Disc Golf Center
Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 PM

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Backyard Courses

I have been working on my course a lot recently; got about 13 holes but its a pitch and putt course. This course works fine for me because I don't want to throw my arm out on every hole. My question is; How many people have backyard courses that we're designed and built by them? How many people have bought land just to put a disc course on? I'll post some pictures this weekend when I have some time in the light.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 66
You'll probably get some replies referring to other similar threads, but Knobley Mt. DGC is mine. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3839
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 1128
Yeah, I have a course in my backyard. I'm the caretaker for a YMCA camp, I live on site and I have around 15 acres of dense woods to play around in. Link in sig.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Yes, on both counts; I have a course in my backyard, and bought land just to build a course. Well, that's not quite true; I bought it to build a course and a house.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 5
My uncle made one years back that we would play every day (nothing special) but the nearby college kids came by and stole our baskets
Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Yes, on both counts; I have a course in my backyard, and bought land just to build a course. Well, that's not quite true; I bought it to build a course and a house.
That's what the folks who own Cabin Creek did. They specifically had disc golf in mind when looking at different pieces of property to build on... I'd say the chose.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHFH
My cousin has helped design a couple of courses and has a few holes behind his house. Has serious potential but he doesn't have the income to make permanent pads or maintain the land to its ideal state.

I have two holes in my yard. One 300ft dog leg left through a tree tunnel and one 235 a curve shot going around the other side of the house. Nothing crazy but it keeps the mid/putter drives sharp.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
If I'm lucky, I'll be starting on a course in the woods behind my house soon. It's a big if though. There's the whole matter of figuring out who owns the property, then seeing if they would mind me putting in a course. However, due to limited funds, that basically would be me hanging some makeshift wind chimes from trees and trimming a few branches here and there. And then clearing the fairways of vines/thorns would be a huge undertaking. So like I said, if I'm lucky.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Birdie Member

I like to categorize backyard courses into a couple of named varieties

Starburst design: one or two baskets, centrally located with walk out - play in to basket. Usually many of the "tees" are off property, out across the street, from a neighboring field, etc.

Spiderweb courses: several baskets, mostly spread around the periphery, but maybe one or two central. A Criss crossing layout back and forth, diagonal. So that if you mapped it, it'd look like a spiderweb with node points.

Crossing fairway links: almost there, but enabled by a (few) crossing fairways. 12-18 baskets, one main routing for a full "round". Maybe an alternate routing or two exists. The rule of thumb for this style is that it could support two, three, (maybe) four playing groups at one time, but by god not a full field as carnage could still occur.

Full meal deal. 9 hole, 18 hole or more varieties. No crossers, and safe for a full field. These are the most rare of home courses. (but also the most epic especially when a special event gets planned)

Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Nice. I'm never sure, when people post about backyard courses, which category they're talking about---and whether my yard falls into their category.