Old 03-24-2013, 01:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 93
Throwing Style: RHBH
Tournament Weather

Well, today I played in a sanctioned tournament with the worst weather I have ever played a tournament in. Don't get me wrong, I have played in all kinds of rain, I have played in the wind, I have played in some crazy weather where it is t-shirt and shorts weather and then snows by the end of the round. But today, there was about a foot of snow on the ground, the wind was blowing most of the time. And the best piece of gear one could wear was ski goggles. I know GBO last year has some crazy wind, but I think the added depth of snow makes this more ridiculous. What are some of the craziest weather situations that you have played a tournament in?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 69
Today! Agreed Scott!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
While it's not bad weather, it definitely qualifies as crazy. Comfortably playing in shorts, on Christmas Day, in Fargo ND. Very weird indeed.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Mighty Gaw tournament two years ago in New Jersey. It was howling wind during round one, howling wind and pouring rain round two. Course is located on a ski hill. The wind was blowing so hard, the rain was being pushed up the mountain. I'd never seen rain go up before.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Summer thunderstorm, lightning all around, and a TD with a very slow trigger-finger on the air horn.

That's the craziest. Worst was steady rain, 36 degrees, and 10-15 MPH winds. At that point, if the temperature had dropped and the rain turned to snow, it would have been an improvement.

At the other end of the scale, a South Carolina July on a course with large shadeless stretches. The day I drank 128 ounces of Gatorade and never had to pee.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
I was scheduled to play in the Monkey Island Open here today but DD decided to postpone it until next Saturday. I wan't looking forward to playing in several inches of snow. I'm going rabbit hunting instead.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Summer thunderstorm, lightning all around, and a TD with a very slow trigger-finger on the air horn.

the other end of the scale, a South Carolina July on a course with large shadeless stretches. The day I drank 128 ounces of Gatorade and never had to pee.
And here I thought you had never played any of my tournaments.

While im not sure if youre refering to the SC Doubles of 2010, the rain was a down pour when we started and never let up. Thunder and lighting didnt start till we were half way through. We blew the horn but that course is so large, the rain was falling so hard, most didnt hear and finished their round. We canceled the afternoon round and people were mad.

I'll tell you this....I never want to be the TD in a bad weather situation again. No matter what you do...calling or suspending a round everyone ends up talking junk.

I have played and ran tournaments in extreme heat. I had either 5 or 10 gallon water coolers everyother hole and had someone going around and refresshing water during that particular event and people still complain.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 24
played the local club membership tourney for tags about a week ago. it was like 30 mph sustained winds. not good. lol but id rather it be windy than 100 degrees plus outside. I can't take the heat
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
I heard about that, Adam---from some folks who were at the furthest reaches of the course and had to traverse the lightning gauntlet to get to safety. They said getting back was as dangerous as staying out there.

No, my example was at Crooked Creek. I was actually in the group with the playing TD and assistant TD. They let us go about an hour---then blew the horn while we were all on the green, waiting to putt out the last hole. (Had to come back the next day, putt once, and wait for scores to be tabulated before starting the 3rd round).

It's definitely a no-win situation for the TD. (I was a baseball coach and league official for decades, and thunderstorms were always a pain in the

Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 36
I played a fundraiser tournament in Louisville, KY. the round started, and it was sunny and beautiful, but when we got to hole 6, a thunderstorm blew in faster than any I have ever seen. We ran across the fairway in a torrential downpour, certain that at any second we would be struck by lightning. But we made it back to a tent that was set up, and about 15 of us huddled under the tent and rode out the storm.