Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hoping to add challenge to open par 4 hole

I am working on a nine hole course with two sets of tees: one intended for red level players and the other for white level players. This question concerns hole #8. The first photo below is from the red tee; the second photo is from the white tee. In both photos, the black circles represent basket locations, and the green rectangles are proposed areas for planting trees. The chalk lines that you see represent line of sight paths from tee to basket. I’d rather not plant anything in those paths.
hole 8 short tee.jpg
hole 8 long tee.jpg
The green rectangle on the right in the second picture is the location indicated by the green rectangle in the first picture. This area is the root of my question with this post. As you can see, right now the hole is pretty open. I want to add some decision-making from the tee without sacrificing line of sight to all three basket locations (the tree and some of the hill obstructing the view of location C from the red tee will be cleared to create line of sight). The proposed planting site is the location where there was the greatest distance between chalk lines (32 feet). I am thinking about planting three conifers in an equilateral triangle about six feet apart. I’m not sure what type of conifer (long story that’s not relevant here). The group of trees would be about 200’ from the red tee and 335’ from the white tee. Would this addition add challenge sufficient to warrant the effort? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 572
One way to use the tree grouping is an obstacle for a buncr. Move your tree triangle closer to the tees and space the trees a little farther apart than 6 feet. Leave an uncut grass area maybe 40x40 up to 50x50 in front of the trees as your buncr area. Mark a drop zone 10-15 feet behind the tree triangle. If a player lands in the buncr area, they go to the drop zone (with no penalty) and throw from there. The new trees will force them to play a more difficult approach around the left or right of the trees.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 1149
Beware of the hole on #8, it appears as if it might be a black hole or three.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
It looks to me like you are doing a good thing to add challenge to the holes. Looking at the pics, I think they would make good par-4s with the new trees.

I have a bigger arm than most white level players, but I believe I could reach the C position from that tee as it is now. With trees there, I may be more likely to play it as a par-4 and try to just get by the trees for a look at a 3. The other two positions look like boring holes without the trees (not saying they are as it is tough to tell without playing them) because it is just an open shot with an open short approach to the basket for a 3. With trees there, more thought has to be taken on the drive and it appears like you would have to actually do some shot shaping without it being too frustrating.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 59
i totally disagree with plans to remove the tree and some of the hill merely to gain line of sight from the actual tee.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Russell,
Typically, I would agree with you. I am just trying to limit the number of blind holes on the course. In this case, I should be able to do it without affecting the challenge of the hole. I can trim the bottom of the tree and the top of the hill just enough that it won't create a viable line, just a view of the basket. That location will have a manmade green with some challenge. I want a red level player to at least be able to see where the target is.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Birdie Member

Instead of thinking of planting / cutting trees, think instead of changing the tee box positions! Tee boxes do NOT always have to be totally in the open (with basically unobstructed shots until you get 1/2-way down the fairway or more). If you put one (or both) of the tees near / to one side of a tree you can certainly effect a bias towards a curved shot (big hyzer / anhyzer) and thus make the hole's effective distance longer.

Karl
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 572
A par 4 where you cannot see the pin from the tee is not necessarily considered a blind hole. It's only blind if you still can't see the pin from the desired landing area.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
Beware of the hole on #8, it appears as if it might be a black hole or three.
Someone should put a stick in it.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Karl,
Thanks for the input about moving the tee boxes. In many other places on the course, trees are quite a factor right off the tee. In the case of this hole, that's just not much of an option from the white tees.