more slowly......
Different strokes though. Id like the Pdga and td's to address other issues like beer during rounds
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
I think open players play more slowly......
Different strokes though. Id like the Pdga and td's to address other issues like beer during rounds
They should have spotters on every hole to make sure adults don't drink at their own pleasure. If someone is causing you a problem be a man and say something. We don't need to over regulate when you can't be a man and say something yourself.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
as long as people stfu when im driving,putting generally throwing then i do not care who is on the card,

round 2 i want people of my division based on score so I know what i need to win/place. and keeps me in check.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePinchico View Post
1.) You sound like an old curmudgeon who only wants to play with other old men.
2.) It means a lot to an AM to play with a pro who gives them tips and encouragement.
3.) Most people are not bothered with mixing it up on the first round.
4.) Let AM's have some excitement they tend to beef up payments in all of the other divisions.
#1 may be true. Personally, if I sign up for an age-protected divisions, it's in part because I want to spend my weekend with fellow geezers, not 23-year-olds. I could have signed up for Rec if I felt otherwise.

#2 & #3 are assumptions. I don't know what "most people" want. I know plenty of people who prefer not mixing divisions---just not enough to protest.

Likewise, I know plenty of Ams, especially lower-skilled Ams, who aren't that keen to be grouped with people who throw 200' further and make 3 times as many putts as they do.

It's quite different doing this in local play, where we truly might get tips from the Pros, and in tournaments, where the Pros might be too focused to be giving skill and etiquette tips.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
As long as this is in the competition manual, I would like to see this enforced. However, I would love to see the manual changed so this is allowed: I think giving TDs as much freedom as possible is a good thing- they know better than the PDGA what is best for their tournament.

I know that I have brought first time players to tournaments who have been grouped with open players or masters, and this greatly enhanced their tournament experience: either because they go some great tips, because they got to see what a disc can actually do, or because they got to meet more people. And I've never heard any complaining from the open or masters divisions about these grouping. I can see why for some areas, this would be a bad idea. But for our area, this is a great thing since the skilled players don't mind and we really need to get more new players coming out and enjoying their sport. The local leadership can best determine what is needed.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
It drives me crazy when TD's do this.

I've quit an event before b/c the TD refused to stop doing it.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kenny View Post
Section 1.6 of the Competition Manual says I am entitled to that.
And as long as the Comp Manual says that, I agree that's what TD's should be doing (with the occasional exception where cards don't balance out across holes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It's a myth that players shoot better with better players. There's no affect on ratings at all overall. If you do shoot worse with lower rated players it's a personal problem, not the nature of playing with lower rated players in the same way some players don't play well in the woods or on elevation or in rain, etc.
Even if it is a "personal problem", it's not one that a player should have to endure if a TD intentionally mixes all divisions. To take your example the next step, you'd allow the TD so say some players in a division can play the wooded holes and other can play the open ones... and some players have to play through the rain while others can take a break from it.

As much as you say you're playing against the course there are still multiple elements influencing your round play that are factors of the groups with which you're playing. Personally I'd prefer to be grouped with players in my division (per the rules) that are of the same general skill level. That allows me to compare my game vs. those that I will eventually be directly ranked against.