#41  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM
BigE's Avatar
BigE BigE is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
The biggest/best equipt TD in Dallas is Jeremy Rusco with Dynamic Discs from Kansas, LOL.
The oldest/biggest event in Dallas (Arlington on the Fort Worth side) is the Veterans Park Open that the Arlington Disc Golf Association runs. They aren't going to split efferts away from the flagship event.
Cedar Hill contact is Brian Lamero but he doesn't do any TD work, he is a hard working guy who makes the greatness that is Lester Lorch park possible.
Our latest (for profit) TDs are Dewayne with Straight Line, Wes of HyzerBomb and Kevin of 4 the chains from the Austin area picked up some of the defunct TitleDisc events. I don't know that any of them are interested in drumming up the outside sponsorship dollars that it takes to run this event to the standards of the Houston guys.
The Rose City club in Tyler has/had it own flagship event in the piney woods pro/am, I'm not sure the status of that event.

Don't think Dallas will take it any time soon. (nothing said above should be taken as critasism, I have nothing but respect for these people and what they do.)

If I wasn't a (newish) father, this event would be a must play for me. Can't say enough good things about the way Houston ran it the one year I played and have seen nothing but good things from Vinny at the TX women's events. Roy G will be an awsome course for tournaments and Manor is a true test of dg skill. I'd sign up today if I thought I could play it.
I wish we had more of a DFW Metro Club that could pool our resources and run some tourneys for the people by the people Right now its more short sited like just course clubs nothing to bring the masses together. Funky Town trys but not enough volunters in the leadership means burnout and lack of progress

Last edited by BigE; 09-21-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
crashzero's Avatar
crashzero crashzero is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc2004 View Post
I am not a fan of only having one (non age restricted) Am division. I know in previous years they have had MA1 and MA2, but combining all AM's into one division is going to suck for everybody. Let me start by saying that I have nothing against someone personally based on their ability to throw a frisbee cause compared to some pro's I am the lesser player so I keep that in mind. However, if I am paying this kind of money to play in a tournament of this caliber I am not going to want MA2 and MA3 guys on my card (first round). I am going to want other people of my skill level who are making good shots and playing smart and following all the rules. Also, I would bet the majority of MA2 and MA3 guys who would want to play States aren't going to want to compete against the MA1 guys either. This proposed model seems like they are trying to make the pro divisions really good (which is fine) but in my opinion they kinda took a dump on the Am's this year.
why not just play in open?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
giles's Avatar
giles giles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 146
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I wish we had more of a DFW Metro Club that could pool our resources and run some tourneys for the people by the people Right now its more short sited like just course clubs nothing to bring the masses together. Funky Town trys but not enough volunters in the leadership means burnout and lack of progress
I thought Funky Town was more about trying to get more courses in Fort Worth and working to fix up the existing courses.

We are drifting the thread away but you are right. Too many localised clubs with nobody pulling them together in DFW. You would need a small group of people with a goal (like worlds or TX states) to try and get all the clubs working to that one goal.
1.2.3. NOT IT!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
giles's Avatar
giles giles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 146
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc2004 View Post
I am not a fan of only having one (non age restricted) Am division. I know in previous years they have had MA1 and MA2, but combining all AM's into one division is going to suck for everybody. Let me start by saying that I have nothing against someone personally based on their ability to throw a frisbee cause compared to some pro's I am the lesser player so I keep that in mind. However, if I am paying this kind of money to play in a tournament of this caliber I am not going to want MA2 and MA3 guys on my card (first round). I am going to want other people of my skill level who are making good shots and playing smart and following all the rules. Also, I would bet the majority of MA2 and MA3 guys who would want to play States aren't going to want to compete against the MA1 guys either. This proposed model seems like they are trying to make the pro divisions really good (which is fine) but in my opinion they kinda took a dump on the Am's this year.
I missed this untill I saw the other reply.

I played The Memorial in AZ with only 1 am feild. Had no problems like you are talking about. In fact it was the last round where I was sitting in 12th or so that it go to me when two of the guys on my card were throwing 100' farther than I.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
crashzero's Avatar
crashzero crashzero is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 280
So, this event is now the 2013 TX States Manor Open?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
tk15946 tk15946 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 28
it's not just manor is it? I heard Manor, Roy G, and Met for Open...any details Vinnie? Also ready to sign up, with only 60 open gotta get in quickly
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Scoot_er's Avatar
Scoot_er Scoot_er is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ace. TX
Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 123
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk15946 View Post
it's not just manor is it? I heard Manor, Roy G, and Met for Open...any details Vinnie? Also ready to sign up, with only 60 open gotta get in quickly

I heard a rumor that Pros will only play Manor.

Hopefully this isn't true as I would much rather play the Met and Roy G.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
tk15946 tk15946 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 28
ya a few of us are looking to head down in a few weeks to hit all 3, since there is only 1 tourny on one of the 3 before the NT, ill hit vinnie up tonight and see what he says
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM
ChaseTheAce's Avatar
ChaseTheAce ChaseTheAce is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 89
Posts: 1,297
Word is from Vinnie himself that Pros will ONLY be playing Manor. It's a great course that really epitomizes the difficulty and landscapes of Texas golf, but Austin has so many excellent courses that would also be great for the Pros (Roy G, MetCenter, Austin Ridge). The biggest problem is that Manor is far from these courses and one of them (Austin Ridge) is privately owned by a church so a big tournament could interfere with their weekend activities. So really, you just have Roy G and Met unless you consider courses up North. Wilco was a contender before it had tress taken out. Old Settlers is pretty mehhh. It kind of makes sense why the Pros are only playing Manor.
Reply With Quote
 

  #50  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM
mc lazer mc lazer is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 28
Posts: 11
2013 TX State

Bet it's at Old Settlers too. Big Bomber course as Avery would say. I would personally rather it be at the country club or Circle C.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.