Disc Golf Center
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
1. It ruins the natural beauty of the land, hurts the native foliage and animals.
Soil erosion and compaction. This is a very real con, especially on well-used wooded courses. You'd have to ask an environmentalist what damage it does, but it definitely takes place.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazillion View Post
City officials will probably be concerned about things like liability issues, drug use, and damage to park facilities...
There are lots of parks with these types of concerns before disc golf, especially in under-utilized areas of the parks. And from what I have read, the disc golf course installation can lead to more activity in those areas, displacing the troublemakers.

If you can identify a parks director who's experienced this kind of scenario first hand, and ask him or her to write a brief note explaining this, it could help.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 186
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
I would suggest making the main layout a par 54 and add the tougher tees later so that the newer borough players play the shorter fun course and it becomes known as the course
I know this thread isn't "how should I design a new course," However, I take issue to this. Building a par 54 course that quickly becomes too easy and boring then shoe horning additional difficulty is a big pet pieve of mine. Make sure if you take this route you design the par 70 course, then build the par 54 inside of that. The best courses that I have played were built with the long and shorts were added later. It is rare in my experience to find a really good short course that was expanded over.

Back on topic, Ive been to these council meetings too. Size of tree cut is a question. In the end, they see a stump not understanding that it was broken from a prior storm or already dead.

Fauna - you are actually helping it by creating natural pathways, and houses (drag piles) Cutting non-native species to help natives grow healthier. They may ask about animals that live in dead trees, squirrels, owls, and other birds.

Erosion:
Every cut fairway is additional stress on local streams and ponds. Flow and soil pollution.

I've found that the environmentalists are the worst to deal with. They can be kind of snotty. They have a lot of power, too. I always just want to say, "Your park is 50 acres of ball fields and tennis courts, where were you when bulldozers scraped the land bare, mounts of trees were set on fire and non native grass re-planted!!! I just want to make some slightly bigger than walkway paths through the woods dammit! Use their own logic against them, mentioning the positives of making the woods more healthy, eliminating competing trees under the canopy of larger trees. Note transitions of pine and soft wood forests to hardwood forests where applicable..etc.

good luck!!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 46
I'll tell ya a con to installing a new course....poison ivy!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenz View Post
I'll tell ya a con to installing a new course....poison ivy!
Maybe for you! I could roll around in the stuff and come out clean!

As to the OP, to counter a question like "Who will use it?" you could be prepared with numbers about the growth of the sport along with information about the capability of all age groups to participate.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris deitzel View Post
one person on the council was worried that we would need a clubhouse and have a manager to run it. So, that should give you an idea as to how uninformed they are about the sport.
i bet this was a woman

LOL GHOSTBUSTERS ^^
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 48
The biggest con to a disc golf course is disc golfers.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.6
Courses Played: 363
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via AIM to DerekTonn Send a message via MSN to DerekTonn Send a message via Yahoo to DerekTonn Send a message via Skype™ to DerekTonn
I had a couple from our recent course expansion in our town:

1. "Why are you clear-cutting along the river?" The definition of clear-cutting to this person apparently means taking maybe 10% of trees in certain areas (half or more of which are already diseased, damaged, or dying). Ignoring the fact that for every one tree that was taken, probably 1-2 "volunteer plantings" will take its place, and probably 1 tree will be planted in specific places to replace it.

2. "All these brush piles everywhere along our bike trails look terribly ugly!" A valid concern, but it's a temporary annoyance. One that shouldn't stop a project from moving ahead...as long as people understand what you're doing, why you're doing it, and how long it will probably be until the issue is resolved.

3. "Clearing out all these thorns and debris will make it easier for people to sneak back to the (golf course) clubhouse, rob the place, then quietly make their get-away." I think I laughed outloud on this one...which was probably insensitive of me. But after getting pictures of the Jesse James gang out of my head, I asked "have break-ins been a problem at the golf course in the past?" The answer was no...to which I said "well, why would you all of the sudden expect break-ins now?"

4. Similar to 3: "Disc golfers walking right behind my split wood piles are going to steal wood from me!" C'mon now...you know we ALL do it...carrying 18-24" chunks of wood around with us in our bags while we try and play our rounds. Since our bags weren't already heavy enough. So we can sneak home and roast a few hot dogs or marshmallows while feeling proud at our sinister ability to commit the crime of the century.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Residents having property adjacent to the course may be concerned that it will attract a drug element that puts their kids at risk. Putting a course there may actually prevent a bad element from using the land to conduct illegal activity, or run off such an element if it is already in residence.

Also, trespass onto nearby private property to retrieve discs may lead to complaints and law suits for nuisance, etc. Course design may be able to eliminate that issue by implementing a layout that avoids the risk of errant discs landing on private property. Also, any newcomers who move in next to the course once it is in existence will have no right to bring a nuisance suit, because they came to the course; the course didn't come to them. So if the layout can avoid intersecting existing housing, that should be sufficient. You don't have to imagine problems that don't exist yet and try to avoid those in perpetuity. I am not your lawyer. This is not legal advice.

If it is already a park with walking/jogging paths or hiking trails, there may be concerns that golfers will be yelling profanities, or hitting people with discs, etc. Not much you can do about that beyond a layout that avoids intersecting the areas used for other purposes.

Cutting of trees can lead to complaints of water table alteration leading to collapse or shift in foundations of nearby houses. You might suggest replanting a tree off the fairway for each tree cut, or cutting no trees at all.

Cost go beyond installation of baskets and tees. If there are no restroom facilities, these will need to be added to avoid golfers dropping trow in the woods. Parking areas may need to be added or expanded. Trash cans and servicing will need to be provided or stepped up. These costs are not insignificant. Also, vandalism is inevitable. Maintenance and repair costs for tees, baskets, signs, and benches will exist, but they are much lower than for a ball golf course. If the course is suitable for tournament play, the city can recoup some of these costs by charging to reserve the course.